PDA

View Full Version : Parallels & Shared Printers

gehenna
5th March 2007, 06:18 PM
I just got a HP multifunction printer. It's installed on my office iMac and shared on this computer. My girlfriend uses my Macbook and it has also been added on there with no problems.

She uses MS Office in Parallels on the Macbook. I can't figure out how to install the printer within Parallels on the Macbook across the home network. Anyone out there got a setup like this that can help me?

Thanks heaps..

luke_in_tas
5th March 2007, 06:27 PM
The easiest way to set up a shared printer connected to a Mac on Windows is to use Apple's Bonjour for Windows: http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/bonjourforwindows.html.

gehenna
5th March 2007, 06:29 PM
lovely, thanks for that!

iGOOSE
5th March 2007, 06:35 PM
Firstly what version of Parallels are you using? Some of the ealy versions were prone to printing problems. Make sure you have downloaded the latest version from the website.

I guess you've downloaded and installed the Windows/Linux* printer drivers?

If not, do so now and re-try printing.

Otherwise try emailing the support team - they usually reply to your issues within a couple of days.

Hope this helps...

*Guest OS

luke_in_tas
5th March 2007, 06:43 PM
Firstly what version of Parallels are you using? Some of the ealy versions were prone to printing problems. Make sure you have downloaded the latest version from the website.

I guess you've downloaded and installed the Windows/Linux* printer drivers?

If not, do so now and re-try printing.

Otherwise try emailing the support team - they usually reply to your issues within a couple of days.

Hope this helps...

*Guest OS

You don't want to use the Windows printer driver for your printer when printing to a shared printer connected to a Mac. You want to use a postscript printer driver, and CUPS on the Mac will do the rest.

When you use the Bonjour for Windows printer setup assistant it should select a postscript printer for you.

luke_in_tas
5th March 2007, 06:48 PM
Further to my last, you can see Apple's instruction on this topic here: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.4/en/mh1770.html.

gehenna
5th March 2007, 06:51 PM
yip got it sorted thanks for that!