PDA

View Full Version : How to stream internet radio via airport express?

vwl
24th February 2007, 09:42 AM
Hi all, I can't seem to find a way to stream internet radio (pandora in particular) to my remote speakers via airport express. I've tried Airfoil but that only seems to support media being played over real player/ windows media player etc. Anyone got any ideas on how this can be done with some other freeware app?

Cheers.

stefanlod
24th February 2007, 10:40 AM
If you use more conventional Internet Radio (one that allows to be played in iTunes via .pls file), you should be able to just use AirTunes as per normal... Though I'm not sure about Pandora.

decryption
24th February 2007, 10:48 AM
Use AirFoil from Rogue Amoeba, which can route any audio on your computer to the AirPort Express. Brilliant app!

http://www.rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/

vwl
24th February 2007, 06:17 PM
thanks for that. I've already tried Airfoil as noted in my original post but it seems to only stream from apps like Real Player and Windows Media Player. Pandora just runs off the website and not through any media apps. Any other ideas?

jeloz
24th February 2007, 06:28 PM
how do u listen to pandora? what sort of music is it?
Jeloz

vwl
24th February 2007, 07:21 PM
Check it out at www.pandora.com

You nominate a genre of music that you like and the site will select music from a fairly wide library of music of similar genre and style. I'm not sure how they get around copyright/broadcasting issues but it's quite a good way to "discover" other artists making the same genre of music that you nominate.

drcrox
24th February 2007, 09:25 PM
thanks for that. I've already tried Airfoil as noted in my original post but it seems to only stream from apps like Real Player and Windows Media Player. Pandora just runs off the website and not through any media apps. Any other ideas?

You can use Airfoil and ask it play the audio stream from Safari (or any other browser you use). As mentioned previously. you can nominate ANY audio source, including all widgets and system audio. It really is awesome.

vwl
24th February 2007, 09:46 PM
Brilliant. I got Airfoil to work.

Cheers for that!