PDA

View Full Version : Headless Mac Mini

Silver
2nd March 2007, 11:15 PM
I'm trying to use a Mac Mini as a headless server. It works fine, except for VNC. If I have a monitor plugged in VNC works fine. If I don't, then once I log into the mini the viewed screen becomes very distorted. I suspect this issue is the resolution of the log in session being undefined in some way. Does anyone have any experience in getting VNC to work on MacOS X without a monitor plugged in? The client itself doesn't appear to matter, all the VNC clients I've tried experience the same problem.

bushfire
2nd March 2007, 11:23 PM
chicken of the VNC, works fine but i never tried without a screen

thorevenge
2nd March 2007, 11:37 PM
What client are you trying to use?

I have had Chicken or even RealVNC on Windows connect to a Sawtooth running Tiger and OSXvnc run fine headlessly.

I do know that the inbuilt VNC client in OS X sucks, but it can be done...

Edge
3rd March 2007, 01:06 AM
Try using the supplied DVI->VGA adapter plugged into the mini.

Brains
3rd March 2007, 05:36 AM
This is something I'd like to see fixed, as well ... when I had the G4 Mini, I couldn't run it headless via VNC (even with the dongle hooked up). Recently, I tried to set up a G4/500 to run headless, and even using two different cards and a variety of adaptor dongles, I couldn't get it to respond via any VNC viewer app, either on MacOS or on Windows.

luke_in_tas
3rd March 2007, 06:27 AM
It will work with Apple Remote Desktop. That's what I'm using to access my G4 Mac mini running OS X Server.

mjankor
3rd March 2007, 08:24 AM
I'm pretty sure Edge has the right answer. I don't think I can VNC to my Mini without an adapter plugged in.

pipsqeek
3rd March 2007, 09:18 AM
My server is a Mac Mini. I've always VNC'd or ARD'd into it since I bought it. It only ever had a monitor hooked up to it on the day I got it. So I could configure it to work remotely. :)

Not sure what's going on with yours. I've never seen that issue.

Though, when I had a monitor connected to the machine. VNC or ARD makes the resolution the same as the monitor. When there is no monitor it defaults to 800X600.

pipsqeek

hawker
3rd March 2007, 10:00 AM
My server is a Mac Mini. I've always VNC'd or ARD'd into it since I bought it. It only ever had a monitor hooked up to it on the day I got it. So I could configure it to work remotely. :)

Not sure what's going on with yours. I've never seen that issue.

Though, when I had a monitor connected to the machine. VNC or ARD makes the resolution the same as the monitor. When there is no monitor it defaults to 800X600.

pipsqeek

I don't use my mini as a headless mac, its plugged into my TV, but I do use my G4 400mhz server, and it works fine. It's even minus a video card, due to some issue with the fan, so I only put it in and plug in my ext. monitor when I'm installing a new OS or if a hard drive dies etc etc

Jimbo
3rd March 2007, 10:10 AM
i had that problem, i got around it by plugging my monitor in on boot, then unplugging it when it had loaded. After a few system software update it went away though. I might point ot here that i'm using 10.4 server now too.