PDA

View Full Version : bootcamp beta reliability

benproc
7th March 2007, 04:51 PM
i have read alot about all the bad things the beta can do eg. partition corruption, which means having to do reinstals of both os's. anyway. i was hoping people could share all their positive experiences before i go ahead and install xp on my mac. im sure the negative comments are just a case of people wanting to bitch about negative experiences and no one thinking of reporting the positive. so if someone could confirm my suspicions i would be very grateful. otherwise i'll just have to wait for the final version

BlowMeDown
7th March 2007, 05:04 PM
I been using Bootcamp since it's first release and it has been working flawlessly for me. I've had no troubles with either partitions and now I'm using the latest Parallels build with it which allows me to access my Bootcamp partition whilst still booted in OS X.

Remorhaz
8th March 2007, 10:27 AM
I've only been running BootCamp 1.1.2 with windows Vista but I havn't had any problems with that yet. I only wish Parallels also supported access to the BootCamp partition for Vista as well.

leon
8th March 2007, 11:51 AM
Bootcamp will fail to load Windows XP for me about 1/10 times. I usually need to restart the system, enter safe mode, restart, and then it comes back.

benproc
9th March 2007, 08:58 AM
thanks for the replies guys, still not 100% sure about going ahead with it though. anyone else have some positives they could add?

mjankor
9th March 2007, 11:48 AM
100% success rate for me. I've run it on 3 machines with no problems. One of the machines also gets booted into Windows fairly often. (Damn Far Cry game)

Byrd
9th March 2007, 12:21 PM
benproc,

As a beta you can't expect it all - but anecdotally it works well with XP SP2 with no issues, Vista less so.

You might prefer to wait for the release of Leopard, which promises much tighter integration of Bootcamp into OS X, and a rumoured virtualisation mode a la VMWare or Parallels.

JB

lucious
9th March 2007, 12:33 PM
It has worked flawlessly for me.

The only problem I had was that the XP disc I originally installed was NOT SP2. Fun!

I don't use the Windows side for anything as it's a private copy of Windows (i.e. not work), rockets along though on Core 2 Duos.

Bit of trouble seeing Wireless networks, but that may be WPA2, we have now gone back to WPA due to drop-outs.

Exocet
9th March 2007, 01:01 PM
When I first did it I accidentally tried to install WinXP onto my Mac OS platform, but that was my own damn fault. Fortunately I hadn't actually done anything yet so nothing was lost :)

BlowMeDown
9th March 2007, 01:11 PM
.... You might prefer to wait for the release of Leopard, which promises much tighter integration of Bootcamp into OS X, and a rumoured virtualisation mode a la VMWare or Parallels. JB

Oh man I hope that rumour is true. I've read about that over the internet too and while I like Parallels I think it would be so much better to have something integrated into the OS that does the same.

grorr76
9th March 2007, 02:56 PM
for my 2 cents I say this leave windows as far away from the mac os as possible, its just asking for trouble.

grfxninja
9th March 2007, 03:44 PM
I used bootcamp from day dot without issue with XP on a RevA macbook pro - Very snappy indeed

I then decided I couldn't be arsed rebooting to use Windows, so installed Parallels and ditched the Win partition
Then Parallels went and added bootcamp functionality! :o
Oh well, couldnt be stuffed re-installing xp right now for bootcamp so am waiting to see what Leopard brings us in the way of bootcamp and possible virtual integration into the OS.