PDA

View Full Version : Changing to Vodafone

William
20th February 2007, 08:38 AM
Hi,

I'm getting sick of telstra pre paid mobile, its just so expensive and I'm always having Problems :mad:

I have been thinking that it would be worth changing to Vodafone.

I only just bought a new phone (V3) so I'll get unlocked which is $50 and then change to vodafone.

I'm just interested in what people think of vodafone's service, coverage and prices.

Also Can I get my telstra number transferred to my vodafone.

Last question, I can't decide wether to go with just standard prepaid or a $29 cap? (anyone with either of these , I'd love to hear your opinions?

Thanks

William

macintoshix
20th February 2007, 08:46 AM
Vodafone is probaly one of the cheaper options,im on 3 and my other handset is on dodo,i found dodo the cheapest outright at 30c permin 9c txt messages, and all your recharges are automatically doubled as for v3 great for when you mod it.

Vodafone covarage is good not sure about porting your number you'd have to call customer service i'd say, im on a 3 cap of $29 got a free phone with it nokia 6288 slider and get $120 free calls per month aswell as broadband on phone bundled with tv ,hope this helps :) Oh could of given u a v3 have one here works but dont use it :)

Exocet
20th February 2007, 08:49 AM
Make sure you check coverage for your area before changing carriers.

William
20th February 2007, 08:54 AM
Vodafone is probaly one of the cheaper options,im on 3 and my other handset is on dodo,i found dodo the cheapest outright at 30c permin 9c txt messages, and all your recharges are automatically doubled as for v3 great for when you mod it.

Vodafone covarage is good not sure about porting your number you'd have to call customer service i'd say, im on a 3 cap of $29 got a free phone with it nokia 6288 slider and get $120 free calls per month aswell as broadband on phone bundled with tv ,hope this helps :) Oh could of given u a v3 have one here works but dont use it :)

PM'd You ;)

Exocet, Yep checked my coverage, everywhere I have used my phone for the past 5 months is in vodafone coverage :)

Nathan
20th February 2007, 09:11 AM
I switched from Telstra to Vodafone about a year ago, and am much happier.
The pre-paid caps are good. From memory, the call costs of them are slighly higher, but the limit of the caps is quite generous. I went from being really careful about my calls and paying $100 odd a month on Telstra, to not caring how many calls I make (nor how long), and never making my $49 cap sweat.

And Auto-Pay is a god send. (You can choose to have the amount automatically deducted from the bank account once a month. No more getting sent a paper bill and then remembering to go and pay it).

William
20th February 2007, 09:19 AM
I switched from Telstra to Vodafone about a year ago, and am much happier.
The pre-paid caps are good. From memory, the call costs of them are slighly higher, but the limit of the caps is quite generous. I went from being really careful about my calls and paying $100 odd a month on Telstra, to not caring how many calls I make (nor how long), and never making my $49 cap sweat.

And Auto-Pay is a god send. (You can choose to have the amount automatically deducted from the bank account once a month. No more getting sent a paper bill and then remembering to go and pay it).

Thats good to hear, I don't use my phone a heap, but I spend around $20 a month (and thanks to telstra I lost about $40 from spam messages that I received :mad: ). With a cap does it mean you can't go over your credit limit or do you go over and get charged for the excess calls? And ones your on a cap plan can you just change to prepaid if or example I'm not using enough to make it worth while?

Thanks

William

scruffie
20th February 2007, 10:26 AM
Caps with vodafone are available on post paid (plan) as well as prepaid.

Prepaid is generally safer - you wont be able to make any calls when you go above your call cap because you would have used up all of your credit. All you have to do is to then recharge.

Postpaid is convenient because you dont have to constantly run off to buy recharge vouchers. But you will be liable for extra calls should you go over your call cap.

afaik vodafone $29 cap is only available on prepaid...

since you are only on prepaid - the only real loss you'd probably suffer from is the $50 unlocking fee so that your moto v3 can use other networks. then you can port from telstra to vodafone/optus/whatever. all of them have pretty competitive prepaid cap offerings and because you're prepaid, you can switch to any of em should any of em piss you off.

Peter Wells
20th February 2007, 10:39 AM
i was with vodafone for 3 years and thought they were great for prepaid. when i recent bought a new phone though i switched to virgin, only because they dont lock their handsets. but i might stay with virgin, they have a "bean counter" deal, which is 10c per minute any time of the day to anyone, and 10c per sms. thats damn cheap.

bushfire
20th February 2007, 11:26 AM
vodaphone coverage is questionable outside the city areas. Optus prepaid has better coverage and i will get a better share dividend next year if you spend lots of money. ;)

mechcon
20th February 2007, 11:46 AM
I'm on Three at the moment, and don't intend to change (unless the iphone will be exclusive to vodafone, but my money is still on hutchinson).

