PDA

View Full Version : Can I transfer E-mail signatures?

froggy
19th February 2007, 03:30 PM
Hi all,

Having purchased a 'new to me' G4 iMac running 10.4.8, is there some way that I can transfer the e-mail signatures that are on my old G3 iMac running 10.3.9?

Mail on the G4 iMac is version 2.1
Mail on the G3 iMac is version 1.3.11

Cheers,
Andrew

bartron
19th February 2007, 03:54 PM
If you run the transfer wizard thingy you should be able to migrate all your data from one machine to the other....signatures should be included in that (I would hope)

Bartron

froggy
19th February 2007, 04:24 PM
If you run the transfer wizard thingy you should be able to migrate all your data from one machine to the other....signatures should be included in that (I would hope)

Bartron

From what I've read on here, the transfer wizard thingy requires FireWire, I think? I don't have FW on the old G3.

Where is the transfer wizard thingy located, anyway?

Cheers,
Andrew

lucious
19th February 2007, 04:59 PM
Can you send an email from your old Mac to yourself and receive it on the new Mac and just copy it?

froggy
19th February 2007, 05:08 PM
Can you send an email from your old Mac to yourself and receive it on the new Mac and just copy it?

One or two, I might. But I'd rather not do the 25 or so that I have. Thanks for the idea, though

soulman
19th February 2007, 05:10 PM
All you should need to do is find the file that the sigs live in and transfer it to the same place on the new machine.

To do this, just modify your signatures on the existing machine, then search for files in Finder that are modified today and sort them by date. You will soon see which file it is. Note where it is and put it in the same place on the new machine.

You are right about the Migration Assistant too - it does require FireWire.

something2sea
19th February 2007, 05:40 PM
um, just copy the whole 'mail' folder form the library on the old iMac, to the same location on the new mac, replacing the folder that's there, and launch mail on the G4. should migrate all the data and your done (probably use an external drive or something like that)

froggy
23rd February 2007, 08:30 AM
All you should need to do is find the file that the sigs live in and transfer it to the same place on the new machine.

To do this, just modify your signatures on the existing machine, then search for files in Finder that are modified today and sort them by date. You will soon see which file it is. Note where it is and put it in the same place on the new machine.

You are right about the Migration Assistant too - it does require FireWire.
Thanks for the suggestion, soulman.

I couldn't get that to work. I found only one file that was modified - signatures.plist - but there wasn't a corresponding file on 10.4.8 I did copy the file from 10.3.9 and placed it in the same location, but no go.

something2sea - that possibly could have worked, I don't know. But I'm not going to try it as I have been using my newer machine for a little while and I would end up overwriting all my newer e-mails, I think.

Maybe luscious' idea is the only way that will work?

Cheers, and thanks for all the suggestions,

Andrew

MacDave
23rd February 2007, 09:14 AM
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/23037 <-SignatureProfiler

Which I've tried. It does what you need and a whole lot more, but is a tad buggy. Well worth trying though, IMHO.

Dave