PDA

View Full Version : Apple Mail App and Optusnet Cable

kenexx
14th March 2007, 05:14 PM
Hi Everyone

I have done a quick search of the forums but cant seem to find anything. A Mac newbie friend in Melbourne using an Intel 20" iMac on Optusnet cable has a problem with mail downloading from Optusnet to the iMac.

Not long after first getting the iMac and setting it up the little pop up box appeared in mail that says something about the pop server and enter your password etc. Instead of entering his mail password he clicked on no or cancel. In fact I also use Optusnet cable and had the same thing this afternoon. I get it from time to time and always enter my password and mail seems to get on with things.

Ever since then his mail wont download into the Mail app. He set up another optusnet mail account with a different user name and created in Mail an account for that. The mail downloads into Mail with no problems from the new email address.

Optusnet keep saying it's a problem with the Mac. I have been thru it over the fone with him and his account is set up exactly on his Mac the same as mine is on this one.

Sorry for being so long winded but it's beginning to drive him insane. Has anyone else experienced a similar/same problem and has any success with a fix?

Thanks heaps :)

The Architect.mac
14th March 2007, 05:20 PM
POP server
mail.optusnet.com.au
SMTP server
mail.optusnet.com.au
Username login
Not the full email address

- just to check -

also 10.4.9 and full software update would be a good move to eliminate some variables...

kenexx
14th March 2007, 05:27 PM
Yep his settings are correct and have always been so. I made sure I went thru that on the fone with him. It's really bizarre :eek:

sunrisesister
14th March 2007, 05:34 PM
tell him to delete the account, and start again. then, reboot. may help.

Flinders1231
14th March 2007, 05:48 PM
I have had a lonstanding problem with Apple Mail - over a couple of machines and several OS versions.

When I start the application it typically stalls & then I have to Force Quit. {I am confident this is not an ISP issue} This is fixed (at least untill I turn the iMac off) by deleting two or three email password entries from the Keychain - resetting the keychain to default also works, but it appears uneccesary & my solution save a lot of password maintenance.

Its quite possible the seeds of this problem goes back to when I moved Apple Mail from the Application folder. When I was a newbie I was told Mac OS was indestructable - but apparently I learnt later you should not move applications that are embedded with the OS like Apple Mail.

I have done a lot of research on this & other mail problems. Some users have just given up on Mail & gone to Thunderbird or similar because if the "obvious" correction/maintenace moves do not work - the help suggestions become very scarce. You might want to try the keychain thing out of curiosity. In my case I also recently did a custom install of just Apple Mail - this did not help me & suggests there is an interface bug/glitch with the OS but it is something else you might consider.

In my case I am relatively confident that a full OS reinstall would fix my problem - this is an option I am resisting because of the work involved in getting everything operating to my satisfaction. I am hoping next major OS upgrade might fix my problem automatically like - I am doubtful. Needless to say really miffed at having to fiddle with keychain every morning to get Mail going.

kenexx
14th March 2007, 06:00 PM
tell him to delete the account, and start again. then, reboot. may help.

We have done all that a million times - well quite a few at least to no avail :confused:

Fino_Mac
14th March 2007, 06:15 PM
I had the sameproblem.
I got rid of Mail 10.3.9, and installed 10.3.8 off my original software CD, using Pacifist.
Now it works fine.