PDA

View Full Version : RealPlayer BBC News

Georgina EG
17th February 2007, 07:43 PM
For nearly three years I've been able to receive up-to-date BBC London news, but the broadcast seems to be stuck on the same news for several weeks. :confused:

My desktop icon reads tvnews-1.ram and it's the same with the icon I have in apps.

I can access a stand-alone up-to-date broadcast from the BBC but the small picture can't be increased in size, so does anyone know how I can get out of this continuous loop of the same news, and at the same time be able to increase the viewing size?

ClockWork
17th February 2007, 08:31 PM
Georgina,

Are you referring to this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/news/

Where the Real Player broadcast begins with:

"Tonight on BBC London News, Youth Workers tell us they can cut gun-crime if only their projects are properly funded. This woman remorgaged her own home to fund a centre which keeps kids out of trouble."

If it's the same news feed over and over, you may need to Trash the older tvnews-1.ram out, and to click on the: Watch now button on the right side, just under the red BBC London banner.

It opens with a selection of either: Windows Player or Real Media Player - and you click on the Real Media option, and then click OK.

The news reel should appear in its own embedded Real Player window, and you can then click the Launch this in standalone player button, at which point you have that "new" .ram file, and just perhaps, you may need to re-download it every time, to get a new BBC Reel... though I'm not certain of this as I've not used the service...

As to the size of the standalone window, if your press the Apple-Command :cmd: key on your keyboard, and then press the 2 key, and it should double in size.

Press the Apple-Command :cmd: key on your keyboard, and then press the 3 key, and it should take up full screen, though in either Apple-Command :cmd: key + 2, or Apple-Command :cmd: key + 3, the picture quality becomes terrible, especially at full screen.

cheers,

cw

Georgina EG
17th February 2007, 09:18 PM
Ha CW, I've done what you suggested and trashed the Real Player icons, and although the BBC window came up, it stopped and a window appeared saying that the requested file can't be found. It appears that I've now lost RealPlayer entirely as a separate icon I can click onto!

I downloaded RealPlayer again (RealPlayer10GOLD.dmg and did what they advised and it still doesn't work. Everything was draggd into apps etc.

However, I can still access it from the BBC website, but the size thingy is a nuisance.

Edit: would you believe it, although I trashed my RealPlayer icon I can still access BBC London News from my Bookmarks Bar, and it's still the old news link! :confused:

ClockWork
18th February 2007, 09:20 AM
Okay - I'll freely admit that I'm confused ;)

Can you paste in the exact URL you're going to, to get these BBC New Reels, so I can see what .ram file you're downloading?

cheers,

cw

icant
18th February 2007, 09:42 AM
I use this link in the RealPlayer application to listen to the live World Service. I bookmark it within the RealPlayer app, and don't have to use a web browser.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/meta/tx/nb/live_news_au_nb.ram

Georgina EG
18th February 2007, 01:03 PM
CW and icant, things have become even stranger. I now can't access the BBC TV News site from my Bookmarks Bar so I can't raise a URL, and clicking onto icant's link I get the same small download window saying >Stellarium_0.8.2.dmg 1.6 of 20.4 mb-stopped< So what happened overnight?

ClockWork
18th February 2007, 01:09 PM
Georgina,

1. Is Real Player in your Applications folder ?

2. Have you recently installed the latest updates from Software Update... ?

(if you haven't, don't)

Georgina EG
18th February 2007, 01:14 PM
CW, I have the RealPlayer in Applications but yesterday downloaded RealPlayer10GOLD-1.dmg which seems to have messed me up completely. I thought I'd trashed the previous RealPlayer but apparently it remained.

Edit: I've trashed the Gold icons from apps and desktop, but nothing has changed

ClockWork
18th February 2007, 01:25 PM
hmmm... very odd... okay - you may wish to print this out:

1. Restart your machine, and very moment the screen goes black, hold down the Apple-Command :cmd: key and the S key on your keyboard, until you see white text appear on a black background. Then release the Apple-Command :cmd: and S keys.

2. Wait for the text to stop scolling until it ends in the last word:

root#

3. Now type exactly as shown here:

/sbin/fsck -fy

and then press your return key on your keyboard.

It will begin running a Disk Utility test over your machine. Don't stop it. It may do so several times.
If everything is fine as far as it's concerned, it will end the test, once again with:

root#

4. Take note of any last lines of the test, if they report an error that can't be repaired, and simply jot them down, so you can post them back here.

