PDA

View Full Version : Cannot print from Quark 7?

mancuso
20th February 2007, 09:06 AM
I've just installed quark 7 at work. Our printer is a Xerox 1250 with Fiery EXP12. Cannot print from Quark 7 (worked fine with Q.6). All Adobe and Office programs work fine!!

Please help.

macintoshix
20th February 2007, 10:02 AM
Hi im not sure even what quark is but i do know they have forums that might be able to help u out sorry:) http://www.quark.com/service/forums/

ClockWork
20th February 2007, 10:14 AM
Are you receiving any error messages from Quark?
Can you view its log?

admiral31
20th February 2007, 11:16 AM
I second Clockwork's option. Also, have you upgraded to 7.2? I did that as soon as I installed version 7, as according to the Quark forums, it fixed a lot of bugs. Does the file spool to the printer and then die, or can you not even select the printer?

mancuso
20th February 2007, 12:06 PM
IS Quark 6 & 7 NATIVE TO 10.4.8?

I have updated my machine on friday night to tiger. Quark is the onlu software gining me issues.

I have a G5 with no intel chip.

ClockWork
20th February 2007, 12:20 PM
Yes - both are native to Mac OS 10.4.8 and G5 (inteless). See above for former poster's questions on error messages... ?

admiral31
20th February 2007, 12:24 PM
I'm running Quark 7.02 on a G5 Powermac, running 10.4.2. Quark 7 is universal binery, so it will run on PowerPC and Intel Macs. I would not think that your operating system is causing the problem. As I mentioned earlier, is the document spooling to the printer and not printing, or can you not "select" the printer at all in the print dialog box?

Edit: Too quick for me ClockWork!

mancuso
20th February 2007, 12:39 PM
Rang Quark sending me new Pdd settings - xerox problems!

And yes lads what mentioned is happening!

"is the document spooling to the printer and not printing, or can you not "select" the printer at all in the print dialog box"

mancuso
20th February 2007, 01:09 PM
Quark could'nt help. Now onto xerox!

mancuso
20th February 2007, 01:26 PM
Anyone else running 10.4.8 with Quark 6... printing too DocuColo 1250 with Fiery exp12?

ClockWork
20th February 2007, 01:40 PM
Open the Print Center in: HD / Applications folder / Utilities folder.

Hold down your option key and activate Print Center - and keep option key down, as you click: Add.

If USB or AppleTalk appears in the button, click that button once and scroll down to: Advanced.

Next to Printer Model, click on Generic and scroll down to: Xerox - and beneath Xerox, can you scroll the list to see: DocuColo 1250 ?

Mctastic
20th February 2007, 01:59 PM
Quark 7 ships a universal binary. hopefully it's the one you using.

so your printing is fine with V6? can you write a PDF from Quark? try it... let us know.

mancuso
20th February 2007, 04:29 PM
Nothing.... updated with latest xerox drivers off site. Still doesn't work.

No pdf. No printout.

mancuso
20th February 2007, 04:31 PM
Quark 7 ships a universal binary. hopefully it's the one you using.

so your printing is fine with V6? can you write a PDF from Quark? try it... let us know.

Since I updated to tiger 10.4.8 I cannot print with Quark 6.

ClockWork
20th February 2007, 04:33 PM
And Post # 11 (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/showpost.php?p=260220&postcount=11) ?

Folks really "are" trying to help you out here. It's a tad difficult to do this if you keep a running update on companies you've called, over the rather helpful : question / answer method.

cw

mancuso
20th February 2007, 05:24 PM
Open the Print Center in: HD / Applications folder / Utilities folder.

Hold down your option key and activate Print Center - and keep option key down, as you click: Add.

If USB or AppleTalk appears in the button, click that button once and scroll down to: Advanced.

Next to Printer Model, click on Generic and scroll down to: Xerox - and beneath Xerox, can you scroll the list to see: DocuColo 1250 ?

Its the fiery thats causing the problem with quark. Worked with Generic driver. But once I select the Fiery EX 12 color server ps 2.0 - nothing.

mancuso
21st February 2007, 12:32 PM
Any takers?

ClockWork
21st February 2007, 12:37 PM
Nothing - as in it spools to nowhere?

Have you checked Quark's print log?

mancuso
21st February 2007, 01:00 PM
I've had to email Quark Aus as 10.4.8 does'nt support our Firey driver with quark. Seems like were moving to indesign.

Quark cannot promise me that version 7.1 will fix issue.

macpunc
21st February 2007, 02:06 PM
I've just installed quark 7 at work. Our printer is a Xerox 1250 with Fiery EXP12. Cannot print from Quark 7 (worked fine with Q.6). All Adobe and Office programs work fine!!

Please help.

Hi mancuso

You have to remember that Quark do not make the drivers for your printer, this is a Mac OS or Xerox problem.

