PDA

View Full Version : Can somone help me with differant file formats..

28th December 2004, 08:21 PM
Can somone explain the differance between the differant file formats that you can use on an iPod?
Which is best quality, biggest etc..
I am wondering whether I should use the best quality file format since I am getting a 20gig ipod and should have plenty of space (only have about 140 albums at the moment)

MightyAtom
28th December 2004, 08:32 PM
I assume you mean should you use AAC or MP3 and which bit rate to use.

All of my music was in MP3 format before the advent of AAC so I've stuck with MP3. If you already have an MP3 collection I'd suggest sticking with it (transcoding your existing music from MP3 to AAC will cause a loss of quality)

The basic difference is that AAC will have a better sound quality than MP3 at the same bit rate. if you're ripping all of your albums afresh then I'd suggest you use AAC for that reason. 128 kbps should be sufficient for listen to your iPod but I'd personally suggest going for 160 kbps. If you intend hooking your iPod up to a decent stereo ever then I'd recommend going even higher to 192 kbps to ensure the best sound reproduction. I personally don't see much advantage going above 192 kbps unless you've got a particularly sensitive ear.

28th December 2004, 09:00 PM
thanks for that..

hawker
28th December 2004, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by MightyAtom@Dec 28 2004, 08:32 PM
I personally don't see much advantage going above 192 kbps unless you've got a particularly sensitive ear.
192kbps, for mp3 is pretty much CD qauilty audio. That's why most people perfer it, any more is just insane!

MightyAtom
28th December 2004, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by hawker@Dec 28 2004, 09:40 PM
That's why most people perfer it, any more is just insane!
True, for some of my badly damaged CDs and older recordings I rip them at 320kbps so I can transcode them in 10 years time to the latest and greatest format without loosing any (much) fidelity.

You're right though, for day to day use anything above 192kbps is pointless.

Quamen
29th December 2004, 10:46 AM
Wouldn't the best quality format be the Apple lossless format ;)

Not sure if your ears would really notice it. They would for sure if you ever plan to hook your computer or iPod up to a stereo with good speakers and turn the volume up above a whisper though.

I personally use 192 VBR mp3's just so that I can remain compatible with my mates. A few of them don't particuarly like using iTunes and prefer winamp.

29th December 2004, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Quamen@Dec 29 2004, 10:46 AM
Wouldn't the best quality format be the Apple lossless format ;)

Not sure if your ears would really notice it. They would for sure if you ever plan to hook your computer or iPod up to a stereo with good speakers and turn the volume up above a whisper though.

I personally use 192 VBR mp3's just so that I can remain compatible with my mates. A few of them don't particuarly like using iTunes and prefer winamp.
oh no!.. i've just ripped about 8 albums with 192kbps and .AAC but I will be hooking the ipod to a big stereo system. Would I be much better off with lossless format?? how much bigger are the lossless files?

Ozi
29th December 2004, 11:05 AM
i use 192AAC for everything, and it works just dandy. :)

I can't tell any difference between 192 AAC and Apple Lossless, but its a very subjective thing. When you say "big stereo system" are we talking a really high quality settup? Unless its $1000+ in value (and really good) then you will not be able to hear any difference between 192AAC and Apple Lossless. :)

29th December 2004, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Ozi@Dec 29 2004, 11:05 AM
i use 192AAC for everything, and it works just dandy. :)

I can't tell any difference between 192 AAC and Apple Lossless, but its a very subjective thing. When you say "big stereo system" are we talking a really high quality settup? Unless its $1000+ in value (and really good) then you will not be able to hear any difference between 192AAC and Apple Lossless. :)
its an oldish sony system- sony receiver with 2 subs, 3 surrounds.. i hope im not wasting my time.. :( .. I havn;t actually got the ipod yet- so i cant do any tests..

Ozi
29th December 2004, 11:11 AM
I think that 192AAC would be fine. :)

fompsweeva
29th December 2004, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by MightyAtom@Dec 28 2004, 10:07 PM
True, for some of my badly damaged CDs and older recordings I rip them at 320kbps so I can transcode them in 10 years time to the latest and greatest format without loosing any (much) fidelity.

You're right though, for day to day use anything above 192kbps is pointless.
Why would you want to do that? Re-encoding is just going to screw with the audio more, no matter what bit rate it's in. You're better off playing all your mp3's off an iPod in 10 years time.

CarbonRods
29th December 2004, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by hawker@Dec 28 2004, 09:10 PM
192kbps, for mp3 is pretty much CD qauilty audio. That's why most people perfer it, any more is just insane!
Not insane... more accurately one of these:

--alt-preset extreme (~250 kbit/s, typical 220 ... 270)

--alt-preset fast extreme (~250 kbit/s, faster but potentially lower quality)

--alt-preset insane (320 kbit/s CBR, highest possible quality)

:-)

That little table comes from Hydrogenaudio (http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=28124) possibly the best place on the net for informed discussion on all things relating to digital music.

The Hydrogenaudio recommended setting for transparent rips using Lame is --alt-preset standard (~190 kbit/s, typical 180 ... 220)

If you don't understand what a transparent rip is, and what --alt-preset standard means I highly recommend reading some of the FAQ's and pinned topics on the hydrogenaudio forums, hopefully, before you rip your entire CD collection :-)

gizo
29th December 2004, 04:43 PM
can't you just tell us.... go on...

CarbonRods
29th December 2004, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by gringo@Dec 29 2004, 04:43 PM
can't you just tell us.... go on...
Of course, that's easy... :-)

Rip your all CD's using LAME --alt-preset standard

Get all you need to do it with iTunes here (http://www.blacktree.com/apps/iTunes-LAME/)

Want to know why? Find out here (http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php/Main_Page)