5. After it has finished either way, give it at least a minute to stop scrolling, and then type:

reboot

and then press your return key on your keyboard once again.

6. Your Mac will restart as per normal.

Return to post how things went, or what you saw it saying.

cw

Georgina EG
18th February 2007, 01:39 PM
CW, a fascinating exercise, the final word was root.

After I pressed Return (and I had to do it twice), a couple of lines of text flashed up but disappeared just as quickly, and the computer restarted as normal

ClockWork
18th February 2007, 01:42 PM
and Real Player...?

Georgina EG
18th February 2007, 01:52 PM
Nothing changed. when I click onto BBC News in my Bookmarks Bar it comes up with the same download window which says Stallarium-0.8.2.dmg 1.6 of 20.4mb-stopped.

But why would a download window appear when clicking onto the BookMarks bar would usually open the BBC TV window?

ClockWork
18th February 2007, 01:55 PM
okay, back to primary questions - the Bookmark Bar of ... what - exactly? Safari's Bookmarks? Or Real Player's Favourites?

Georgina EG
18th February 2007, 02:00 PM
Safari Bookmark Bar. Disko put it there for me 14 months ago.

But interestingly, I've just clicked onto the RealPlayer icon in my Applications (which refuses to be trashed), and up came the old broadcast again about a bishop which was first filmed about a month ago.

ClockWork
18th February 2007, 03:15 PM
Solved. Good. :)

We are on the same band width...

http://gronnevik.se/rjukan/uploads/Main/cute_kitten.s.jpg

Georgina EG
18th February 2007, 03:16 PM
http://www.cs.fiu.edu/~flynnj/cats/ksw-june99-kitten.jpg

froggy
18th February 2007, 04:19 PM
CW, I have the RealPlayer in Applications but yesterday downloaded RealPlayer10GOLD-1.dmg which seems to have messed me up completely. I thought I'd trashed the previous RealPlayer but apparently it remained.

Edit: I've trashed the Gold icons from apps and desktop, but nothing has changed
Hi Georgina,

I'm concerned that you may have downloaded the paying version of RealPlayer. You will have, I think, a 14 day free trial. I can't recall what procedure RealPlayer follows, but be careful, just in case.

Cheers,
Andrew

ClockWork
18th February 2007, 04:30 PM
Thanks Froggy - Georgina has the standard RealPlayer 10.1.0 - and not the Gold variety, yet her Apple Mac running OS 10.4.8 is playing a few silly buggers, and Georgina might need to get a good friend to come round, in order to find up what it's up to.

BBC London now appears to be working through RealPlayer.

cheers Froggy,

cw

http://www.upenn.edu/computing/product/img/realplayer.jpg

Georgina EG
18th February 2007, 05:12 PM
Confirmed, I have 10.1.0 now in my Dock, the picture isn't as clear as it used to be, but perhaps the BBC is pushing for paid broadband transmissions, or RealPlayer wants paid service.

Certainly my iMac seems to be playing silly games, firstly with Documents and Pages, and now with RealPlayer.

The photograph above was an experiment and has nothing to do with my RealPlayer problem, though it could be illustrating a cat-alogue of problems evolving!

froggy
18th February 2007, 05:52 PM
Good that you've confirmed that you have the free RealPlayer.

NOT good was that terrible joke, Georgina!

Cheers,
Andrew

ClockWork
18th February 2007, 06:29 PM
NOT good was that terrible joke, Georgina!

True - but at least it wasn't catastrophic. ;)

(shall I leave the room now ?)

The BBC News soldiers on:

lIGiLM47B74

froggy
18th February 2007, 06:40 PM
(shall I leave the room now ?)

Yes, please! :p

Georgina EG
19th February 2007, 12:00 AM
Stupid RealPlayer, despite everything being "fixed" I'm back to the old news loop about the bishop on BBC London News! Time for bed.

ClockWork
19th February 2007, 12:20 AM
For the morning - Georgina,

Are you double-clicking on the RealPlayer.app alias on your Desktop,
then clicking once on top Menu Item: Favourites -
and scrolling down to: BBC London, to click it, and let go ?

Georgina EG
19th February 2007, 02:18 PM
The alias disappeared from my desktop after I switched off last night for a while, but if I click onto my other icons and then Favourites, I can get the stuff about the youth workers. Without going via Favourites I get the old news about the bishop!