PDA

View Full Version : Running out of space: BootCamp

melted.marsbar
18th March 2007, 09:03 AM
'Morning Everyone :D

Just a quick question - am I able to create a second HDD that Windows can read/write to in BootCamp? I'm need to install another game (Command and Conquer Renegade, for those who are interested) but I don't have enough room on my drive to install it. I have searched around other forums and they say the only way to increase your space for Windows is by doing a fresh install of Windows and creating a larger partition.

So, creating a second drive... can it be done?

Thanks,
Mitch

dangelovich
18th March 2007, 09:06 AM
Yeah... just add a second drive, then in Windows, it should either appear in My Computer, or in Disk Management in Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management.
It'll most likely end up being E:

melted.marsbar
18th March 2007, 09:10 AM
But I have no extra space to create a partition from, only 128MB of Unallocated space. I'm assuming that's for a kind of swap/boot partition so I'm not going to touch that...

dangelovich
18th March 2007, 09:21 AM
If you want another drive, you'll either need an external HD, or a huge amount of unallocated space.
Sorry, I thought you already had one of the two. If you don't, you'll have to remove the Boot Camp partition and recreate it with a bigger size.

melted.marsbar
18th March 2007, 09:21 AM
Okidokie, thanks Dangelovich :)

stefanlod
18th March 2007, 10:01 PM
I thought you could resize partitions with BootCamp utility after you installed XP? My mistake...

On that, a question: is it possible to install Windows onto an external HDD in BootCamp?

Brewster
18th March 2007, 10:28 PM
On that, a question: is it possible to install Windows onto an external HDD in BootCamp?

Yes Bootcamp works fine, but I can't seem to get Paralells to work off the external drive.