PDA

View Full Version : iMovie equivalent for PC/XP

lenman74
5th March 2007, 08:22 AM
I have a friend who recently contacted me asking me what program she can use to make a DVD from DV clips and still photos using the ken burns effect.

As she has only just bought a Dell upgrading to a mac isnt possible.

I am really surprised that after so many years there just isn't a readily available, cheap and easy to use windows program for Windows.

Does anyone know of any good programs to do this.

I guess beggers cant be choosers so she would be happy with:

- a program just for DV into WMV/AVI/MOV which her burner software can covert to DVD

- a program for creating slideshows from stills, the ken burns effect would be a big bonus

Any Ideas?

thorevenge
5th March 2007, 08:28 AM
Um, Windows Movie Maker, which should be bundled with XP?

macintoshix
5th March 2007, 08:30 AM
Try www.ulead.com they have demo's for download and also support DV. :)

goldcoaster
5th March 2007, 08:41 AM
No idea what or who Ken Burns is.
iLife is $119, there are many available, easy to use apps around that price. Roxio , Ulead , Nero 7, does what you want, (so did Nero 6) plus lots of others or maybe the DVD maker software that is built into Vista (movie maker for XP).....

-------------------------------
- GoldCoaster (http://goldcoaster.wordpress.com)

Goodbye
5th March 2007, 09:01 AM
Ken Burns = panning over an image to make it look like a movie. Apple seem to like it a lot.

Byrd
5th March 2007, 09:12 AM
The Vista version of Windows Movie Maker is a close equivalent of iMovie. The WinXP version isn't - it's very basic, designed mainly for editing basic clips for email/web use.

JB

lenman74
5th March 2007, 09:15 AM
The Vista version of Windows Movie Maker is a close equivalent of iMovie. The WinXP version isn't - it's very basic, designed mainly for editing basic clips for email/web use.

JB

Hmm, wonder if I can go test that out down at harvey norman or somewhere similar

Thanks for all the info:)

bushfire
5th March 2007, 09:52 AM
Here is a list /i have never used any of them but they come recommended.

Procoder
Vegas 7
Cyberlink power director
Adobe premier Pro.2

macintoshix
5th March 2007, 10:00 AM
Here is a list /i have never used any of them but they come recommended.

Procoder
Vegas 7
Cyberlink power director
Adobe premier Pro.2

Highly recommend premeir pro 2
I use premier all the time exellent software...

hawker
5th March 2007, 10:08 AM
If you're adventurous, I wouldn't go past Avid DV :)

nicwithsticks
5th March 2007, 10:45 AM
If you're adventurous, I wouldn't go past Avid DV :)

And there's a free version of it available from Avid - http://www.avid.com/freedv/ - for Windows and Mac

hawker
5th March 2007, 10:55 AM
Wow, didn't know that hsvguy - that's excellent, might chuck it on my powerbook and see how its changed since the ol' days (2003)!

Ta!