PDA

View Full Version : Will you buy an iPhone

Kuma
16th February 2007, 01:15 AM
A lot of people have said they will many have said they wont....
so now Im curious...
are you going to get it...

if yes.. name the one feature that you love (just One)

If no... name one feature that would change your decision.

for me... it is the thing that I want most is the syncing capacity... anything that syncs as well as my ipod is the phone of choice... (especially considering I live in japan and most phones here can do pretty much what the iPhone can do)... except syncing with my Mac... for me this is the killer app... regardless of any other feature...

ClockWork
16th February 2007, 01:31 AM
I think I just don't buy into any mass consumerism. These things have no depth to them, from my point of view, and will not change my nature in any way, nor will they make life any easier... in - let's say, a hunter / gatherer sense.

Plus, the more complex a "thing" becomes, the more prone to failure it will be.

Desire is endless. Nods.

Cheers,

cw

decryption
16th February 2007, 04:05 AM
I think I'll die of envy if I don't have one. Hence, I will buy one :D

The Architect.mac
16th February 2007, 06:34 AM
yes... phone, ipod, internet device

Joltman
16th February 2007, 06:43 AM
yes to replace my aging Sony Erricsson P910i that will be nearly dead by the time the iphone hits our shores. I'll think twice about it though it is tied to Tel$tra though.

mechcon
16th February 2007, 07:04 AM
yes... phone, ipod, internet device

you mean a fancy ipod nano :P 8gb just wont cut the lunch for me :(

I dont know, as I've got a 60gb ipod... and it'd be hard to use the iphone as a replacement for music too...

Goodbye
16th February 2007, 07:26 AM
No - probably not. It will most likely be priced too expensively, plus with first revision things, especially something as complex as this, I am sure there will be teething troubles. Plus it's overkill for my needs.

morgs
16th February 2007, 07:30 AM
I will.

The whole thing impresses me, not just one thing.

Something I would love to see is proper integration with the iCal, being that if I say I am going to a movie, I can set the times, and choose sleep mode to be activated during those times.

dodgythong
16th February 2007, 07:36 AM
I will get one, I'm hoping that by the time they eventually release one here it'll have more storage and a better battery life.. but maybe that's wishful thinking.. even so, i'll prolly wait a few months after the initial release to get one, years of working in the telco industry have taught me that the first models of any new phone always have a few problems...

gehenna
16th February 2007, 07:41 AM
i won't personally buy one, but i'll get my boss to buy me one :D

smilne360
16th February 2007, 07:41 AM
no- give me a stylus, better claneder and an adapter to use whatever hearfones i want to with it...

melbmac
16th February 2007, 07:54 AM
I'm planning to....

grfxninja
16th February 2007, 08:16 AM
No - For me the limited 8Gb capacity, and non-replaceable battery is the killer. Fix those two things, and I'll take one

Kuma
16th February 2007, 09:03 AM
Right this wasnt the object of the thread but I have to address this..
8 GB in a phone is FUCKING HUGE!!! No phone on the market comes close

Yes they have expandable memory.. how much is an 8 GB SD card?? Bloody Heaps!!

I don t think there is a smartphone on the market that has more than 100MBs (the latest Blackberrys have 64mb).

applecollector
16th February 2007, 09:06 AM
I *may* buy one but it depends on how much they will be when they come out.
I'm just worried about the battery what happens if the battery dies? I'm sure you'll be able to replace the battery just like in the ipods.

pipsqeek
16th February 2007, 09:20 AM
By the tme it comes out, the other manufacturers will have something in the works that will take 1/10th the time to produce, market and finally sell.

The Asians are very good at copying things. And I don't think this will happen, but I wouldn't be surprised if the release a product before the iPhone actually goes on sale.

OziMac
16th February 2007, 09:25 AM
Kuma - yes, the syncing seals it for me too - the push email will be awesome too, I'd love it for Gmail as well. I would have loved voice activation too, but will wait patiently.

As for the 'limited' 8GB capacity - I guess what some people are trying to say is that they'd rather replace their iPods entirely than have a happy medium. You're absolutely right though, for now 8GB in a phone is phenomenal and can't be replicated on another device with SD for any decent price. :)

Granny Smith
16th February 2007, 09:35 AM
Yes. I will buy an iPhone - if and when I can.

mechcon
16th February 2007, 09:38 AM
iSuppose it shouldn't be too hard to synchronise a 30gb collection to 8gb with a playlist?

Kuma
16th February 2007, 09:42 AM
iSuppose it shouldn't be too hard to synchronise a 30gb collection to 8gb with a playlist?

my 60gb iPod has everything.. my nano only has podcasts, and Japanese content.. sync'd daily.. (which is how th iPhone is being designed.. to be sync'd daily

Evad
16th February 2007, 10:17 AM
gotta be the syncing for me too!

