PDA

View Full Version : Buying Leopard

warren21
14th March 2007, 09:15 AM
Hi,

Just interested to know who will purchase Leopard hot off the shelf when it's released or wait for the first update?

Goodbye
14th March 2007, 09:16 AM
I shall, on the day it's released.

decryption
14th March 2007, 09:20 AM
Just like Panther & Tiger, I will be there waiting in queue for my copy of Leopard the second they let me buy it (MyMac in Flinders Street looks likely) :D

thorevenge
14th March 2007, 09:21 AM
Interesting poll.

Does anyone remember that GM's of Tiger were shipped early? And how they showed up on Linux ISO channels?

I'd purchase it when I have the money too. But to be honest I don't know if I would want it for features or something else. None of the features in Leopard interest me that much... :(

spargo
14th March 2007, 09:23 AM
I want Time Machine - I will be buying asap..

macintoshix
14th March 2007, 09:23 AM
Not me Unfortunatly not sure if leopard will be compatible for my old G4?

But if it is, i will get a copy down the road.

Anyone have any idea of how much leopard might cost on release?

mechcon
14th March 2007, 09:27 AM
the sawtooth? should be. as long as it has the ram

MacTime
14th March 2007, 09:33 AM
Yes, I'll be picking it up on the day, I really want Time Machine.

Razer
14th March 2007, 09:35 AM
Interesting poll.

Does anyone remember that GM's of Tiger were shipped early? And how they showed up on Linux ISO channels?

I'd purchase it when I have the money too. But to be honest I don't know if I would want it for features or something else. None of the features in Leopard interest me that much... :(

Anyone think that Apple will actually use some type of copy protection or anti-piracy method in this release?

sendai
14th March 2007, 09:36 AM
Sawtooth, yeah, not too sure about those...

It should cost the same as Tiger currently does, for both single and family packs ($199 and $299 respectively.)

Anyone think that Apple will actually use some type of copy protection or anti-piracy method in this release?And go completely against what Jobs said a while back? Perhaps ;)

benmcgruer
14th March 2007, 09:45 AM
I want Time Machine - I will be buying asap..

I used time machine to buy it last week. . . Welcome to the world of tomorrow!

Squozen
14th March 2007, 09:49 AM
Anyone think that Apple will actually use some type of copy protection or anti-piracy method in this release?

No. Although if enough people steal it instead of paying for it, maybe they will in the future, eh? Do you want to end up like a Windows user? I don't. :)

Razer
14th March 2007, 10:00 AM
Sawtooth, yeah, not too sure about those...

It should cost the same as Tiger currently does, for both single and family packs ($199 and $299 respectively.)

And go completely against what Jobs said a while back? Perhaps ;)

Wouldn't be the first time, I think Music DRM and software piracy are different things though.

lukerhn
14th March 2007, 10:02 AM
I reckon Leopard will cost more… it seems iLife is becoming more and more dependant on the OS, so I wouldn't be surprised if they charged a little more for it and bundled iLife... it makes sense for customers not having to spend $199 + $120 just to get the new features. That way iWork just becomes the bundle that you have to find a few more $$ for!

But yeah, the second it's out I'll be there waiting. When Tiger came out I was working @ a reseller and had it on my Mac 4 days before it launched :D doubt that'll happen this time though!

gelfie
14th March 2007, 10:04 AM
They won't Bundle. Why charge you for something once. When they can sell you the OS and THEN sell you iLife?

And they won't copy protect.

And I will buy it when it is first released.

sunrisesister
14th March 2007, 10:15 AM
I'll be buying a family pack as soon as i can :)

marc
14th March 2007, 10:23 AM
I'll be hitting "BUY!!!" the second it's out.

I ran 10.4.0 with no issues. OS X is pretty mature now, I wouldn't expect any serious issues with non-leopard features in 10.5.0. Plus, loepard has taken a while... I don't think there's any pressure on Apple to rush this one. They may as well wait a little and get it right.

Arkhum_Eramak
14th March 2007, 10:29 AM
I agree with Marc there - I had no probs with 10.4.0 nd Apple can really take their time with this one. I must say that I'll be there when it officially launches, although I'll probably hold off on updating my PowerMac until I have a pretty clear confirmation that there will be no issues. I'm all well and good on the updating scene and all, but I saw how bad we got burned with a combination of updates and dodgy tech support in my college days (using Final Cut Pro 3).
I guess now that I work with my computer more and more updating becomes that little bit scarier. Good thing I have my PowerBook to take it like a bitch when it first comes out! Since its basically just an internet computer it'll be a good test platform! And I'll watch the user feedback here like a hwak and then probably install on my main work machine if its confirmed to be 'all good'.

thorevenge
14th March 2007, 10:36 AM
I reckon Leopard will cost more… it seems iLife is becoming more and more dependant on the OS, so I wouldn't be surprised if they charged a little more for it and bundled iLife... it makes sense for customers not having to spend $199 + $120 just to get the new features. That way iWork just becomes the bundle that you have to find a few more $$ for!

