PDA

View Full Version : No firewire after 10.3.7 update

Jimbo
30th December 2004, 09:33 PM
Yeah, so last night i updated to 10.3.7... and now my firewire ports don't work...

I open system profiler, and it says no info found, meaning i guess it thinks there are none?

i really need the files on my ext HDD not to mention using my digital camera

hawker
30th December 2004, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Jimbo@Dec 30 2004, 09:33 PM
Yeah, so last night i updated to 10.3.7... and now my firewire ports don't work...
What the hell? Works on all my computers?

weird!

Jimbo
30th December 2004, 09:42 PM
yeah, weird, i doubt it was a co-incidence that my firewire packed it in at the same time? hmm, i'll try booting os 9 and see what happens...

Jimbo
30th December 2004, 10:01 PM
hmm, it doesn't work in os 9.2.2

and unfortunatly (like most people who are'nt millionares) i don't have enough cash for a new motherboard.....

hmmm

i'm going to bed

Currawong
31st December 2004, 07:13 AM
Did you run fix permissions before and after installing the update?

Jimbo
31st December 2004, 09:10 AM
will that even help?

Jimbo
31st December 2004, 09:20 AM
okay more news on the troubles, if no device is plugged in, i go to system profiler and it says firewire bus 400mbs

if i then switch on my external hd it syas no information found...

wtf?

how much are firewire cards anyway?

Jimbo
31st December 2004, 02:40 PM
done the permission repair bit, and still no firewire!

And none in os 9 either, i'm starting to fear a dead logic board...

Atomic
31st December 2004, 04:57 PM
Did you read the "ReadMe" before installing?

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300385

"Important: Please read before installing

* If you have a third-party FireWire hard drive connected, disconnect it before installing this update. Reconnect it and turn it back on after installation is complete and you've restarted."

I have read that reinstalling the 10.3.7 update again (but with your drive disconnected) may fix your problem.

[Edit] Also just read that resetting your firewire ports may do the trick. This involves removing anything connected to the firewire ports and the power cord from the Mac for approx half an hour.

hawker
31st December 2004, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Atomic@Dec 31 2004, 04:57 PM
Did you read the "ReadMe" before installing?
I admit I don't read many ReadMe files and Manuals, but I will when I am doing something major to my computer. I'd say thats a first stop for sure!

Jimbo
1st January 2005, 04:25 PM
sorry bout my irate posts earlier, i took a good long hard look at myself this morning (new years resolution) and decided they were way to offensive.

But yeah, i didn't read the readme :(
and i would have had the firewire drive plugged in...

Hmm....

Jimbo
1st January 2005, 06:49 PM
YAY! atomic you freakin' rule, you've helped me fix my mac twice now, if ever you're in Canberra ring me up and we'll go out for beers.

10 points for atomic.

I re-installed the update - no success
then i shut down, pulled the power plug, opened the case removed the battery and left it for an hour. When i switch on its fine.

YAY! :D :D :D :D :D :D