I can suggest that you please try this:

1. Find out the IP address of your printer.
2. Open print center, click add, select IP Printer.
3. Select protocol: HP Jet Direct - Socket.
4. Address: Enter your printer's IP address.
5. Queue: leave blank.
6. Name: leave as is (should be IP address).
7. Location: leave blank.
8. Print Using: select your printers ppd, or fiery ppd.
9. Click Add.

Go to Quark, and print, making sure that you select the newly created printer by clicking on the printer button and see what happens.

I would also contact Xerox support locally and ask the quark 7 question.

Good luck!

Anth

ClockWork
21st February 2007, 02:20 PM
All design firms that I know, have moved over to InDesign - yet for a different reason some four years ago.

Have you tried printing Quark to a PDF, and then printing the PDF?

Also - try switching from Binary to ASCII.

AddIt: Do you know what I'm talking about?

ClockWork
21st February 2007, 02:42 PM
Gimp-Print (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=1537).

mancuso
21st February 2007, 03:29 PM
Hi mancuso

You have to remember that Quark do not make the drivers for your printer, this is a Mac OS or Xerox problem.

I can suggest that you please try this:

1. Find out the IP address of your printer.
2. Open print center, click add, select IP Printer.
3. Select protocol: HP Jet Direct - Socket.
4. Address: Enter your printer's IP address.
5. Queue: leave blank.
6. Name: leave as is (should be IP address).
7. Location: leave blank.
8. Print Using: select your printers ppd, or fiery ppd.
9. Click Add.

Go to Quark, and print, making sure that you select the newly created printer by clicking on the printer button and see what happens.

I would also contact Xerox support locally and ask the quark 7 question.

Good luck!

Anth

Read my past post you'll see my story... Quark Support have done all they can. Bye bye Quark. In-design here we come.

mancuso
21st February 2007, 03:31 PM
Gimp-Print (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=1537).

Mate i have no clue with that... i'm the designer here and IT have no fucken idea with a mac's. Best i leave it.

ClockWork
21st February 2007, 08:35 PM
Mate i have no clue with that... i'm the designer here and IT have no fucken idea with a mac's. Best i leave it.

I'm a designer too using both Quark and InDesign.

Why come here asking for help if you only wish to supply a list of companies you've contacted. There are ways around these problems, ya know.

Anything in blue type is something one can click on - like here: GutenPrint (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=1537&package_id=143930) - choose : gutenprint-5.0.0.U.dmg from the two options to download - which if installed may stop the problem and give you higher options in the Advanced choices of the Print Centre of Mac OS X.

I have seen the Quark 7.1 to Xerox problem before. I have troubleshot it and made it work.

However... in this case, I think you've just come here to wash your head, rather than look for alternative possibilities.

cw

mancuso
22nd February 2007, 08:37 AM
I'm a designer too using both Quark and InDesign.

Why come here asking for help if you only wish to supply a list of companies you've contacted. There are ways around these problems, ya know.

Anything in blue type is something one can click on - like here: GutenPrint (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=1537&package_id=143930) - choose : gutenprint-5.0.0.U.dmg from the two options to download - which if installed may stop the problem and give you higher options in the Advanced choices of the Print Centre of Mac OS X.

I have seen the Quark 7.1 to Xerox problem before. I have troubleshot it and made it work.

However... in this case, I think you've just come here to wash your head, rather than look for alternative possibilities.

cw

Dude... Chilli out... if Xerox/Quark support can't fix it what chance have i got? I've already lost 3 days of production! Had enuff fucking around!

Will try your test.

Mctastic
23rd February 2007, 09:33 AM
Mancuso.....

dude, .. from the posts/trial type solutions Clockwork is giving you, he is putting in a fair ammount of effort to research this with the scraps of info you have given him and from what i've seen is spot on track.
don't assume that because Xerox can't give(more like won't take the trouble to update their drivers) you any solution, that the folk at Mactalk can't help.
in a way it is YOUR faulty that you didn't look into print support for the product you've purchased, .. i.e. Quark express and also have taken the time to understand the technicalities involved in the proper functioning of the above mentioned product.
anyway, .. there are a million reasons to switch to Indesign,.... this been the least of them

good luck..

macpunc
20th March 2007, 02:31 PM
You will need to edit your ppd for the printer.

Quote: *cupsFilter: "application/vnd.cups ... By identifying this line in a text editor and making a comment out of it you prevent the call of the CUPS filter. All you have to do is to put a "%" sign right behind the leading "*", like shown here: Quote: *%cupsFilter: "application/vnd.cups ...

Please help.

cbad
26th February 2009, 06:31 AM
Where is that file located?

You will need to edit your ppd for the printer.

Quote: *cupsFilter: "application/vnd.cups ... By identifying this line in a text editor and making a comment out of it you prevent the call of the CUPS filter. All you have to do is to put a "%" sign right behind the leading "*", like shown here: Quote: *%cupsFilter: "application/vnd.cups ...