Yeah I'd move to vodafone, but not now as I'm on contract till may next year (just in time for the iphone aye? :P)

Exocet
20th February 2007, 12:04 PM
(and thanks to telstra I lost about $40 from spam messages that I received :mad: )
How is either:
a) an unscrupulous premium sms provider,
b) you signing up to premium sms without reading the conditions,
Telstra's fault?

froggy
20th February 2007, 12:14 PM
How is either:
Telstra's fault?

It could be if he asked Telstra to block that type of call getting to his mobile. I know, because it has happened to me.

Except that I was then told that the carriers can't block it.

Conflicting information is hard to deal with sometimes

Cheers,
Andrew

Granny Smith
20th February 2007, 01:07 PM
Have been a Vodafone user since I got my first mobile, recently put one of my kids on a simple Vodafone pre-paid plan. (Phone plus $40 pre-paid cost me a total of $109; credit lasts 12 months. Sorted.) Cannot fault their service. Call/text (etc) costs are comparable woth other carriers, but for me the service you get when you call them is what really sets them apart. Coverage is an issue if I travel to regional areas ... but then, I do so rarely, and when I do it's actually quite nice to be out of contact for a few days.

vicmeldrew
20th February 2007, 01:30 PM
I used to be with Vodaphone prepaid. I paid $50 every 2 months and got 30 cents a minute calls. The balance carried over if you recharged before the expiry date. I changed over to virgin because i got sick at the time of recharging every 8 weeks. Having also lost my phone, Virgin had my ideal phone- the sensational Nokia 1100.

On Virgin I was originally on the $15/6 months recharge- most of my family is on virgin so I got 10 cents a minute calls to them. Now I am on a $25 recharge plan that lasts for 6 weeks, if recharged on Virgins website. Calls are 10 cents a minute with a 25 cents flagfall.

froggy
20th February 2007, 02:09 PM
I'm on Optus post paid with 'Yes time'. That means that I get 20 minute free calls to other Optus numbers - pre paid or post paid. I've discovered that there are quite a few phone companies also use Optus as their carrier - Virgin and iSim included.

I've put my children onto iSim - www.isim.com.au - their recharges have no time limit. Phone calls from isim are 39 cents per minute and billed per second with no flagfall on national calls. SMS costs 15c (per 160 characters).

I really appreciate the no time limit on the recharges.

Cheers,
Andrew

Bounce
20th February 2007, 03:55 PM
I've been with Vodafone since 2002, originally started with Telstra in '99. And I've kept the same number since '99. I'm still on their (no longer offered) 'no plans' plan. Like pre-paid, except i don't go out and buy credits, i just get a monthly bill.

Coverage.... (in Melbourne) since moving further out from the 'outer eastern suburbs' to roughly the yarra valley range, the coverage is annoying. I'm in a bit of a valley. I can send sms from inside the house as long as i'm pointing at a north facing window. Calling while inside, they can hear me, but i can't hear them. Have to go outside to make calls. The only thing that makes me feel better is knowing that 3 coverage is non-existent in this spot.

Vodafone support has been much more pleasant than Telstra's.

bushfire
20th February 2007, 04:08 PM
i'm on hold to Vodafoney now, they have the most annoying friggin voice activated prompting shit menu things i have ever come across. i tell you these fuckin' fone companies and their tight ass profit policies are a disgrace. they refuse to employ staff in our countries at any decent level & expect us to put up with crap like this hold muzak or getting disconnected because the robot wench didn't understand it when you coughed before you gave your answer.

RANNNNT

Wheels
20th February 2007, 04:19 PM
How is either:
Telstra's fault?
Do you have to defend Telstra with every single negative comment about them? Yes you work for them but for Christ's sake, stop having a cry about anything bad said about them.

Georgina EG
20th February 2007, 04:23 PM
bushfire, if you want frustation, try the AAPT automated female voice which supposedly understands what you're saying, and this is with a landline phone. I speak good English and the wretched thing doesn't understand me! I get frustrated, the automated voice can't comprehend my anger, and eventually I'm put through to an operator.

froggy
20th February 2007, 04:28 PM
I speak good English and the wretched thing doesn't understand me!
Maybe your English is too good for it? ;) :p

William
20th February 2007, 04:46 PM
How is either:
Telstra's fault?

I didn't sign up to anything, I know the risks involved, do you think I would be able to be credited back?

Exocet
20th February 2007, 04:58 PM
Its unlikely. Premium SMS is an odd one, when you request content via SMS the cost is deducted from your prepaid balance, but Telstra doesn't see the profits from it. Of the $5.50 per ringtone, Telstra will see a nominal amount (such as 25c purely for the cost of the sms). The rest of the money is forwarded directly onto the content provider.

