PDA

View Full Version : Sware Update OSX Error ???

Spud
10th March 2007, 11:55 PM
Hi All

When trying to update sware - error message shows "time out" error

Stalling with no results ???

Any solutions

Thanks

Spud

ClockWork
10th March 2007, 11:57 PM
Are you on high speed broadband - ie: Cable or ADSL ?

or

Are you on Dialup Internet via internal 56k modem ?

cw

Spud
11th March 2007, 12:09 AM
Hi Clock, very timely!

ADSL Airport Netgear if that means anything, has been working no probs

S

ClockWork
11th March 2007, 12:12 AM
Okay - and when you go to : Software Update... what is the exact error message ?

thorevenge
11th March 2007, 12:16 AM
Try connecting via ethernet!

Also, is your internet working normally?

Spud
11th March 2007, 12:23 AM
"a network error has occurred timed out -1001, make sure you connect to the internet and try again"

but im on the net as expected re this chat

another thing two macs using airport, not always in the same instance ????

mmmm

ClockWork
11th March 2007, 01:53 AM
At that point, just as the first (or possibly last) port of call, I would boot up the machine from the Installer Disc and run Disk Utilities from in there, to Verify / Repair Permissions, and Verify / Repair Disk.

Do you understand how to boot your mac off its Installer Disk and run Disk Utilities from inside the disk ?

If you don't, I'll post it here, in detail.

cheers,

cw

Spud
11th March 2007, 08:23 AM
No, have never done this, please post "how to"

I'll give it a go, thanks for your help Clock

Spud

Currawong
11th March 2007, 08:59 AM
At that point, just as the first (or possibly last) port of call, I would boot up the machine from the Installer Disc and run Disk Utilities from in there, to Verify / Repair Permissions, and Verify / Repair Disk.

Do you understand how to boot your mac off its Installer Disk and run Disk Utilities from inside the disk ?

If you don't, I'll post it here, in detail.

cheers,

cw

Sorry, I have to take you to task for this... This is random voodoo which I seriously doubt will help fix the problem. A networking problem does not equal either a hard disk or permissions issue.

Plug the computer in via ethernet instead of using wireless and see if that helps.

samwalk
11th March 2007, 10:17 AM
In the past when I have had trouble with updates I have tried just downloading the updates to desktop and then doing the update once the download has finished. You can actually get the updates dirrectly from Apple without using 'software update'.

ClockWork
11th March 2007, 10:25 AM
You can actually get the updates dirrectly from Apple without using 'software update'.

Yes indeed - from: http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/

Yet, the simplicity of Software Update... function, is that it selects what your particular model requires.

And yes, Ethernet should certainly work, yet it's not the final cure if one is using wireless - so how does one troubleshoot a failed Software Update... via Wireless?

cw

girlbunny
11th March 2007, 10:30 AM
Yet, the simplicity of Software Update... function, is that it selects what your particular model requires.

I was wondering whether a software update (downloaded from the Apple site) would help fix whatever the problem is that Spud seems to be having. If it fixes the problem, then workarounds don't need to be figured out... of course, if it doesn't fix the problem, you're still at square one and have to wait until there are new updates before finding out what may or may not work.

moo
19th May 2007, 12:57 PM
Having exact same problem: on MB Pro no connect to iTunes store or software update, but email and browsing are fine. Same with both airport and ethernet.

Checked network settings which are exactly the same as another MacBook Pro and other Macs and they have no problem connecting to iTunes store and SU.

any further ideas ?

tia

moo
20th May 2007, 02:36 PM
bump...

ClockWork
20th May 2007, 02:40 PM
Nothing at the moment... only to hook it up via Ethernet.

cw

Wally
20th May 2007, 02:54 PM
Does the internet work with Airport??

Wally

Linux_insidev2
20th May 2007, 02:59 PM
Sorry, I have to take you to task for this... This is random voodoo which I seriously doubt will help fix the problem. A networking problem does not equal either a hard disk or permissions issue.

Plug the computer in via ethernet instead of using wireless and see if that helps.

At least he didn't have the OP reset the PRAM and PMU :P