PDA

View Full Version : Bootcamp + Vista

MyMedia
18th March 2007, 02:44 PM
Hi Guys,

I need vista for work, don't bag me :( And I have an Intel MBP, so no adobe photoshop native for me. Has anyone got Vista working on bootcamp? I did a bit of research on the web, it doesn't seem very straight forward. Does anyone have a detailed How-to guide anywhere?

Oh, and I am using Vista Business, I got 10 licenses for my business.

Thanks.

tintinaujapon
18th March 2007, 02:56 PM
I need vista for work, don't bag me

Haha. Nice deflection.

How about the information here:

http://tinyurl.com/lskk5

Good luck.

MyMedia
18th March 2007, 03:08 PM
yeah, thanks! I saw something similar to deleting a partition on the apple forums also. Is this the only known way at the moment? Have the newer bootcamp and Vista Release Version fixed any of this?

MyMedia
18th March 2007, 03:14 PM
well, vista isn't that bad...

apart from it blue screened on the first install.
failed to install the first patch, and then crashed
nvidia don't have a vista driver (not ms fault, but it still suck)
photoshop didn't install, second time it did thou
"power button" (sleep) didn't work, it never wakes up, and if it does, its a blue screen...

(this is from my PC)

I just want to use visual studio...

OziMac
20th March 2007, 06:02 PM
I took a gamble and used Bootcamp 1.2 to have a go at installing Vista on my 1.5 Core Solo Mini.

Instead of inserting the WIndows XP disk on restarting from OS X, I inserted the Vista disk.

Lo and behold, Vista installed without a hitch and works fine - though of the 11GB I devoted to the Bootcamp partition, Vista chewed about 7GB of it.

I get a Windows Experience score of 2.0, thanks to the paltry 512MB of RAM - though the next nearest score is 3.6, so if I put extra RAM into it it should be able to do Aero etc. The Bootcamp drivers didn't install completely, but so far everything seems to work.

The only downside is that rather than automatically booting into OS X, the Mini boots into Vista. I have to hold Option to boot into OS X, but for the number of restarts that's not a huge deal.

So - it can be done straight up with few hitches, but I guess YMMV. :)

Creative Insanity
20th March 2007, 08:17 PM
What stuns me is why would anyone want waste space on BootCamp and ever worse Windows? I got a Mac to use a run OSX not windows.

OziMac
20th March 2007, 08:37 PM
What stuns me is why would anyone want waste space on BootCamp and ever worse Windows? I got a Mac to use a run OSX not windows.

Good for you.

Remorhaz
20th March 2007, 10:05 PM
I did this a little while back on my MBP and it was relatively painless once I'd figured out what to do - I blogged my basic instructions, etc at: http://www.rc.au.net/blog/2007/02/13/installing-windows-vista-using-bootcamp-on-a-macbook-pro/

Currawong
20th March 2007, 10:14 PM
If I had a Mac Pro, I'd probably run an XP partition for gaming, running it in Parallels for the times I need to check or use a web site in Explorer.

I gather though that Vista now works in the latest Bootcamp without issues.

ninja
20th March 2007, 10:24 PM
Can you remove a bootcamp partition easily once you dont want it anymore?

grfxninja
20th March 2007, 10:26 PM
The only downside is that rather than automatically booting into OS X, the Mini boots into Vista. I have to hold Option to boot into OS X, but for the number of restarts that's not a huge deal.

Try setting the startup disk in OS X Preferences to your Mac Hard Drive.
I dont know if you have it in Vista or not, but in XP when using the Apple Drivers, there is also a startup Disk control panel installed which lets you set your preferred startup option (mac or win)

Hope this helps

grfxninja
20th March 2007, 10:27 PM
Can you remove a bootcamp partition easily once you dont want it anymore?

A simple matter of running the Bootcamp installer and changing the partition structure back to your previous configuration (i.e. a single partition)

ninja
20th March 2007, 10:30 PM
A simple matter of running the Bootcamp installer and changing the partition structure back to your previous configuration (i.e. a single partition)

Thanks!

mjankor
20th March 2007, 11:15 PM

*Looks for the Mac version of Autocad, Liscad and 12D.

Jimbo
21st March 2007, 01:39 AM
rhino 3ds and battlefield 2

ninja
21st March 2007, 09:26 PM
As anyone tried installing Vista first up with boot camp? That is, without having previously installed XP

OziMac
21st March 2007, 10:46 PM
As anyone tried installing Vista first up with boot camp? That is, without having previously installed XP

Yeah, as I mentioned, that's exactly what I did - and it worked fine. :)

ninja
22nd March 2007, 06:54 AM
Thanks... What do i have to be very cautious of when im selecting the partition so i dont erase osx?

dvlzplayground
7th April 2007, 02:14 AM
....The Bootcamp drivers didn't install completely, but so far everything seems to work.

what drivers didn't install?