If Telstra credits you back for this, the content provider will still want their money. As such Telstra's been charged $40 from the content provider, but they've also given you $40 back, and are therefore out of pocket by $80.

You need to get in touch with the content provider as they are the ones providing the service, not Telstra. Do you call the RTA when you car breaks down? By a similar notion, would you call your gas provider when your BBQ stops working? Telstra is just the conduit for your premium SMS transaction, they are not the provider of the service.

I'm guessing you probably SMSed away for a ringtone / wallpaper and were not made aware of the fact that it was a subscription based service. Unfortunately you need to get in touch with the content provider. Telstra may be able to assist you in tracking down who this is if all you have is the 19 xx xx number you initially SMSed away to.

Oh yeah and wheels - fuck you.

William
20th February 2007, 05:13 PM
I will be contacting Telstra as the they provided me with the phone service and the phone and I pay them for it. I did not send off for anything AT ALL.

Hopefully they'll be able to help me, then I can use that money to unlock my phone.

William

William
20th February 2007, 07:46 PM
Hey,

Does anyone know if once your on a cap plan (prepaid) can you just for example stop for a month or two and maybe just pay $20 to buy some credit. (hope that makes a little sense)

I'd also like to thank everyone for there informative posts.

Thanks

William

bushfire
20th February 2007, 07:55 PM
bushfire, if you want frustation, try the AAPT automated female voice which supposedly understands what you're saying, and this is with a landline phone. I speak good English and the wretched thing doesn't understand me! I get frustrated, the automated voice can't comprehend my anger, and eventually I'm put through to an operator. Now when i get those automated wench things i just scream in goblydygook and the in a few nasty vulgar expletive and sure enough i get an operator who speaks when spoke to, OR when i call 1223 telstra directory i ask for osama bin ladens' number and get a giggle from the operator who immediately picks up on the fact that i wont put up with the crap they expect us too.

Wheels
20th February 2007, 08:06 PM
Now when i get those automated wench things i just scream in goblydygook and the in a few nasty vulgar expletive and sure enough i get an operator who speaks when spoke to, OR when i call 1223 telstra directory i ask for osama bin ladens' number and get a giggle from the operator who immediately picks up on the fact that i wont put up with the crap they expect us too.
With 1223, apparently they are advised to answer calls faster if you say 'help' when prompted. Just a tip!

bushfire
20th February 2007, 08:08 PM
Hey,

Does anyone know if once your on a cap plan (prepaid) can you just for example stop for a month or two and maybe just pay $20 to buy some credit. (hope that makes a little sense)

I'd also like to thank everyone for there informative posts.

Thanks

William

call 1300650410 i hear that the 700 people in this call centre who work for Vodafoney might have the answer for you.

Wheels
20th February 2007, 08:11 PM
Oh yeah and wheels - fuck you.
How weak. Should have expected that though! I am ever so sorry for speaking what everyone thinks when you write some wanker supportive comment about Telstra everytime the word is mentioned. Thought you would have picked up on that by now but obviously you're a bit slow off the mark :)

William
23rd February 2007, 10:03 AM
Hey,

I was just looking at some of virgin mobile and optus deals, anyone with either of these in Hobart, any idea what the service and coverage is like?

William

froggy
23rd February 2007, 11:02 AM
Just FYI, Virgin uses the Optus network and towers. Their coverage will be the same.

Cheers,
Andrew

William
23rd February 2007, 04:35 PM
Just FYI, Virgin uses the Optus network and towers. Their coverage will be the same.

Cheers,
Andrew

Ah okay, I had feeling they might be. So what are peoples opinions between Optus, Vodafone and Virgin.

I want to make the right descision so all your input really helps!

THANKS!!!

William:D

froggy
23rd February 2007, 09:20 PM
I like Optus. Coverage is good, customer service, for me, has also been good. I know that other people will have different experiences, but mine has been a good experience.

Vodafone's regional coverage is very hit and miss. That, to me, is the biggest issue, as I live in regional NSW.

As I said in a previous post, I've put my children onto iSim which is run by Optus. Their rates and no flagfall on calls made to Australia are what attracted me.

Ask more questions, and I'll try to answer. And others will, too, no doubt

cheers,
Andrew

Peter Wells
10th March 2007, 12:05 PM
hmmm,

sorry william, thought i should tell you: since switching from voda to virgin, none of my voda friends can call me. :( i can't work out why and neither can virgin. when i first called to complain about this, i was on hold for 20 mintes before giving up.

when i was home i called again, and just left it on speaker, 50mins later someone picked up! and i'm not exaggerating, check out my bill:

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/1783/picture2oq1.png (http://imageshack.us)

to virgins credit, the woman i eventually spoke to apologised and immeadiately unlocked my phone so i could go back to voda.

bushfire
10th March 2007, 12:57 PM
i own shares in optus, so if you go with them my dividend might go up by 0.01cent