PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Pro 17", Swollen Battery

Roddles50
11th March 2007, 10:43 AM
I am a long time Apple user (28 yrs), and have been using Macs since 1990. Last year I bought a 17" MacBook Pro. I love it! The best computer I have ever owned.

However, I seem to have the bulging battery problem. It is quite annoying, when running on battery to have a very expensive notebook stop every 10 minutes or so. Not to mention the possibility of an exploding battery.

So I phoned apple support, the first time I was dismissed, well really asked to waste more time on documenting what I HAD ALREADY TOLD the person on the phone. The second time I was told to go to the nearest Apple Store, over an hour away to get a new battery. So I phoned the store to ask them to order in a new battery. They wanted me to bring in the battery first. Apparently, Apple charges them for the battery if the old one isn't returned within 3 days.

This was a bit annoying as it would take over 6 hours to travel from home to the Apple Store and back twice. Nearly the equivalent to a whole day.

Perhaps I am a whinger, but this is supposed to be a premium notebook and I have paid for the extra AppleCare warranty. Why should any customer go through those hoops becauses of Apple's current very poor quality control!! Not really happy Jan.

Rod

mjankor
11th March 2007, 11:04 AM
Which city are you near Roddles. I had a similar issue with my Macbook battery but one Apple service center (Macalert) near where I live actually trusts that what I'm saying is truth. The others wanted me to bring in my Macbook and leave it with them for a week or two for "testing". Needless to say I am using the former. They've ordered a new battery and will tell me when it has shipped. I'll run the Macbook over there when it arrives and swap it over.

Excellent service. They really do understand that losing a machine for any period of time is often a big hassle.

Oh yeah, I also got the fob off from Apple Australia. Apple really should get their service and support sorted. It's pretty stupid at the moment.

This battery issue is a classic example. The "About this Mac" profile has heaps of information about the battery and should be more than enough to warrant a replacement.

eg:
Battery Information:

Battery Installed: Yes
First low level warning: No
Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 2183
Remaining Capacity (mAh): 2181
Amperage (mA): -38
Voltage (mV): 12555
Cycle Count: 118

This is in my reasonably new Macbook. Full charge should be around 5200mAH iirc.

Roddles50
11th March 2007, 11:11 AM
I live in Healesville, outside Melbourne. I think I'll phone a couple of other apple dealers now.

Ta

Rod