PDA

View Full Version : XP on BootCamp won't recognize sound card.

iThinkMac
16th March 2007, 05:49 PM
Just a quick one. I have installed Windows XP pro (SP1) on my MBP using Boot Camp. Everything runs fine (including the graphics drivers) except for my sound. Can't hear anything, and the sound preferences pane doesn't register that I have a sound device. Any ideas? All I need is sound. Thanks.

P.S. Yes, I know Boot camp requires SP2 of XP, but I just thought I'd try, and all works except for the sound.

The Architect.mac
16th March 2007, 05:59 PM
you were lucky it installed, can you run the SP2 update over it before you try anything else...

iThinkMac
16th March 2007, 06:04 PM
Yes, I've installed it on two machines, and it didn't have any trouble either time. I think the reason that they say one need SP2 to install XP on Bootcamp is this: I have to stay with SP1, in answer to your question, I can't upgrate to SP2. It just won't work. What I'm wondering is whether there's a driver to download to make XP recognize my sound card. Don't really know, that's why I ask.

Byrd
16th March 2007, 06:12 PM
It's always been a requirement of Bootcamp: XP SP2 or bust, I'm afraid. Apple designers it's driver package to work primarily with this version of XP.

Why do you need SP1? It's unsecure and I don't know of any XP applications that won't work with SP2.

Alternate sound drivers for SP1 can be found here, with the caveat that internal speakers do not work, but external ones do:

http://wiki.onmac.net/index.php/Users/Drivers

The other option would be a external USB sound card.

JB

iThinkMac
19th March 2007, 08:28 AM
Sorry I haven't replied of late. I've been away.

Anyway, I'd really like SP2 and have no need for SP1 except that I don't have an XP install disc with SP2 already on it. I only have an upgrade disc to SP2, and BC won't upgrade as I explained.

I'll try those drivers anyway just in case they work. Thanks

Cam
19th March 2007, 08:47 AM
Im pretty sure, but not 100% positive, that the HD Audio Patch from Microsoft to allow UAA drivers to work requires Service Pack 2.

But theres no reason to not install SP2 if your running a full legitimate copy of Windows XP.... Removes those naggy "This copy of windows is insecure" messages aswell.

Wally
19th March 2007, 08:59 AM
you could slipstream the SP2 Install into teh SP1 disk you know

RyanVM or Nlite will do this :) (Too Lazy to link)

iThinkMac
19th March 2007, 07:56 PM
Still trying....the driver download didn't work. Trying wally4000's idea now.

geektechnu
19th March 2007, 08:53 PM
If you've got bootcamp working and need to create a slipstreamed XP CD, I highly recommend using nLite (http://www.nliteos.com/) to do it.

In addition to slipstreaming service packs, nLite lets you remove many components to make the install very slim.

iThinkMac
19th March 2007, 08:55 PM
Really. Well at this stage, I think that may be the way to go. I'll give it a shot.