PDA

View Full Version : Should I do it?????

daveinozbikes
26th December 2004, 06:21 PM
Hope you are all enjoying Christmas....thinking of going Apple ...I do a lot of digital photography..is it true that LCD screens are not as clear as my old PC screen..I think it"s called CRT?? Many thanks..Dave

Danamania
26th December 2004, 06:41 PM
More than anything else, that will depend on your own eyes. I wouldn't recommend ANYONE who wants accuracy in their colour to buy an LCD panel without first eyeing it off themselves, in person.

The LCD will certainly be -clearer-, as in more crisp, but colour/brightness differences with CRTs (the glass tubes) may be annoying - again, depending on your own perception.

dana

kim jong il
26th December 2004, 09:25 PM
Danas advice is spot on on this one. I have read a number of articles where graphics/print types still want high quality CRTs because of the faithful colour reproduction. There is a thread that touches on this issue of colour (the thread here demonstrates one of these issues (http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=2459&hl=lcd+controls)). Some LCDs lack controls that allow you to synchronise colour properly and can cause problems if you try to reproduce your results. What you see is not always what you get anymore it would seem. Make absolutely sure you have all the same controls on/for the LCD that you would expect for your CRT for colour.

pipsqeek
27th December 2004, 10:22 AM
You will usually notice that using an LCD for a week or something, then going back to a CRT you will look at the CRT, notice that its not as sharp, but you will notice that the colours are very vibrant compared to LCD.

I guess this may depend on the LCD screen and the CRT. But I have noticed that my 17" LG Flatron is really sharp and bright, and I will say that its better then any LCD I've used.

One of our members here has even seen it at my place and commented on how bright and sharp the image was on the screen. And they use a 20" Cinema Display as their main desktop screen. One I'd say would be a quality screen.

Just my 2

pipsqeek

kit
27th December 2004, 12:08 PM
An LCD display is very, very good at clear images. There's no flickering, and they're almost always brighter. They're also better for you, with the whole X-rays thing.

However, as with any monitor, it's essential to calibrate the monitor so that the colours are faithful; the environment is a big factor in how a display looks.

LCD displays are better with glare etc too.

Apple currently has a big section on their page about Colour, especially in relation to LCD displays:

http://www.apple.com/pro/color/

I don't know; I still have a CRT as my primary display, but wherever possible, I use LCD displays.

My reason for my CRT is the resolution it has; 1600x1200 is not something that many Mac DPI LCDs are capable of. Plus it was free :P.

kim jong il
27th December 2004, 12:10 PM
I'm pretty much 99% sure you actually knew that a old style monitor/TV uses a CRT (cathode ray tube) but someone may be interested in what it actually means. I guess it sounds better than portable 'xray machine' or Xray Vision. The cathode emits high energy electrons (xrays) that excite phosphorous on the inside of the screen. The average CRT contains KILOS of lead which prevents us from becoming riddled with cancer after a few months viewing (CRT's pollute landfill, in part, due to the leaching of lead from the glass.) It is a mature technology which means that most of the issues with it have long since been ironed out. TFT LCD's by contrast are relatively new and will be progressively enhanced and refined over the coming decades. The problem is we are in a transition phase where manufacturers are abandoning CRT technology but the replacement is far from perfect.

Currawong
27th December 2004, 03:04 PM
I once managed to get Photoshop to print an exact rendition of a picture I had on screen - this to a 7-color Epson mind you...

If you're used to CRT's, then switching to an LCD will be a pain, as yes, no matter what you do, the way they display colours is completely different. When I can be bothered, I'll try to duplicate my efforts with the Epson and my 20" display.