PDA

View Full Version : Bumpercar 2

grfxninja
18th February 2007, 12:14 AM
Hi all,
Anyone used Bumpercar 2 (http://www.freeverse.com/bumpercar2/) for limiting childrens browsing?
I know I can use the parental controls on the kids OS X accounts and limit Safari, but I haven't had a whole lot of luck with that (propably - No, make that Most likely - that I am doing something wrong...)

So I have been looking at "Kids Browser" and Bumpercar. I prefer Kids Browser, but I think US$50 is a bit rich for a web browser. Bumpercar is about US$30.

Does anyone have any experience with this application. Basically, does it work as advertised?

Thanks

dotnet
18th February 2007, 12:50 AM
I find Safari parental controls to be pretty safe since you as parent have to authorise each and every web site explicitly.

However, this really gets in the way of exploring this rich font of knowledge and information, and that's what you really want your kids to tap into. I'm now in the middle of exploring web content filtering (as in: adding DansGuardian to our squid proxy) so I can turn off the draconian measure of Safari parental control, but stilll have some say over what my kids consume online.

In the end I guess it comes down to having a good comms channel with your kids, so you can tell them about the dangers out there, and they tell you about the strange encounters they might have had...

Cheers
Steffen.

AusMac
18th February 2007, 01:01 AM
Best thing to do is to be your children's best friend and give them the education they need to help them make their own informed choices. The only other step left is to trust them and be demonstrative of that fact.

If you do so, you won't need software to help.