PDA

View Full Version : A Safe Way to Trim the fat..

Peter Wells
10th March 2007, 12:55 PM
Hey,

when i first got a macintel, i ran monolingual to strip the ppc architecture from my universal apps. then i realised i killed a bunch of apps i needed that were only available as ppc versions.

i reinstalled everything and didnt try again. then recently my favourite podcaster scott bourne recommended using monolingual, but gave no warnings about the dangers of using this program.

anyhoo, it made me do a little search, and there is a program called xslimmer (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/31301) out there that is pretty amazing. it'll strip the ppc from a universal if you're on intel and vice versa, but if the app is intel only (like soundbooth) or ppc only (like office) it simply says "this app cannot be slimmed any further. very cool. i just saved 1.55gb of hard space, and my universal apps are a hell of alot faster.

just to let you know, its US$11.95

pete.

p.s. i was gonna post this on my blog, but i thought i'd tell you guys first! :D

marc
10th March 2007, 12:56 PM
I wonder how much difference it makes to an app size??? I wouldn't have thought it'd be significant enough to matter.

If you want space, delete iDVD and iMovie :)

Peter Wells
10th March 2007, 01:09 PM
I wonder how much difference it makes to an app size??? I wouldn't have thought it'd be significant enough to matter.

already have!

some numbers (all on intel) :
photoshop 246mb > 147mb
compressor 83mb > 17mb
final cut pro 370 > 89mb
google earth 102mb > 50mb
itunes 69.7 > 22.4
safari 21.6mb > 3.98mbs!!!!
toast 8 202mb > 150mb

and the performance boost rocks...

tommelbourne
10th March 2007, 01:13 PM
I'm guessing PPC wouldn't notice a performance boost if the Intel sections were removed?

marc
10th March 2007, 01:17 PM
Something's not right there... it must be doing way more than stripping the Intel code.

benmcgruer
10th March 2007, 01:20 PM
Something's not right there... it must be doing way more than stripping the Intel code.

It also removes all localizations that you don't need. I'd imagine that's where a lot of the space savings are coming in.

Peter Wells
10th March 2007, 01:20 PM
yeah, they take all the language files as well

soulman
10th March 2007, 02:29 PM
...photoshop 246mb > 147mb...

...and the performance boost rocks...Given that PS is not yet Universal, that must be all localisation files.

What sort of performance boost are you seeing? I guess the apps might launch a little more quickly but, apart from that and assuming your boot disk wasn't close to full, I really can't see how it could affect performance.

I realise it's not quite so simple for everyone - portable & vintage owners for eg - but with internal storage running at about $0.50/GB or less, it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to pay $12 for an app to save you $0.75 worth of disk space.

Peter Wells
10th March 2007, 02:36 PM
i'm using photoshop cs3 beta, which is universal. the main thing is that i noticed my old ibook would run certain big apps like photoshop and fcp faster than my macbook, and the only thing i could put it down to was the fact that my memory usage was higher. that is, if i was using fcp on the ibook, and had a look at istat, the processor was maxed out but i still has some left over space in the ram. with the macbook it was the reverse, the processor had room to move but the ram was always maxed out. now my ram is back down with fcp opened.

i dont know why that is, i dont know how computers work. i just know thats what happened.

btw, i think US$11.95 is a rip off too, but meh...

FineWine
11th March 2007, 11:43 AM
On purchase order can you request that these localisations not be installed and only the Australian English localisation be installed?

Currawong
11th March 2007, 12:20 PM
Well, for Apple stuff, you can turn off localisations at install, but you'd be turning off everything except US English, as I've not seen a program that uses "Australian English" specifically yet.

soulman
11th March 2007, 12:25 PM
It's also possible to remove localisations using the Finder:

FineWine
11th March 2007, 12:27 PM
OK, what ever English is used in Australia, can you request at time of purchase that that is the only localisation installed?

icant
11th March 2007, 01:25 PM

Agree. Also consider GarageBand and it's instruments.

decryption
11th March 2007, 02:43 PM
OK, what ever English is used in Australia, can you request at time of purchase that that is the only localisation installed?

Nope - you need to remove them yourself manually (a trivial task using something like Monolingual).

I also find that to reclaim space, delete all the printer drivers upon install of the OS. If I need to use a printer, I'll download the driver for it specifically thanks :)

FineWine
11th March 2007, 02:49 PM
Nope - you need to remove them yourself manually (a trivial task using something like Monolingual).

I also find that to reclaim space, delete all the printer drivers upon install of the OS. If I need to use a printer, I'll download the driver for it specifically thanks :)

Thanks, that's ashame.