PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook wont start up

Jmi
29th December 2004, 05:28 PM
I recently patched my osx to 10.3.7 (the latest?). Was using it fine this morning and I closed the lid.

When I try to start it again (by opening it up). I got a black screen and it wont wake up. Pretty common as I got it once in a while.
But when I force a restart. It wont start again..

I tried the opt command P R on start but all I keep getting is 3 beeps and the light is on on the lid button.

Anything else I should try?
I did not install any new ram or new software. Battery is 3/4 full
Thanks all.

jobe
29th December 2004, 05:32 PM
try MightyAtom's suggestions in my thread here (http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=3304). Failing that. the best thing to do is to take it into an apple service center

Byrd
30th December 2004, 07:52 AM
Hi Jmi,

Firstly boot of your OS X CD and repair your hard disk permissions under the Disk Utility - you might have corrupted something, even moreso, when you forced a hard reset.

Secondly, if that fails, pop out your battery and leave your machine alone for 30 minutes. Then, pop it back in and try and restart.

Lastly, if all that doesn't work, try resetting your power manager. What model powerbook do you have? Apple have a guide (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=14449) for this.

Good luck,

JB

blakat
30th December 2004, 11:07 AM
JMI,

On new world machines, the 3 beeps at startup generally indicates that no memory is passing the initial memory test (as detailed here: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58183)

If you have memory from another machine you can use to test this it's a quick way to confirm this. Also it'd be worth making sure the RAM is seated properly.

Otherwise I'd recommend taking it back to any Apple Service center, or wherever you got the RAM From.

Adam.

chako012
30th December 2004, 11:17 AM
Sounds exactly like what happened to my ibook. now I never set my i book on automatic sleep -.-...evilevil things...
logic board problem perhaps?

blakat
30th December 2004, 11:21 AM
From my experience the not waking the screen correctly from sleep is a software issue, I have seen it on two different PowerBooks, of entirely different models now. In both cases it was completely solved by a clean installation of 10.3.

Currawong
30th December 2004, 03:11 PM
A permissions fix (with Disk Utility) should be run on a machine before and after the installation of any OS update. This often solves these problems before they occur.

Jmi
30th December 2004, 06:54 PM
thanks thanks all!!
I tried everthing i found on the manual, appletalk and whirlpool forums.

And like blakat mentioned, it WAS faulty ram (3 beeps + can't boot). I did not have any other laptop ram so I could not test it. So I rang up today and got my pbook down for repairs. Got a reply 1-2 hours later, telling me i got faulty ram. It had worked for 3-4 months though :unsure: Anyways, since it is going to be closed for the next few days, I got to wait 4-5 days to get my pbook back. That is IF the ram is in stock.

I got to make a mental note to check the ram when I get my pbook back.

THANKS ALL!!
:D

Currawong
31st December 2004, 09:03 AM
I had a problem with the RAM in my Powerbook not being seated properly. A re-seat fixed that, but I guess faulty RAM would have the same effects.

Jmi
5th January 2005, 04:36 PM
I don't know if I should laugh over it or not.
When I brought my pbook down for service just before the new year break, I got a call from them on the very same day saying it was a faulty ram and they have placed the order for it. Being in a holiday period, I should expect to get it back on 3-4 Jan.

Understanding that things are slow in the new year, I didnt think I will get it back that early. Yesterday, I made a call and was told the part was in, and awaiting fitting and diagnostic. Would get a call by the end of the day if its completed. As expected, the call did not come.

This arvo, I made a call again as my mobile was off in the morning to see if its ready so I could pick it up during lunch. I was told that the part is still awaiting arrival. I laughed at the sales rep and told him about what i was informed yesterday.

I understand that the ram that was there yesterday MIGHT be used for some other lappie. But seriously, the information and reason given is really inconsistent on what is shown on their computer records.