PDA

View Full Version : Can't update firmware on B&W G3

Byrd
27th December 2004, 11:59 AM
Hi,

I picked up a stripped down B&W G3 recently, without HD and RAM (I've since upgraded both). The firmware has never been updated and it refuses to install OS X, or OS 9.x for that matter, without being updated to version 1.1.

The problem is, I only have an OS 9.1 system install CD (and 8.5, but the B&W needs 8.6), and it refuses to install to the HD so I can upgrade the &%$@ firmware! I can run the Firmware updater when booting from the OS 9.1 CD, but as there is no system on the HD, it doesn't work. I need a bootable system on the HD.

Is there any way I can get around/force OS 9.1 to work (I've tried dragging the CD's System folder to HD = no go)? As soon as I update the firmware, it'll be wiped and OS X will be installed.

Thanks,

JB

rockinrobstar
27th December 2004, 02:12 PM
I have had similar fun when upgrading my iMac 350 from 10.1 to 10.3. In order to upgrade I needed to update my firmware - but the stupid thing was - was that the update was only avaliable for OS 9. I had to go from 10.1 to 9 to 10.3 (luckily there wasn't anything on the HD that i needed/wanted) but it was still a pain in the arse.

Surely it wouldn't be too hard for Apple to write some sort of universal firmware update system so that you could update from whatever OS you wish and just selecting the right hex file (or whatever format the update would be in).

Sorry I can't help you bYrd and I wish you luck with finding a solution.

Currawong
27th December 2004, 03:05 PM
The simplest way is to install 9.1 onto the HD on another machine, then put it in the G3 and boot from it.

Byrd
28th December 2004, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Currawong@Dec 27 2004, 03:05 PM
The simplest way is to install 9.1 onto the HD on another machine, then put it in the G3 and boot from it.
That's probably it - thanks. I have a PM 9600 here that I'll install a vanilla install of OS 9.1 to, then dump it onto the B&W. Funny how it boots off the OS 9.1 CD no worries on the B&W, but refuses to install anything off the CD.

JB