PDA

View Full Version : iSkin Shades -- cool but pricey!!

kaotica
29th December 2004, 08:09 PM
Hi All

I recently saw an ad for the new iSkin Shades (5 cool looking coloured plastic covers for the iPod screen). As my iSkin Evo2 screen cover is already scratched, I thought these would be a great replacement.

That is, until I searched for them on the net and found the only outlet in Oz that seems to sell them is asking $44.95 for a 5 pack! This seems ridiculously high considering they retail for $US14.99 -- and even adding shipping and a reasonable seller's margin this should translate to no more than, say, $AU30-35 given the recent strength of our dollar (75 -78 cents US).

As the editorial article in this month's Australian Macworld suggests, it could be worthwhile to pay for a US mailing address just to be able to save a few dollars on our US purchases. But I would rather support Australian retailers whenever possible and while ever the selling price is fair.

I am interested to know what others in this forum think. Are we being scammed by some Apple retailers?

Apologies if I have posted under the wrong topic.

:D

jobe
29th December 2004, 09:36 PM
I had a ishades for a while and really didn't like it. it's not a think cover that goes over the screen... they're actually quite thick and refract the display making it nauseating to read. They are also very annoying to get on the screen properly so that it doesn't look like there's a bubble under it or anything. I've heard of people putting a dab of oil or water under it to stop this but it became too much effort. I just prefer to scratch the screen and clean it up once in a while with icleaner

QueenOfSwords
29th December 2004, 10:12 PM
I broke my screen protector that came with my iSkin, I'm going to trim one of the screen protectors for my old Palm to fit. Should work fine.

jy6
29th December 2004, 11:21 PM
Hmmm, I dont think were being scammed.. Im goin to use my second love (Nike sneakers) as an example...

You order two batches of the same sneaker one when the AUD is 70c and the other when its 79c. You have already fulfilled orders to half of the sneaker shops with the first batch but then you need to fulfill the other half with the second batch.

You cant just drop the price of the second batch immediately because you got them cheaper because the shops who paid more for the first batch would complain, you can drop the prices gradually but not at once.

I dont know if that makes sense, but I guess what I want to say is that you cant expect prices of products to drop inline with exchange rates, maybe if the rate stays constant then you can expect gradual drops (seems to happen with Nikes here).

Maybe wait it out, or do what I did and ring up the iSkin supplier (Try and Byte according to the iSkin site) and ask for a new screen protector, they mailed one out to me. :)