PDA

View Full Version : Best way to rename a whole bunch of jpegs?

Febs
10th March 2007, 12:34 AM
Hi guys,

(Firstly, the method described below may seem a bit pointless or lengthy to some, but it works for me :)).

Whenever I take a bunch of digital photos, I like to re-name the files to something meaningful (eg: "Martin and Steph - on the plane.jpg" and then import them into iPhoto. That way, I can search through my whole library for "Martin", "Steph" or "plane" etc... and find all related photos. (I know about iPhoto's keywords...but this works best for me. :))

Trouble is, the method I've been using is a bit lengthy, and I'm wondering if there's a good app/util that'll let me rename the photos easily? ie: a small thumbnail with the file name in an editable field below.

At the moment, I open up all the images in Preview, then sort them in the same order (in the Finder), then just rename them normally. Gets a bit slow and boring though...so if there are any utils out there to speed up the process, it'd be a big help.

Thanks all. :)

Cheers,
- Febs.

Peter Wells
10th March 2007, 12:44 AM
have you thought about naming the roll before importing into iphoto. so you might name the roll martin steph on plane, and then go through that roll to find the best pics and add a rating to them..

melted.marsbar
10th March 2007, 12:51 AM
I think what you should do is use our trusty friend, Automator. You can put together a simple workflow that will rename a batch of files (they don't have to be JPEGs). Below is an image of the workflow that I use to rename my files. You can reconstruct it in Automator, and tweak it to your needs :)

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/4429/picture1pt8.png (http://imageshack.us)

Febs
10th March 2007, 01:00 AM
Thanks guys. I considered Automator, but the trouble is each filename is usually completely different. Eg: "Martin and Steph - on plane" will be just one file out of maybe 200 photos.

I'm currently re-naming a bunch of photos (200ish) from my road trip last week, and here's a sample of file names:
Broken Hill - Mine site.jpg
Silverton - Dry Creek.jpg
Calais - Silverton Hotel.jpg
Nyngan - army chopper.jpg
Signs - Bourke, Dubbo, Cobar, Broken Hill.jpg
etc...

So unfortunately I don't think automator will help. :(

fulltimecasual - Because I like to pull out the files occasionally (to e-mail or use within other programs on my work PC laptop etc...) I like to have the actual file names set, rather than just names within iPhoto.

Cheers,
- Febs.

girlbunny
10th March 2007, 08:07 AM
This is one of those cases where some of the UI we have been asking for on OSX would come in handy. If you want the ability to work with huge amounts of files at the same time, WIMP will not work in your favour. If you want the ability in the future get anyone you know including home users (home users are snapping thousands of digital photos in a simple holiday now) to get vocal about it.

An interface like Directory Opus 4.12 is a good start. two column listers with filenames (the ability of displaying thumbnails is necessary). Files can be renamed by clicking on the name. The real improvements come from the ability to build your own feature buttons that use wildcards and Automator, and the ability to select files in different ways. Imagine just clicking on a file and having it remained selected until you click on it again. This allows you to select as many files you want easily without deselecting them accidentally. Imagine a photo viewer that flashes files in front of you and you can select all the files in a category by hitting a "select-next" button or skipping by hitting a next button. It doesn't sound like much but this UI has been in some now dead software and people who tried it found it speed up their workflow many times over.

Our main push is not to add your data into the name of the file, but to "append" the data to the metadata. Renaming a file the same way should be no problem.

We see this as a separate program to purchase as a UI addon to OSX. The UI is very different from OS and will not fit seamlessly.

Having had this idea up for review by some Mac people it is obvious that if the users don't BAY for it it will never see the light of day. Even Woz was on the review panel. Knowing just how popular Directory Opus 4.12 (and many previous file managers... do not confuse with anything on Windows) was on the Amiga (with fewer features) it is amazing that there is so much resistance on the Mac.

girlbunny
10th March 2007, 08:12 AM
One quick note. There is a Russian programed file lister available. Unfortunatly thats about all it lets you do and we have begged them to add features for the past 18 months with no effect. The russian program looks like a light verson of what we intend... if you want to see what a File manager looks like.

rtc
10th March 2007, 09:47 AM
Automator is fucking useless at most things I find I want to do with it. No not most things, very few things actually - coz most of them it can't even comprehend at all.

For your task you have several options:

- Photoshop (via either batch processing or action sets)
- Graphic Converter's "batch convert" function or whatever it's called - this is quite handy in these situations and has been for years.
- Here's a leftfield idea: get a hold of an app called "MP3 Rage" which is for processing MPf3 files in batches and doing exactly this kind of renaming type stuff to ID3 tags and to filenames and folder names and even reorganising them in the folder heirarchy and sub-heirarchy. But the GREAT NEWS for you is that MP3 rage is not limited to certain files or certain filenames or extensions (i'm pretty sure anyway) so you could use it on JPEGs no worries!!

soulman
10th March 2007, 09:58 AM
...I'm wondering if there's a good app/util that'll let me rename the photos easily? ie: a small thumbnail with the file name in an editable field below....You could try using Finder's Inspector window - similar to Get Info but allows you to view multiple items, in sequence if required. This would be the procedure:

Open the folder containing you jpegs and select one.
Holding the Option key, click the File menu and select Show Inspector - or just hit Command-Option-i
View thumbnail and rename as required.
Select next pic and repeat.

There is probably a way to get the focus back into the Finder directory window so you can select the next picture with the keyboard but I haven't found it.

Febs
11th March 2007, 09:26 PM
You could try using Finder's Inspector window - similar to Get Info but allows you to view multiple items, in sequence if required. This would be the procedure:
<snip>

Thanks! :thumbup:
Didn't even think of that, but it's probably the most efficient way. :)

Thanks everyone...lots of great ideas. That's why I love this site. :)

Cheers,
- Febs.