PDA

View Full Version : Emptying Trash!

Georgina EG
1st March 2007, 11:09 PM
I decided to delete quite a few emails which I'd collected and didn't need any more, probably over a 1000, but my "emptying the Trash" window is reading that it has 4918 items to delete. :confused:

Goodness, after several minutes of doing nothing, the count is now going down very slowly, but why would it read four times what I deleted? :eek:

Edit: Because many of them have other emails attached?

brooksaar
1st March 2007, 11:11 PM
did you have anything in the trash before?

Georgina EG
1st March 2007, 11:17 PM
No brooksaar, but I think I may have already answered my question with emails attached to emails, I can't think of any other reason. I've never got rid of so many as this before, but at least the count has now been reduced to 3200!

Georgina EG
1st March 2007, 11:40 PM
Wow, all gone, the whole process with doing nothing for several minutes must have taken 35 minutes!

ClockWork
2nd March 2007, 01:22 AM
Georgina,

Unless circumstances have changed, there was, I recall, something overall not quite right with you're entire OS X System. Has this been rectified yet?

Cheers,

cw

MacDave
2nd March 2007, 06:20 AM
Or are simply unable to delete items in the trash because files/applications are in use...

Open a terminal window and type:

cd ~/.Trash;rm -r

This will only work for items that have been sent to trash from the boot drive. It does -not- need to be executed as root.

Dave

Squozen
2nd March 2007, 06:49 AM
I'd be backing up my files if I were you, just in case the slowness is indicative of a failing hard drive.

Naturally we all have our important files backed up already though, right? Nobody on this board would be silly enough to not have backups...