PDA

View Full Version : iChat AV Compatible ADSL Modem/Router

luke_in_tas
23rd December 2004, 09:22 PM
Until recently I was accessing the Net using a Netcomm NB1300 ADSL modem/router connected to a 5 port switch. This setup worked fine, but unfortunately the ADSL modem/router recently died, along with one of the ports on the switch (I'm guessing power surge?). Consequently I needed to get myself a new ADSL modem.

After visiting Harris Technology in Canberra I came away with a combined ADSL modem/router and 4 port switch in the form of a D-Link DSL-504G (the sales guy told me it was far superior to the Netcomm). The only problem is that since I have set it up I have been unable to use iChat AV to conduct audio or video chats.

So now I have two questions:
1. Has anyone got audio/video chats working with iChat and an DSL-504G? ; and/or
2. Can anyone recommend another combined ADSL modem/router/switch (or just an ADSL modem/router, as I can still use my old switch) that will work with iChat for audio/video chats?

I have had a look at Apple's support page for iChat, and although it lists qualified routers, I can't seem to find one on the list that is a combined ADSL modem/router that is also available in Australia. I have also tried modifying the router/firewall settings on the DSL-504G, but again without success.

iSlayer
23rd December 2004, 09:28 PM
i assume you have fowarded the ports for ichat ?

luke_in_tas
24th December 2004, 08:00 AM
I have tried adding filters to the firewall for the iChat ports, and when that didn't work, removing all of the firewall filters (on the router). I haven't tried port forwarding though, although I did try assigning my Mac to the routers DMZ.

I suppose I could try port forwarding, but even if it worked, I don't think it would be a great solution as it would mean no other machines on my network could use those ports.

iSlayer
24th December 2004, 08:03 AM
well port foawrding is the only way.
routers use NAT to share internet between computers and the only way to bypass it is port fowarding.

when you hav someone try and connect to say port 53(DNS) they will just be connecting to the router.
the router wont know what to do with the request so it dies.
Port Fowarding tell it to pass the request to a certain computer

icant
24th December 2004, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by luke_in_tas@Dec 23 2004, 10:22 PM
2. Can anyone recommend another combined ADSL modem/router/switch (or just an ADSL modem/router, as I can still use my old switch) that will work with iChat for audio/video chats?

I gave my Apple Airport Base Station (white, dual ethernet, 802.11b) to my dad and replaced it with a Netgear 834G, which is a ADSL modem + router + hub + wireless.

http://www.netgear.com.au/products/prod_de....asp?prodID=223 (http://www.netgear.com.au/products/prod_details.asp?prodID=223)

I was quite wary of iChat compatibility, but took the plunge. Thank goodness, it has worked without problems. Text is ok. Audio is ok. Video is ok. Configuration via web browser is ok. WPA security is ok. Range is ok. Bittorrent is/was ok.

Since then, a friend has bought an identical Netgear unit, and we have been able to iChat to each other as well. I haven't had to open any ports etc.

The cost is reasonable. Overall it works without issues. Occasionally (maybe 4 times in a year), I have to restart it. But I can do that "remotely" via a web browser, or just walk up to it and unplug and replug it from the wall. There are some units have have more features, for a similar price. e.g. units by Draytek, which I do wish I had tried. Also, the Netgear doesn't support WDS, which would be nice (but not essential) to use with an Airport Express.

I found the forums at Whirlpool to be very useful.

http://www.whirlpool.net.au/

Currawong
24th December 2004, 12:02 PM
Doesn't matter what router you have, you just have to forward ports 1067 and 5060 to your computer, then it will work.

Poor you being told Dlink is far superior to Netcomm. Generally I've gathered Dlink modems have more problems than other brands, but with all issues such as this, your mileage may vary and you may have got a good modem.

luke_in_tas
24th December 2004, 05:01 PM
I tried forwarding ports 1067 and 5060, but still no good.

