PDA

View Full Version : Can't delete a particular file (Finder crashing)

Repulse
18th March 2007, 08:53 PM
Hi all,

I have an issue here. Whenever I try to delete a certain .avi file in my Movies folder, it restarts Finder leaving the .avi file where it just was. It seems to only happen with this particular file (I have about 40 others in the folder - they all move off to the Trash without issues). What could be causing this?

Also, is there another way I can delete it? I have tried to drag it to the Trash as I would with any other file, but like I said it quits the Finder. Right-clicking > Move to Trash does the same thing also.

astr0b0y
18th March 2007, 08:55 PM
Try this in Terminal:

Type rm -f then drag the offending file into the terminal window. Press return.

Repulse
18th March 2007, 09:01 PM
drag the offending file into the terminal window.

Ok, I just gave that a go. It seems that Finder quits the split second after I start to drag it. Is there something I can type into Terminal that could delete it without the use of Finder? (I rarely use Terminal so I wouldn't know myself)

astr0b0y
18th March 2007, 09:04 PM
Do you have your Finder in column view? If so, then the Finder will try and load the file (sounds like it is corrupt).
You could try changing the view.

Or type the full path:

rm -f '~/Movies/Name of movie.avi'

Repulse
18th March 2007, 09:09 PM
Ah, there we go! That's exactly what it was doing (trying to show a preview of a corrupt file). Thanks. :)

(I hate it when it's something so simple and obvious!)

Currawong
18th March 2007, 10:42 PM
You might want to boot from your install DVD and run Disk Utility over your hard disk, just in case there are other issues caused by corrupt directory data.