PDA

View Full Version : iTunes sorting

smilne360
6th March 2007, 09:01 PM
hi all

just wodered if there was a way to not make it ignore "the" when sorting in alphabetical order ?

The Architect.mac
6th March 2007, 09:06 PM
iTunes 7.1 to the rescue - the new 'Sort by' settings in the Get info window can set to ignore things like 'The' in Albums etc so you can search for The Beatles by the B rather than the T and so on...

tcn33
6th March 2007, 09:13 PM
Funny you should ask, it seems like there's been some changes to the options for sorting things. Select a track and go to Get Info (cmd-I) and click the Sorting tab. You can change it so it is sorted by a different name/artist/album etc.

The help documentation says this should also work for multiple tracks but I can't seem to get it to work. (Go to iTunes help, choose "What's new in iTunes" and scroll down to Improved Sorting.)

smilne360
6th March 2007, 09:53 PM
excellent...

im thikning i should read the documentation a bit more...

dotnet
6th March 2007, 10:06 PM
Interestingly, if I cmd-I any single Beatles song the respective sort fields are already filled in, with the "The" stripped off. However, I can't seem to make bulk changes to multiple tracks. The sorting tab only appears on single track info windows...

Cheers
Steffen.

MrJesseRoss
6th March 2007, 10:47 PM
I made a change to how iTunes sorts this afternoon... It's always sorted The Boy Least Likely To under 'B', but I've wanted it to go under 'T'.

So, just to try out this feature, I modified one single track, and added 'The' to the start of the sorting field.

When I went back to the main library, I found that everything I have of The Boy Least Likely To was sorted under 'T'.

So, dotnet, I'd imagine that the same thing should work with your Beatles collection!

dotnet
6th March 2007, 10:58 PM
When I went back to the main library, I found that everything I have of The Boy Least Likely To was sorted under 'T'.

So, dotnet, I'd imagine that the same thing should work with your Beatles collection!

The WOW starts now! :D

I fact, come to think of it, my Beatles tracks were probably not pre-stripped of the "The", but my playing around with a single track fixed up the whole lot. What's more, it fixed both the Artist and Album sort fields, although I only ever touched the Album name...

Cheers
Steffen.