PDA

View Full Version : Linux on your Dell?

vicmeldrew
14th March 2007, 03:01 PM
Story in the SMH (http://www.smh.com.au/news/laptops--desktops/dell-flirts-with-linux/2007/03/14/1173722523604.html) says that Dell is considering selling computers preinstalled with Linux. Dell have posted a poll on their website to gauge customer interest.
http://www.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/corp/linux?s=corp

Hope this is in right forum.

hawker
14th March 2007, 03:06 PM
about time. good move forward.

wonder if they'll try and charge for it though! I recommend ubuntu as the preferred linux installed!

Mohawk
14th March 2007, 03:32 PM
I can't be the only person who thinks this will probably be a massive waste of time and money for Dell. I don't really see this can grow the Linux user base any more than where it is currently.

Mum and pop who want a new cheap computer aren't going to buy the one that wont run the software their kids already bought them. And what kind of Linux user is going to actually buy a Dell box? If they already use Linux, they KNOW how to assemble their own computer and for far less money than Dell charges.

The only area I can think of that might opt in for this would be schools & business, an area currently dominated by Windows (and Macs for a few lucky schools) and that isn't going to change just because Dell starts offering Linux with their computers. Also I'm guessing that as soon as a business buys dell PC's the first thing their tech crew do is reformat and install their own OS/software onto it.

This will be a real waste of money that Dell will be forced to make so to appear like they're listening to their 'customers', when in fact its just a bunch of linux/digg users voting yes on a website poll, not real customers who actually buy Dell computers, you know, the ones that should really matter...

sorry about the rant :p

Byrd
14th March 2007, 05:42 PM
Good points Mohawk - there has been much talk of this over the years, and I can't see the point unless you are forced to pay for Windows with a new computer if you want it or not - having the option of Linux is nice, but hardly a drawcard when it can be installed and downloaded later on.

JB