PDA

View Full Version : iPhone dispute settled [merged]

MrJesseRoss
22nd February 2007, 01:41 PM
from ilounge.com (http://ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/apple-cisco-settle-iphone-dispute/)

Apple and Cisco said late Wednesday that they have settled their dispute involving the iPhone trademark. Under the terms of the agreement, both companies are free to use the “iPhone” trademark on their products, and each side will dismiss any pending actions regarding the trademark. In addition, Apple and Cisco will “explore opportunities for interoperability in the areas of security, and consumer and enterprise communications,” according to an announcement from the companies.

Apple press release here (http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2007/02/21iphone.html).

forgie
22nd February 2007, 01:59 PM
Wierd....

Where's the corporate blackmail? Where's the $100 million settlement?

Perhaps Cisco want to hook up with Apple to deliver cisco software/hardware in Xserves or something, and figured that they could negotiate terms better by leaving the threat of the iPhone trademark lawsuit on the table. I dunno.

thats awesome
22nd February 2007, 02:02 PM
I read that Cisco wanted to use the trademark because of how much press the Apple iPhone was/is getting, therefore also giving press to Cisco's iPhone. I'm pretty sure it was on MacRumors somewhere.

forgie
22nd February 2007, 02:11 PM
That doesn't make any sense - the cisco iPhone is a very small fish in terms of these two companies. They would have been bargaining at a much higher level.... unless Cisco actually have no legal rights in this situation, and they really are just grabbing some cheap PR. Cisco have owned the TM for ages though, so I would assume that they DO have legal rights - in which case we're back at the "bigger fish" theory.

gelfie
22nd February 2007, 02:23 PM
Cisco failed to use or defend their trademark for years. They "Lost" it under the terms of the trademark office. They had no chips to play with.

Apple just can't be bothered with a court case.

Apple will not pay a settlement fee to someone who no longer has legitimate claim to the name.

Cisco don't want a huge embarrassment. So BS press release was drafted. Apple gets their phone, Cisco get NOTHING (cos the press release was face saving BS) and no one has to pay money to the courts or each other.

Nice, simple. Tidy. Oh and fast.

icant
22nd February 2007, 02:29 PM
Without lawyers, the issue would have been managed like this:

At a restaurant:
Person A: Hi, may I take this chair please.
Person B: Sure, go ahead.
Person A: Thanks.

Bart Smastard
22nd February 2007, 02:39 PM
Without lawyers, the issue would have been managed like this:

At a restaurant:
Person A: Hi, may I take this chair please.
Person B: Sure, go ahead.
Person A: Thanks.

In the Western movies it would have gone like this:

Outlaw A: Howdee pardner, can I take this chair.
Outlaw B: Sure, go ahead pardner
Outlaw A breaks chair over the head of Outlaw C. Bar fight breaks out.

tcn33
22nd February 2007, 03:06 PM
In a daytime soap it would have gone like this:

Person A: Hi, may I take this chair please?
Person B: Yes, but you should know that that chair (dramatic pause) is your long-lost brother!
Person A: Gasp!
Persons A and B engage in torrid sex, while Person C watches from the closet. We will later discover Person C once witnessed Person B run over a homeless man while driving drunk. Much later, we will discover that not only is the homeless man still alive, he is Person A's (and therefore, the chair's) father. Also, he's evil.

Wow, this got really OT. Back to the iPhone discussion.

hawker
22nd February 2007, 03:12 PM
In a daytime soap it would have gone like this:

Person A: Hi, may I take this chair please?
Person B: Yes, but you should know that that chair (dramatic pause) is your long-lost brother!
Person A: Gasp!
Persons A and B engage in torrid sex, while Person C watches from the closet. We will later discover Person C once witnessed Person B run over a homeless man while driving drunk. Much later, we will discover that not only is the homeless man still alive, he is Person A's (and therefore, the chair's) father. Also, he's evil.

God dammit, you ruined 'Home & Away's' storylines for the next six months :P

Exocet
22nd February 2007, 03:25 PM
Is that silly show still running? God bless Foxtel :D

macintoshix
23rd February 2007, 09:54 AM
Some people might already have read this article ,

This is for those whom might be Interested,

http://www.smh.com.au/news/Technology/Apple-calls-up-iPhone-trademark-deal-with-Cisco/2007/02/22/1171733953298.html

And for shareholders in apple

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2516