I think next week I will try and return the modem to Harris Technology and see if I can get another brand. Maybe I should go back to a Netcomm? Until it died my last one had always performed very well.

matttt88
24th December 2004, 05:56 PM
I know this is no help... but i have had no good luck when it comes to these kind of products.

Used a DLink router i think.. didnt work... even the replacement didnt work... then a Netgear, and then a Netgear wireless access point... all of which either didnt work out of the box or would stuff up and do strange things. or need to be constantly reset...

my AirPort express on the other hand just worked.. and continues to do so lol... suprise suprise there!

unless i could afford some better gear like semi professional equipment then my AirPort express and my Linux gateway/server will have to do.

Matt.

luke_in_tas
29th December 2004, 07:28 PM
Well, I went back to Harris Technology today. After some discussion they agreed to let me return the D-Link modem/router/switch, and I subsequently came away with a Netcomm NB1300PLUS4 ADSL modem/router/switch :D.

The new modem is set up and I have tested iChat with my sister in Sydney. It was only an audio chat (she doesn't have broadband), but it looks like I am back in business :D. Couldn't even do that with the D-Link :angry:.

However, I have come across one small anomally. The NB1300PLUS4 can't communicate with my Windows PC when the two are connected directly ;). I spent ages trying to work it out. Used different cables, different ports, but still the same result. I tried a Dell laptop (borrowed from work) with Windows XP on the same cables/ports, and it worked fine. In desperation I pulled out my old 5-port switch and put that between my NB1300PLUD4 and the PC, and now they communicate. I'm guessing that there is some incompatability with the Netcomm modem and the network card in the PC?

In any event, all is now working (although I am still using the switch I was trying to replace by buying a modem with an integrated switch).

purana
29th December 2004, 07:57 PM
Its possible your nic in the problem machine is haivng issues as you suggest... Try and force by its driver FULL or HALF duplex (or even force it to 10 instead of 100) see if that makes a difference..

MacDave
30th December 2004, 03:28 AM
Check out :

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93208

Note there are 4 ports to forward/open:

5060, 5190, 5297, 5298

Also, read this thread on unbinding SIP:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?sto...query=iChat+SIP (http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20041024202403434&query=iChat+SIP)

Good luck :)

luke_in_tas
30th December 2004, 08:25 AM
Thanks iodine - I'll give it a try when I get home tonight.

The problem certainly seems to be at the hardware level. My Windows PC is set up in a dual boot configuration with Fedora Core 1. I booted into Fedora, and still had the network problem when connected directly to the NB1300PLUS4. And again, the connection problem disappeared when I added my Belkin 5-port switch between the two.

The strange thing is that this problem only manifests itself between these two pieces of hardware when connected directly. The NIC in the PC hapily connects to my Belkin switch and to the D-Link modem/router/switch (before I returned it). I also tried a cross-over cable between the PC and the Dell laptop, and this worked fine as well. And both my Mac and the Dell laptop happily talk to the NB1300PLUS4 when connected directly.

Currawong
30th December 2004, 03:18 PM
Sounds like you have a rare incompatability between the chipsets of your modem and machine.

luke_in_tas
31st December 2004, 08:32 AM
Used iChat to conduct a video chat with a mate last night. Had no problems connecting with the Netcomm modem, despite it being a NAT router. Works out of the box. Have not had to change anything or forward any ports :D .

creativeshed
1st May 2005, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by Currawong@Dec 24 2004, 12:02 PM
Doesn't matter what router you have, you just have to forward ports 1067 and 5060 to your computer, then it will work.

Poor you being told Dlink is far superior to Netcomm. Generally I've gathered Dlink modems have more problems than other brands, but with all issues such as this, your mileage may vary and you may have got a good modem.
Sorry to bump an old thread but this applies directly to me.

I have a 504G, and want to do the port forward thing - the config screen confuses me, specifically:

what do I put in private IP?

then it has private port and a public port range - what do I put in there?

Many thanks in advance