PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP

iThinkMac
7th March 2007, 10:13 AM
Hi guys, hope this is in the right place.
I was in Harvey Norman the other day and the salesman was trying to sell me Windows Vista. I wasn't impressed with the product (or the price). I told him about the recent security issue with Vista, and he quite denied such an issue. He also said that unlike Windows XP Vista doesn't give blue screens and crash (funny their now admiting that XP used to do that;) ). I told him about Apple's front row and asked if he could demo Vista's far inferior Media Center. He said he couldn't because the Vista he was displaying was home basic and you have to buy the full premium for Media Center ($750odd). Well, Leopard's looking better all the time.
Anyway, I was quite turned off Vista, as it certainly doesn't show the 5 years plus development, so I'm thinking I'll just buy XP to run on my MBP. My question is: does anyone know where I can buy a legal copy of Windows XP (home or pro)? I realize that XP clearing fast, and so I'll have to be quick.

Thanks

purana
7th March 2007, 10:17 AM
You could try this search here (http://www.staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=windows+xp+pro).

macintoshix
7th March 2007, 10:19 AM
Your local officeworks store,they usually have quite a few copys?

Maybe also dick smiths?

dotnet
7th March 2007, 10:55 AM
I told him about Apple's front row and asked if he could demo Vista's far inferior Media Center.

This is an interesting statement, can you elaborate on that?

I keep hearing and reading that Media Centre is the only consumer app where MS is actually ahead of Apple, and that Apple has some catching up to do with Front Row.

Now, I only know Front Row and have never used Media Centre (nor do I plan to), but I'm curious about the contradicting statements. Is anyone in a position to compare the pros and cons of Front Row and Media Centre from first hand experience?

Cheers
Steffen.

gameon
7th March 2007, 11:12 AM
front row = easy to use
wmc = you can do much more with it, integrate tv tuner (pvr) and radio and a lot other jazz

iThinkMac
7th March 2007, 11:23 AM
Check out: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Front-Row-Vs-Media-Center-15874.shtml

Also do a google on Front Row vs. Media Center.

From a graphics point of view, front row has it over MC. However, I haven't used MC extensively to know of it's complete pros/cons.

Byrd
7th March 2007, 11:31 AM
You can buy a legal OEM copy of XP from any PC store; the software is still very easy to obtain, and will continue to be for some time yet.

JB

Goodbye
7th March 2007, 12:06 PM
Your local officeworks store,they usually have quite a few copys?

All our copies of XP, the old Office etc were sent back to the supplier last week, so don't bother with OW!

goldcoaster
7th March 2007, 01:23 PM
Hi guys, hope this is in the right place.
I was in Harvey Norman the other day and the salesman was trying to sell me Windows Vista. I wasn't impressed with the product (or the price). I told him about the recent security issue with Vista, and he quite denied such an issue. He also said that unlike Windows XP Vista doesn't give blue screens and crash (funny their now admiting that XP used to do that;) ). I told him about Apple's front row and asked if he could demo Vista's far inferior Media Center. He said he couldn't because the Vista he was displaying was home basic and you have to buy the full premium for Media Center ($750odd). Well, Leopard's looking better all the time.
Anyway, I was quite turned off Vista, as it certainly doesn't show the 5 years plus development, so I'm thinking I'll just buy XP to run on my MBP. My question is: does anyone know where I can buy a legal copy of Windows XP (home or pro)? I realize that XP clearing fast, and so I'll have to be quick.

Thanks

Thats just crap. I paid $128 for vista premium and has media centre - there is no premium at $750. Vista , for me, has some great features, lots of small things that I didn't/couldn't notice during a store demo - such as searching, natively, for photos I have taken at 1/500 of sec. and tagging photos with the tag info on the photo and not seperately in a db as Adobe does it. like I said, little things.

your real question is where can I buy XP? Phone your local computer store.

BTW, your MCvsFR link is from Jan06 - nothing to do with Vista and it's media centre stuff. This link (http://www.pcauthority.com.au/feature.aspx?CIaFID=1492&CIPseq=1)does but not much detail.

iThinkMac
8th March 2007, 05:03 PM
Thanks guys, I'll check some of the links provided have been useful. I phoned Harvey Norman, Dick Smith and some others, and they said that XP has been recalled to Microsoft. As has been mentioned however, OEM versions are still available.
As regards Vista's Media Center, I was only going on the salesman's word, as I asked him to show me Vista's Media Center. He simply said that the feature isn't available on the bottom end versions! Maybe he just didn't know. Anyhow, hope you enjoy Vista. I'm still waiting for Leopard.;)

Edge
8th March 2007, 06:05 PM
Thats just crap. I paid $128 for vista premium and has media centre
That's an upgrade price, right? Not very useful for someone buying a fresh copy.

stefanlod
8th March 2007, 06:25 PM
I'm not entirely sure about the legality of this, but you could be able to transfer a license of an XP machine to your MBP. For example, a machine that a friend is swapping for Vista.

mwot
8th March 2007, 06:33 PM
I'm not entirely sure about the legality of this, but you could be able to transfer a license of an XP machine to your MBP. For example, a machine that a friend is swapping for Vista.

i'm pretty sure you can so long as you removed the same licensed copy from the machine it is currently on. i believe you would need to contact MS, explain what you are doing, so you can receive another activation code for use on the MBP, however.

but it depends if the copy of XP you have is a shelf copy (in which case, the above applies) or the copy that came installed with a new PC (which i think may be licensed to only that machine??).

i'd suggest eBay for an OEM copy of XP. just be sure you read the auction description before you buy - as some copies only work on some brands of PCs, etc.