PDA

View Full Version : reobtaining iweb local files after data loss

lenman74
19th March 2007, 06:11 PM
Hi

Before I lost my MBP laptop computer I had used iWeb to create a blog style site using my .mac account.

I have since lost the notebook and I want to keep blogging using the wifes macbook.

Problem is is that her macbook is associated with another .mac account and even if it wasn't there is no local version of the site/blog so I assume it would syncronise the server resulting in a deleted web site?

Does anyone know how to get a local copy of the site back on a laptop?

And is there any way of switching between different .mac sites built on the one laptop (different .mac accounts).

Any help appreciated.
Ta

GimliNZ
19th March 2007, 06:31 PM
This seems to be one of the biggest drawbacks of iWeb.

I had a similar experience, whereby I was wanting to create a new site under another account and in the process deleted my own site from iWeb.

This was about a year ago and after fruitlessly searching for a simple solution, basically stopped trying after a couple of months.

Sorry I can't offer anything constructive but I hope you have better luck than I did.

lenman74
19th March 2007, 07:00 PM
Yeah

I sorta assumed that there would be a work around.

I havent been into iDisk since iWeb kicked in, but can you access it in the same way "sites" accessed the area served up on homepage.mac.com? What if I could get in and grab all the HTML files? Can they be imported into iWeb?

luke_in_tas
19th March 2007, 07:15 PM
I don't think there is any way you can import your site back from what is hosted on your .Mac account. The only real way forward will be to re-create your site and just copy the content from the existing site into the new iWeb project. Just make sure you copy everything you want from the site before you re-publish and overwrite it.

As to how you use multiple .Mac accounts on your wife's MacBook, that's easy: Set up a user account for each of you on it. Her account can be set to use her .Mac service, and your account can be set up to use yours.

lenman74
19th March 2007, 09:25 PM
As to how you use multiple .Mac accounts on your wife's MacBook, that's easy: Set up a user account for each of you on it. Her account can be set to use her .Mac service, and your account can be set up to use yours.

fantastic tip. im such a dufus.

recovering the website sounds painful in the extreme.

bugger

lenman74
21st March 2007, 11:46 AM
I opened my iDisk last night and found that there is a folder called "Sites" and one called "Web" or "iweb".

So it looks like I can get the site down off the server.

Maybe the best thing to do then would be to import it into dreamweaver and keep uploading the modified sight from thereafter.

I really want to use iWeb however.

Any other ideas?