PDA

View Full Version : Mail won't display message.

iThinkMac
20th February 2007, 10:53 AM
Mail has just started to say that "This message cannot be displayed because of the way it is formatted. Ask the sender to send it again using a different format or email program." Quite odd as it always has recognized mail from the same senders. In fact, one was a private message from mactalk. Any ideas?

If it helps, our mail provider just changed servers, and have just come online today. Could this be the problem?

ClockWork
20th February 2007, 10:57 AM
If you open Mail's Preferences, is everything ticked under: Viewing ?

iThinkMac
20th February 2007, 11:03 AM
Sure is! Everything is ticked under "Viewing." Any other thoughts?

ClockWork
20th February 2007, 11:13 AM
So what do you see instead? (apart from the message).

iThinkMac
20th February 2007, 11:14 AM
Nothing except for another little line below that says, "multipart/alternative."

ClockWork
20th February 2007, 11:32 AM
Well - I could be wrong - (and anyone is welcome to prove me wrong), yet i don't think Mail can handle complex HTML messages.

Multipart/alternative e-mail is usually advertising crap coming into your e-mail collector, which may hold many images and animation. Quite often this kind of stuff is SPAM.

The other possibility - is the first thing you mentioned: that the server you use has just come online.

Everything else ticked correctly under Viewing.

Do you know the senders who are sending you this stuff? Friend or unknown?

iPirate
20th February 2007, 05:29 PM
I seem to remember that Mail cannot open a certain type of Windows Email Format. If the sender is on Windows, tell them to be more compatible and change the message format on their end.

iThinkMac
20th February 2007, 07:46 PM
Thanks for your thoughts guys. It turned out to be a problem on the server's end. It was a bug of some sort (they run PCs) and it made my email unreadable - lost. Never mind. It's supposed to work now, so they said.

Thanks anyway.