PDA

View Full Version : Camera Tripods

decryption
1st January 2005, 08:56 PM
I'm in the market for a camera tripod (for a Pentax *ist DS to be exact). Something around 2M high and light as possible!

Anyone have any recommendations on places to look for one/or recommendations on tripods themselves?

asphotos
1st January 2005, 09:33 PM
manfrotto.. dont look at ANY other brands

where are you?.

www.centre.net.au has some price guides

the 190c isnt bad, not the lightest, but very robust!

also, www.europeancameras.com has some second hand ones from time to time (a store in sydney)

asphotos
1st January 2005, 09:34 PM
then I see you are in richmond.

go into the city, and bargin, any of the stores along elizabeth st will sell manfrotto,

a manfrotto tripod will outlast the camera ;)

decryption
1st January 2005, 09:34 PM
I'm in Melbourne..
Centre.net.au is where I plan on buying my camera and other accessories from :P

The Manfrotto tripods seem very expensive, why are they so expensive?

asphotos
1st January 2005, 09:37 PM
because they are quality..

you can get a cheap inca/no name brand tripod designed for a video camera on a budget and it will work, but will get shake, or break quickly.

buy a $2000 camera, but a decent tripod for it.

the 190c should be around $200.

estoyloco
2nd January 2005, 01:52 AM
Yeah decryption, there is a place on elizibeth st right on cnr of little burke (on the right if your facing colonial stadium way) that sells cheap tripods that will go approx that height but they are very flimsy looking etc.. look through them all as they range from $24-70... you might get lucky and find a fairly sturdy one.. not much use getting a flimsy one if its going to shake anyway..

if you wanted a cheapish/quality one try velbon.. they will have some for around $80 that are good(enough) construction

perhaps try and get the guy from centre.net.au to give you a deal..

Thing is if you buy cheap things they end up being expensive as you throw them away to by something better in the end cos they break or are just crap...

AusMac
2nd January 2005, 02:13 AM
I have cheap tripod's that have outlasted several cameras. The thing is that they have to work properly. Some of the cheaper ones do not stay set where you set them, right from the beginning and some some of the locking devices wear out over time. However the real issue is, how often do you plan to use the tripod? If it is for a session here and one there over time well any cheap tripod will do but if you intend to use it every day well the only answer is to buy the most serviceable one. Brand name and price mean nothing.. Buy one that you like the feel of. One that most suits your needs.

vicmeldrew
2nd January 2005, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by AusMac@Jan 2 2005, 02:13 AM
the only answer is to buy the most serviceable one.
Tripods with less leg extensions are more solid. Avoid anything with more than 3 sections, but if you are serious you'll use a 2 section. I have found tripods with a ball joint head the easiest to use and Manfrotto the best mainstream brand.
Richard

Jimbo
2nd January 2005, 10:10 AM
if money is no object go for a miller fluid head.

The only way to mount cameras.

But, seriously none of us have $2000 lying around,
Just take you camera in, bung it on the tripod and play around, if its smooth, not jittery and feels nice, then take t (after paying for it, unless you're that way inclined)

but yeah, no more than two leg extensions
But now i see its not for video work, just get something that sits still for a while and doesn't lose its position with a big ole heavy camera on it.

Jim

hawker
2nd January 2005, 10:38 AM
Miller is a good brand. Make tripods for mainly top of the range cameras, usually find them in the TV industry. I know I used a $1500 Miller Tripod for a few years... Maybe they have a cheaper version who knows.

pipsqeek
2nd January 2005, 10:00 PM
If money is an issue, then just try out some tri-pods and buy the one that comes the closest to your needs.

Otherwise, Manfrotto.

One thing to look at on any tri-pod is the area where the legs hindge on the base of the tri-pod. Make sure its metal, not "high quality PVC plastic".

You'll pay for it, but you'll only have to buy the one tri-pod, even through the years with many cameras.

pipsqeek

Mike V
13th January 2005, 10:56 AM
Miller don't make tripods for stills cameras.
They make video tripods.

It is useless getting a fluid head for a stills camera as you want to lock the camera off, not move it in-shot.

Whilst Miller do make some good products (especially for the price), they are considered to be the low end of video tripods. Better tripods for video use are Sachtler and O'Connor. Although obviously at a much higher price point.

The thing with a stills tripods is that cheap ones are horrible to use and don't lock off solidly.

It is better value to get a good tripod, buy it once and keep it for life.

For stills I really like Manfrotto and Gitzo.

Pay a bit more and get much better value for money.

Manfrotto Australia (http://www.manfrotto.com.au/)

hawker
13th January 2005, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Mike V@Jan 13 2005, 10:56 AM
Miller don't make tripods for stills cameras.
They make video tripods.

Whilst Miller do make some good products (especially for the price), they are considered to be the low end of video tripods. Better tripods for video use are Sachtler and O'Connor. Although obviously at a much higher price point.
Agreed that Miller are overkill for this camera.

I'd check your facts re. Miller top of the line tripods. They do make them, we used Miller Tripods with our Betacam Cameras, and you don't loose cheap tripods with $100,000 cameras...

If you're looking support for an actual FILM camera, I would not use a miller, that would be the stop point I'd say!

mart
13th January 2005, 11:45 AM
I agree with the Manfrotto gang.

Beware...light tripods are just that , light! so they can wobble or as what happened to a friend on a shoot, blow over with a strong gust of wind and smash your camera!

My trpod is heavy but my shots are rock solid.

p.s. The Manfrotto's also have more options than the cheapies like legs that can position independantly, shafts that can be mounted sidways etc. Worth a look :)

estoyloco
13th January 2005, 12:16 PM
anyone found a cheap place to get manfrotto? besides centre.net.au?

my friend just got one (full retail) and i want one now...

there is no accounting for its qulaity and people are right.. you get this once and keep it for life..

like i said earlier cheap things end up being more expensive as you have to replace them etc in the long run..

adsis1
21st January 2005, 08:36 PM
i bought a
Manfrotto 190CL Classic tripod - $175
Manfrotto 141RC Head - $89.21
from Ted's Camera Store in Sydney

i use a Sony DSC-W1 digita camera...and the tripod works like a dream....

bernie234
21st January 2005, 09:33 PM
from a professional photographer.........I have a manfrotto which has given me over 14 years of professional use, and still in good working order, after being down mines, put into salt water and hosed off used in swiming pools, but do I need to go on..........just go and get a manfrotto....