PDA

View Full Version : Divx and toast troubles

benproc
19th March 2007, 03:40 PM
usually, i can play divx videos in quicktime and burn them using toast to a dvd which will play in all dvd players. i have a video file at the moment that will not play in quicktime, all i get is sound, but will play in vlc. toast does not recognise the video in the file either. can anyone shed some light on this for me?

hawker
19th March 2007, 03:43 PM
VLC can play just about anything. I'd say its a file Quicktime and Toast just can't understand - you can try chucking it in FFMPEG to find out what codec the actual file is, you can also use that program to change it to something that should work in Quicktime and Toast!

benproc
27th March 2007, 11:16 AM
thought i had this problem solved when i downloaded the codec pack mentioned in the lates news thread. played the file in quicktime and it worked. this morning though i tried it again, without changing anything and its back to displaying no picture.

gilligan911
27th March 2007, 11:37 AM
this will happen from time to time. the codec pask at the twenty08 blog is very good but occasionally you will strike something that has been coded weird and won't work. I have some divX stuff that is supposed to have ac3/a52 audio but no matter what I do I can't get it to play with sound - unless I use VLC...

best thing at this stage is to follow hawker's suggest and drop it into ffmpegx which will give you the details of what sort of video encoding (you can get the same info in VLC by opening the file then video --> information (or apple+i)). this may give you a lead as to what codec you are missing and you can then try google.

try ffmpegx to convert it to mp4 or something else more quicktime friendly. unfortunately there is a real chance that it still won't work.

good luck.