PDA

View Full Version : Should I upgrade to Vista?



BlowMeDown
18th March 2007, 09:29 AM
I know that Vista has been discussed a bit here, but my dilemma is concerning upgrading from XP in my Bootcamp to Vista.

In June I'll be getting a new Mac and as a programmer and a web designer I was wondering if I should update to Vista at that time also? It's not just a case of keeping up with the latest software but more so in keeping up with the latest technology due to web designing and programming (I use XP to check everything I've done is Windows friendly).

At this point I'm at the end of my Windows reinstalls and will either have to get another XP or Vista. I guess eventually I'll have to get Vista.

I'd like some honest and educated opinions please.

dev_enter
18th March 2007, 09:39 AM
What do you mean by "I'm at the end of my Windows reinstalls"?

hawker
18th March 2007, 09:40 AM
From an IT perspective, I'd be waiting for SP1, still has some bugs and because of the restraints Microsoft are putting on developers (in regards to testing of drivers) a lot of things will take a while to be well and truly stable on that platform. That is my true and valid assessment, being non-bias.

As it stands we recommend to our business clients do not buy install or use vista yet, they keep the upgrade discs but continue to use XP.

BlowMeDown
18th March 2007, 09:47 AM
What do you mean by "I'm at the end of my Windows reinstalls"?

Oh sorry :o Well I have reinstalled XP a few times (thanks to the Parallels and Bootcamp developments) and now I am at the end of the maximum number of validations, so legally I'm required to buy another copy of XP or jump through hoops over the phone with MS to get them to validate it.

dev_enter
18th March 2007, 09:50 AM
From all the stories I've heard about activating via the phone, it hasn't been too bad. I don't see why you'd want to drop more money on it, rather than make a 5 minute phone call.

MacTime
18th March 2007, 10:20 AM
From an IT perspective, I'd be waiting for SP1, still has some bugs and because of the restraints Microsoft are putting on developers (in regards to testing of drivers) a lot of things will take a while to be well and truly stable on that platform. That is my true and valid assessment, being non-bias.

As it stands we recommend to our business clients do not buy install or use vista yet, they keep the upgrade discs but continue to use XP.

That's exactly what our IT guy at work said, and he's a huge Windows fan. He won't sell Vista to his customers yet, instead he insists they run XP till SP1 for Vista arrives.

Linux_insidev2
18th March 2007, 10:33 AM
Oh sorry :o Well I have reinstalled XP a few times (thanks to the Parallels and Bootcamp developments) and now I am at the end of the maximum number of validations, so legally I'm required to buy another copy of XP or jump through hoops over the phone with MS to get them to validate it.

When i worked in the computer shop we had troubles like that all the time, we figured out a way to get it activated promptly without jumping through hoops.

Basically they will ask you why you want to reactivate after that amount of times, if you tell them the real reason they will usually deny you the activation so all you need to do is tell them your mainboard was faulty and was subsequently replaced.

gehenna
18th March 2007, 10:33 AM
i'm curious about what mac you will be getting and are considering installing this on?
i've got vista running in boot camp on my 24" imac - and it works perfectly. I think the only issue i've got is getting it to recognise the bluetooth module so i can use my apple mouse/keyboard. but then, if you install it in bootcamp and run that bootcamp partition in parallels that problem seems to disappear.

its a valid point about waiting for sp1. however since all the variations of macs have the same hardware (ie same hardware for all imacs, same for all mac pro's etc) then the driver issue isn't that big of a deal because the bootcamp driver cd seems to have it covered. if you were installing vista on say, different machines (a dell vs hp vs ibm vs self-built) you will probably run into compatibility problems. i don't think thats so prevalent on the Mac bootcamp platform.

BlowMeDown
18th March 2007, 10:46 AM
I'd like to get a MBP (but may not be able to afford it considering) so I may be getting a MB.

Regardless of the re-activation process of XP, I guess my point is whether or not it's worthwhile getting Vista now. I understand waiting for an SP1 would possibly be a better idea. I guess waiting another year to go Vista might be more wise?

mechcon
18th March 2007, 11:03 AM
The reason why IT people wont roll them out till SP1 is so that they have time to learn about it for support ;)


I've got it now on me imac in parallels, and I must say, I've had no troubles with it whatsoever

geektechnu
18th March 2007, 11:20 AM
... It's not just a case of keeping up with the latest software but more so in keeping up with the latest technology due to web designing and programming (I use XP to check everything I've done is Windows friendly).
Vista isn't going to be changing the face of web design anytime soon - after all, IE7 uses the same rendering core regardless of whether you using it on XP or Vista.

At this point I'm at the end of my Windows reinstalls and will either have to get another XP or Vista. I guess eventually I'll have to get Vista.
Keep using your current copy of XP - you'll just need to activate by phone.

- dial the number and enter the key sequence given to you by XP.

If theres any complications you'll be put through to the activation support.
They'll have you activated before you know it.

jeremy_warnock
18th March 2007, 11:26 AM
The reason why IT people wont roll them out till SP1 is so that they have time to learn about it for support ;)


I've got it now on me imac in parallels, and I must say, I've had no troubles with it whatsoever

Not quite true mechcon, in my office we have a lot of purpose built apps - important office management/work flow databases and such. Their are two issues, first I look after an office of 200, only half the machines are capable of running vista, second until we get the thumbs up from the developers say that yes their product is tested with and they will now support vista we wont touch it.

On a personal leave, I would leave vista a little long wait for sp1 let some of the bugs get fixed and the hardware vendors catch up with drivers

hawker
18th March 2007, 05:25 PM
The reason why IT people wont roll them out till SP1 is so that they have time to learn about it for support ;)

Not true, I've been playing with vista for about 6 months now, I feel I can provide first line support for it, but when they don't have drivers for it, or drivers that are not currently that well tested or stable etc - it makes it harder to support it.

mechcon
18th March 2007, 05:33 PM
Well excuse me for not saying "one of the reasons" instead of "the reason" :P

I too can provide support for vista, but i'm not as confident in it as I would be with osx or xp. And yes, the software compatibility is an issue too.

MightyAtom
19th March 2007, 12:40 PM
Oh sorry :o Well I have reinstalled XP a few times (thanks to the Parallels and Bootcamp developments) and now I am at the end of the maximum number of validations

Just backup (http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/65312/)your activation data so you never need to activate again.