PDA

View Full Version : What Mac software would do this?

tania2412
7th March 2007, 12:10 PM
I want to be able to rip the footage off our wedding DVD that a friend made us and use iMovie to make a montage of the day...I don't think the friend has the footage on mini DV anymore which is what I usually use to capture footage...what would I need to get it straight off a home-made burnt DVD?

rhys
7th March 2007, 12:18 PM
HandBrake. (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/21117)

gilligan911
7th March 2007, 12:21 PM
I would use handbrake (http://handbrake.m0k.org/) - that way you can rip the footage and convert to an iMovie friendly format all at once (the footage will be MPEG2 which iMovie might have trouble with unless you have purchased the Quicktime component from Apple).

You will get some loss of quality as you are going from one compressed format (MPEG2) to another then probably a third when you finish in iMovie and want to burn a DVD.

If you want to make sure you lose as little quality as possible you might want to try mactheripper to rip the .vob folder then ffmpegx (http://homepage.mac.com/major4/) to convert it to DV which you can then put into iMovie. This won't "recreate" the quality lost when it was first converted from DV to MPEG2 but it should prevent too much more loss.

good luck.

The Architect.mac
7th March 2007, 12:32 PM
use mediafork until handbrake is updated...

tania2412
7th March 2007, 12:38 PM
hmmm sounds complicated. thanks for the info, i'll have to read up on it I think!

pipsqeek
7th March 2007, 12:43 PM
Lol. what sounds complicated? using Handbrake? That's all that was suggested.

Look, download handbrake, put your DVD in the drive. click on the Rip button.

This isn't the exact method, as I don't have handbrake here to see the application nor do I use it personally. But that is pretty much all there is to it.

pipsqeek

tania2412
7th March 2007, 12:50 PM
moreso " to rip the .vob folder then ffmpegx (http://homepage.mac.com/major4/) to convert it to DV which you can then put into iMovie"...I'm new to all this! :)

BLINDER
7th March 2007, 01:15 PM
I want to be able to rip the footage off our wedding DVD that a friend made us and use iMovie to make a montage of the day...I don't think the friend has the footage on mini DV anymore which is what I usually use to capture footage...what would I need to get it straight off a home-made burnt DVD?

Tania if there is any chance that the footage exists in its original form find it. Ripping from a homemade DVd is only going to make everything incrementally worse. The artifacts in the footage will show up considerably greater and greater each time you fiddle with new generations.
Maybe you could act out the wedding again?:D

Sherlock
7th March 2007, 03:12 PM
You can almost rip straight to DV format with ffmpegX.

ffmpeg will not rip from the actual DVD itself due to copyright concerns.
But if the DVD is not Region protected ( and being a wedding video, I assume not) copy all files from the DVD to a folder and drag that folder onto ffmpegX, then choose DV as the target format.

You will need lots of hard disk space for the DV file.

jeremy_warnock
7th March 2007, 03:25 PM
try DVDxDV
http://www.dvdxdv.com/download.html

has to versions the vasic version saves all footage as imovie files, the pro version save all footage as final cut pro

alsi try toast - it will export vob files to a dv format allowing you import them into imovie.

Both are slow but since they dont use compression may give better quality then handbrake/mediafork

Peter Wells
7th March 2007, 03:40 PM
if its a homemade dvd it shouldnt have copy protection on it, so you don't need handbrake or any other ripping software. and you dont want to edit an mpeg2, thats just a world of pain. your best bet is to make the footage DV PAL, but bear in mind that 2 hours of footage is about 25gig.

this will sound confusing but trust me, just do everything and it'll work:

1 download mpeg streamclip (http://www.squared5.com/)
2 drag the video ts folder from the dvd onto your desktop,
3 select the vob file in the folder called VTS_VOB_01.1 and right click, open with mpeg streamclip
4 mpeg streamclip will ask if you want to import all other streams. click yes.
5 select export to dv from the menu, choosing PAL DV25.
7 go to pub, it will take a while.
8. montage.

trust me, i've edited about 200 weddings.

rtc
7th March 2007, 04:34 PM
You're all clearly insane. Handbrake schmandbrake.

Use "Mac The Ripper" to extract, and Toast to re-burn. I assume your original DVD is <4.7GB?

Peter Wells
7th March 2007, 04:54 PM

Use "Mac The Ripper" to extract, and Toast to re-burn. I assume your original DVD is <4.7GB?

yes i'm insane, but thats only cos of the amount of fucking weddings i've had to sit through. at what point between mac the ripper to extract, and toast to reburn, does the edit to montage happen?:confused:

jeremy_warnock
7th March 2007, 05:06 PM

Plus ripper just gives you vob files, not mpegs, avi or dv files which are needed for imovie - the dvd is already unencrypted - ripper is not the tool to use for this job

dotnet
7th March 2007, 05:48 PM
I'd probably use MPEG StreamClip. It reads and writes pretty much anything (unencrypted) and makes cutting very easy.

Cheers
Steffen.

rtc
7th March 2007, 06:20 PM
Okay okay after re-reading the initial post I discover that iMovie was actually in the mix for a reason, not just a part of the "make a copy" process.

tania2412
19th March 2007, 08:30 PM
Appreciate all the input. 25GB...wow! It's about time I moved my music collection to an external hard drive anyway, then I'll have plenty of space to play with :) I asked about the original DV tapes and they're not around anymore, given it was in 2003 and I only just started to dream the idea of making my own montage now, I don't really blame them for taping over it! Maybe we'll just wait another 7 years, renew our vows, tape that and make a montage!