PDA

View Full Version : G5 usb problems

dovla
27th December 2004, 09:39 AM
hey all,

ive been having some strange probles with my new G5, when i switch it on everything is working fine but after a while it ignores the usb ports totally so i cant use them unless i reboot. The only thing connected to G5 except keyboard and mice is BT adapter, which was working just fine on my cube before so i though it might be that, and after removing it i found out that it isnt. Am i doing something wrong or what ? anyone had similiar problem before ? btw heres the error message i get when i plug anything in the usb

Dec 27 10:02:01 localhost kernel: USBF: 24206.626 AppleUSBHubPort: Error 0xe00002ed: set feature (resetting port)
Dec 27 10:02:02 localhost kernel: [HCIController][start]
Dec 27 10:02:03 localhost kernel: [HCIController][configurePM] ignore = 1

and i should mention that G5 is barely 3 days old! :(

thanks
dovla

PyroVesten
27th December 2004, 03:05 PM
Mmm G5s have a few USB issues. Namely, when going into sleep mode (hard drive switcing off) with a USB device plugged in, the fans will go full blast and it won't wake up.

Try googling your problem as it's probably come up with a number of other G5 owners. Also be sure you have the latest OSX (10.3.7).

Currawong
27th December 2004, 03:18 PM
The lateset G5's do have a firmware update that can be applied...I wonder if the firmware has been updated on yours...

dovla
27th December 2004, 05:43 PM
thanks for the replies guys! well i have downloaded everything through Software Update but thres was nothing regarding the Firmware upgrade, i found some firmwares but i'm not sure what version do i currently have on my G5, this problems seems to be on the 10.3.5, 10.3.6 and the latest 10.3.7. I have no clue what to do, i tried google but didnt help much...

thanks
dovla

kim jong il
27th December 2004, 06:28 PM
Hey Dovla, congrats on your new machine. To find out the current firmware revision for your mac go to the Apple menu (within the finder) at the top left of the screen and select "about this mac" this opens a small window with some basic information and contains two buttons. Click on the button which says "more info" and you will get another, larger, window (which I have included a part image of). Where it says Boot ROM version, in my case 4.2.8, that is your firmware version. This should give you something to go on. When you know what version you have you can find out if it is up to date.

cheers

(I have to head off for work now but good luck with it this evening)

dovla
27th December 2004, 08:17 PM
*update*

i just run hardware test and it failed at the logic board with following error code 2FAN/ 4/8: Rear Fan 0 whatever that is, would i be able to just swap it for another one or i have to wait for the damn thing to go through the service ? G5 was bought on friday!

thanks all
dovla

decryption
27th December 2004, 08:46 PM
They won't swap it for you. They have to get a new one in for you, take the old one out then put the new one in, then give the computer back to you.
Alas, you have no other option so take it in ASAP :)

dovla
27th December 2004, 10:58 PM
i will as soon as the store opens on wednesday! hope it wont take long for them to repair it..

thanks
dovla

Jimbo
27th December 2004, 11:03 PM
you need to read the powerbook g3 saga...

that's customer service.

pipsqeek
30th December 2004, 06:45 PM
With a Kapitol K

pipsqeek

Currawong
31st December 2004, 09:02 AM
dovla is now the proud owner of a dual 1.8, I believe :)

dovla
8th January 2005, 02:49 AM
yep Currawong i am :) cant be more happy to be honest :)

thanks for the help guys
dovla