PDA

View Full Version : which PDAPhone?

internet
11th March 2007, 11:02 AM
Hey kids

I need a new phone and it's high time I get myself a phone that has my calendar and e-mail on it.. blackberry style.
Now my work is anti-blackberry, but they support push e-mail over other methods.. most people use windows based phones like the O2 and iMate ones..
Can anyone recommend a windows based phone that is good?

I've played with the imate and it's ok. but kinda bulky...

any ideas?

thanks

smilne360
11th March 2007, 11:19 AM
get the imate with the slide out keyboard, it may be bulky , but its way worth it, esp if you use txt msg..

macintoshix
11th March 2007, 11:29 AM
get the imate with the slide out keyboard, it may be bulky , but its way worth it, esp if you use txt msg..

I also second the imate,exellent pda/phone :)

internet
11th March 2007, 11:44 AM
i did play with that phone, but it's $1300 outright! that's damn expensive for something that's not an iPhone!!

is there really a need for touch screen?? has anyone here used the samsung business phones? the i302 or i601?

ok it's a bit cheaper from other non-rip off stores! about $899.. does this sound right?

Wheels
11th March 2007, 01:49 PM
Just to note, I don't believe Samsung phones work at all with iSync and there are no plugins to be found that work.

Husq
11th March 2007, 02:03 PM
Does it need to be a windows based phone? May be worth checking out the Nokia N95 which should be coming end of March.
http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n95-1716.php

chrissara
11th March 2007, 02:19 PM
Choices - iMate JasJam or its counterpart Dopod 838Pro. The new Samsung 700 or LG 800 (sorry can't recall exact models). Nokia E61. Treo 850 if you don't need wi-fi (Treo is the pick)

smilne360
11th March 2007, 03:25 PM
whats the cmpatiabilit with a windows mobile phone on to the mac?

harps
11th March 2007, 03:48 PM
I've just been given a Blackberry at work as this is all our IT department will support as we use Lotus Notes. Its the 7130 which looks OK but is a bit bulky. The senior managers are been given the Blackberry Pearl which is really cool and has a camera, but it's not 3G so accessing the web, etc is really slow.

In a perfect world I would have a palm Treo but our IT department wont set up push e-mail on it.

Missing Sync has just released a version for the Blackberry Pearl which will enable you to sync iTunes & iPhoto to the Blackberry via you Mac at home.

harps
11th March 2007, 04:12 PM
I should add that after using the Blackberry for a couple of weeks, its not a good PDA. I'm still using my palm as well.

It's good to receive e-mail, but is shit with attachments. You can view pictures but is useless with word or excel files. If I'm out and the attachment is an important one then I forward the e-mails to a POP account and then access it via my palm.

For basic PIM functions its serviceable at best.

msilsby
11th March 2007, 05:19 PM
Wait for it! Wait for it!

iPhone.

Currently have an Sony Ericsson K800i, and while it is a choice phone, it doesn't naturally play nice with the mac. M600 (sony ericsson again) looks like it may be a goer, but at the end of the day, how much extra are you prepared to pay for ical and adress book being supported. Nokia N80 was a great phone, wifi as well, but just a bit slow.

iPhone via ebay?

internet
11th March 2007, 09:21 PM
compatibility with mac os isn't an issue. it's a work phone, i don't want any of my work on my mac :)
The sony m600 i've been told to stay away from, googling for it yields many disgruntled users..
it doesn't have to be windows based but it needs push e-mail.. i'm not sure if i can get it working on nokia's symbian (spelling) OS or PALM os?
the treo 850 looks great.. i will have a play with one of those..

iphone is too far away, i need one now. besides, iphone won't do push e-mail with exchange :(