But yeah, the second it's out I'll be there waiting. When Tiger came out I was working @ a reseller and had it on my Mac 4 days before it launched :D doubt that'll happen this time though!

I remember a certain piece of software becoming more and more reliant on the OS, or rather the OS became more and more reliant on the software so that it had to be bundled.

I don't want to see Apple go down that road. iLife is fantastic, I agree but not everyone needs it. If Apple felt that everyone needed it, they would bundle it like "Windows Movie Maker" or "Microsoft Photo Editor" is bundled. To be perfectly honest I've never seen anyone ever use these apps before.

So yeah, I think bundling isn't the greatest idea at this point in time - not until everyone needs it in any case.

madmacs
14th March 2007, 10:38 AM
I would wait till the 'features' are all sorted out. There are features in Leopard that I would use in my daily work but I am happy with the way my system is going and I wouldn't trade stability for extra features.

As the old saying goes, don't fix it if it ain't broken.

Repulse
14th March 2007, 10:42 AM
I'll be buying hopefully within the first week of its release (and hopefully they aren't sold out!).

Time Machine and Spaces are the main features I'm looking forward to. :)

warren21
14th March 2007, 10:45 AM
I hope the UI is awsome and shits all over VISTA.........

marc
14th March 2007, 10:56 AM
I remember a certain piece of software becoming more and more reliant on the OS, or rather the OS became more and more reliant on the software so that it had to be bundled.
There's a difference here though... OS X is adding PUBLIC frameworks that are amazing (Core Animation, Time Machine etc) that ANY app can use. So relying on them and having them as part of the OS is a very, very good thing.

Burying secret frameworks for use as a competitive advantage isn't nice. I don't think Apple have really ever done that.

jeremy_warnock
14th March 2007, 10:58 AM

I don't want to see Apple go down that road. iLife is fantastic, I agree but not everyone needs it. If Apple felt that everyone needed it, they would bundle it like "Windows Movie Maker" or "Microsoft Photo Editor" is bundled. To be perfectly honest I've never seen anyone ever use these apps before.

So yeah, I think bundling isn't the greatest idea at this point in time - not until everyone needs it in any case.

Bundling would be good only if it gave the buyer a reduced cost and you could still get the individual versions if you would prefer. I will getting both 10.5 & ilife 07 so instead of paying $199 for the os and $120 for ilife if we could get a combined pack for say $250 or something that would be great.

My questions is on the family packs - I have a macbook & a powerbook, will the os be a true universal install and work on both laptops or will we need to buy a version for ppc and one for intel?

marc
14th March 2007, 11:00 AM
My questions is on the family packs - I have a macbook & a powerbook, will the os be a true universal install and work on both laptops or will we need to buy a version for ppc and one for intel?
My guess is one retail box for both platforms.

It'd be very unapple-like to have 2 boxes when you only need one.

lukerhn
14th March 2007, 11:06 AM
Came across this photo (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bartelme/366938760/) on Flickr. Looks like Apple have added the ability to browse your iLife media via open dialogs! Even if Apple doesn't bundle iLife with Leopard it will be a great feature to get into your media more easily!

Arkhum_Eramak
14th March 2007, 11:14 AM
I have to say I wouldn't want OSX to cost more for the iLife apps to be bundled. I use iTunes, but none of the other apps, so especially none of the 'non-free' apps. I used to install iLife (I own a retail copy) but I don't even bother with that anymore. I want to have a play in GarageBand at some stage, but I'd prefer the choice.
I'm all for an optional bundle that gives you both for a reasonable price. Given the choice, I think that ironically I'd buy the bundle, but I guess thats the consumerist mentality. As long as you think you make a saving, you are the winner, right? :P

marc
14th March 2007, 11:29 AM
I have to say I wouldn't want OSX to cost more for the iLife apps to be bundled. I use iTunes, but none of the other apps, so especially none of the 'non-free' apps. I used to install iLife (I own a retail copy) but I don't even bother with that anymore. I want to have a play in GarageBand at some stage, but I'd prefer the choice.
I'm in exactly the same situation... I think unless Apple felt that iLife needed to be free to sell more Macs (and consumer Macs typically come with iLife anyway), then bundling would have to up the price = probably not going to happen.

I don't really use any of the paid for iLife apps either...

Mark T
14th March 2007, 11:42 AM
I'll be buying it straight away, if only for the "secret features"

lavo
14th March 2007, 11:55 AM
I hope Apple give some more teasers soon on Leopard. They have been very quiet in the last few months, other than the odd leak from people breaking their NDAs.

I'll be getting my copy the day it is released. Which means I should start gettign my iMac sorted it. The hard drive is a mess! I'm sure I have a ton of crap stored in there that I will never use again :-)

mechcon
14th March 2007, 12:20 PM
or... freaky enough, why not embed ilife with osx? as in every increment of osx you buy, has ilife (and not rely on yearly updates).. and any "yearly" updates are "Service packs"?

then again, apple has to make a dollar :\

hawker
14th March 2007, 12:23 PM
OS X ain't no windows. I'll be buying the day it's released.

And they won't copy protect it, doing that has cost Microsoft a lot of money (to have people on phones lines for the all the bloody problems it causes)... Apple are smart, if you don't make your OS $500 people will buy it!

jubilantjeremy
14th March 2007, 12:25 PM
No. Although if enough people steal it instead of paying for it, maybe they will in the future, eh? Do you want to end up like a Windows user? I don't.

What about students using 10.4 to tide them over until 10.5 is released.. as their mac which they bought secondhand recently came bundled with 10.3 ..?

I'll buy 10.4 depending on a few things
1. It's price - is $129 for students accurate? I think i saw that for 10.4 somewhere.
2. How well it runs on older hardware (800mhz g4 ibook 640mb ram)

- Jeremy

hawker
14th March 2007, 12:28 PM
What about students using 10.4 to tide them over until 10.5 is released.. as their mac which they bought secondhand recently came bundled with 10.3 ..?

I'll buy 10.4 depending on a few things
1. It's price - is $129 for students accurate? I think i saw that for 10.4 somewhere.
2. How well it runs on older hardware (800mhz g4 ibook 640mb ram)

- Jeremy

Correct, the education price of OS X Tiger is $129.00 inc GST

Tiger runs fine with G3's and G4's, I think Leopard will run like a dog on a G3, but it will run solid on a G4 (as someone else said, max out the ram!)

vargz
14th March 2007, 12:33 PM
I won't be buying Leopard on its day of release. I'll be ordering a new Mac on the day Leopard is released.

Now that I have missed the salary sacrifice cut off for this FBT year, I'm not so concerned about Leopard coming out at the end of the month. I reckon it'll be out late April or early May.

FWIW the Apple Store told me Leopard will be out in June and will cost $129 to upgrade from Tiger

Arkhum_Eramak
14th March 2007, 01:18 PM
Correct, the education price of OS X Tiger is $129.00 inc GST

Tiger runs fine with G3's and G4's, I think Leopard will run like a dog on a G3, but it will run solid on a G4 (as someone else said, max out the ram!)

I believe they have already officially stated that G3 support is gone with 10.5, I seem to remember a bunch of iBook G3 owners who were going to still be in warranty when their machine became unsupported were gathering for a class-action. Some people, huh?

So maybe if someone could confirm that, but I am 99.9% sure that Apple have put it on the record - 10.5 will NOT run on any machine with a G3 processor. I assumed this was coming, and it was the better of two evils (my other prediction for 10.5 was that they may drop support for machines under 800MHz). So...it could've been worse. I expect people will be giving G3s away by then.

And I agree with Hawker who agreed with...someone else! Keep your head above the 512Mb RAM mark (I guess 1Gb is safest) and it should run fine. Other than RAM problems, my Macs seem to always get a slight boost in performance from the OS updates. I still remember how fast 10.3 made my G4 cube feel. But my PowerBook suffers with 512Mb RAM under 10.4, and I don't expect it to improve with 10.5

hawker
14th March 2007, 01:21 PM
Maybe it holds the whole OS back to make it for use on both an intel machine and a PPC G3, we're talking a major speed and performance difference. They're not as bad as windows though. They basically force you to upgrade with every NEW OS and SP!

Mark5
15th March 2007, 10:59 PM
If Apple updates the iMac 24" before the release of Leopard, I will buy the iMac first. When the new OS is out will grab that as well.

Better yet, the Rev B iMac 24" comes with Leopard installed. :D

smilne360
15th March 2007, 11:04 PM
i wont be buying it when it comes out. i would have preordered it the moment they annouced it :]. that and ill be placing my 24" order at the same time...

forgie
15th March 2007, 11:07 PM
Maybe it holds the whole OS back to make it for use on both an intel machine and a PPC G3, we're talking a major speed and performance difference. They're not as bad as windows though. They basically force you to upgrade with every NEW OS and SP!Waht are you talking about? Do you know a single person who had to upgrade their hardware for XP SP2? Or SP1? I didn't think so....

We won't know how well Leopard runs until we can actually use the public release - algorithms can be optimised, and it may be that disabling some of the new features actually leaves you with a more efficient OSX (relative to 10.3 or 10.4) - making it better for older computers. We won't know til we get it I guess.

Gerbils
16th March 2007, 06:52 AM
This poll is missing the third option 'Wait until you buy new hardware with Leopard pre-installed'. This is what I'll be more than likely doing.

samuelclarke
16th March 2007, 07:17 AM
I'll get it as soon as possible!

I think Leopard is going to be a very large leap forward - I wouldn't be surprised if we've only seen 5%-10% of the features so far in 10.5. One thing's for sure, Apple will be wanting to steal as much lime light from Vista as possible when Leopard is released.