Aa
16th February 2007, 10:21 AM
YES, because i'm a sad arse Apple fanboy who can't wait to show off the touchscreen to friends while sprouting shit like "lets see your Blackberry do that Robert!" before realising it offers me precious little in real life over my T630.

macintoshix
16th February 2007, 10:34 AM
NO - I wont consider the iphone an option,when u step back from the hype it's just another mobile phone,which will superseeded before we know it, and if the unfortunate happens and the money grabbing telstra takes control then it will be out of the average australians budget,as for a business phone well its got its good points but doesn't really stack up especially without push email,come on guys i know we all love apple,and i know that some people will buy because of that reason alone,but one can imagine the price tag on this beauty,looks alone just dont cut it for me,when a phone company can bring out a phone that remotely controls wives and bank managers im there...:)

grfxninja
16th February 2007, 10:56 AM
8 GB in a phone is FUCKING HUGE!!! No phone on the market comes close

I don t think there is a smartphone on the market that has more than 100MBs (the latest Blackberrys have 64mb).

Valid points Kuma, but I think the idea Apple is trying to put accross is for the iPhone to be a Phone and MP3 player (among other things).
As it is, I take my phone and iPod with me when I go out. I would much rather replace both items with one iPhone, but it doesn't have the capacity that I want in an iPod, therefore the capacity is a big issue to me (and other people it would seem).
I already have a pretty decent phone which plays music etc, and I have an iPod. So why do I need to buy an iPhone? What is the benefit of it over what I have now? (I don't use my current phone for email etc - maybe in future, who knows...)
For me to buy it, it has to replace what I have now, and 8Gb doesn't cut it I'm afraid.

[MREVO8]
16th February 2007, 10:57 AM
Yes - Push IMAP mail and random access voicemail are the selling points for me... Plus it looks so Star Trek.

marc
16th February 2007, 11:02 AM
Yes, but only a 3G version. Going to Japan in October, so maybe I'll be able to get one there :)

king89
16th February 2007, 11:10 AM
for it is syncing too.

You know how you can use the phone horizontally, I wonder if you try to use the phone with two hands will it cover the sensor over the ear piece and will the screen automatically turn off?
that would be rather annoying.

Kuma
16th February 2007, 11:18 AM
Yes, but only a 3G version. Going to Japan in October, so maybe I'll be able to get one there :)

good luck...

g5agogo
16th February 2007, 11:26 AM
It it syncs and is 3G, I'm in.

mechanix
16th February 2007, 11:40 AM
3G, replaceable battery, competitive pricing and im there.

Kuma
16th February 2007, 11:48 AM
all those who want replaceable batteries...
how often do you replace the battery on your current phone?
I have never done it!
maybe it is just me...

smilne360
16th February 2007, 11:51 AM
i have 2 spare batteries and change them if one runs flat, as i only get 2 days max charge... not allways able to charege overnight

Tungsten
16th February 2007, 12:05 PM
I'll be buying at least two most probably,I bought my girlfriend a dopod for xmas (same as a jasjam) but when she saw a picture of the iphone she wanted to know why I didn't buy her one of them,I told her maybe next xmas.So I'll be standing inline waiting when they are released.I really hate windows mobile:mad:.Would like to see 850mhz version so it'll work outside a capital city though.

Jazarus
16th February 2007, 12:10 PM
a phaser beam set at max of "stun" level would be nice

designers_hub
16th February 2007, 01:03 PM
it really depends on the contract it would be attached to, ifs its not alot more than your normal phone contract then probably.

marc
16th February 2007, 01:12 PM
all those who want replaceable batteries...
how often do you replace the battery on your current phone?
I have never done it!
maybe it is just me...
Yeah. Me either. I can understand that it's an issue for some people though.

If there's a full iPod dock connector on it then you could use a hideously ugly 3rd party add on :)

Tiger
16th February 2007, 01:22 PM
Irrespective of price I will buy one unless it is found to be problematic or a real lemon which I will doubt.

No Phone is perfect so I am not expecting perfection per se.

Erwin
16th February 2007, 01:30 PM
Yes. I'm using a Windows Mobile device but I don't like the problems it has.

Quamen
16th February 2007, 02:12 PM
I'll buy one. Purely because it'll be the only phone I know of that syncs everything with iCal correctly. There's nothing more annoying that adding todo's and calendar events on your phone, and then having to convert them to the correct calendars once you've got them back on your computer.

nicwithsticks
16th February 2007, 02:36 PM
By the time the iPhone gets here, my current contract should be just about over, so I'll most certainly be getting one.

I will of course be scoping it out and making sure I like it before I do, but as long as it doesn't cost the earth I don't see there being a problem.

lavo
16th February 2007, 02:55 PM
No. Price is the killer for me. I already have a phone (Windows mobile) plus an iPod. Both do what I want with little fuss.

I'm not getting too hyped up until a carrier is confirmed in Australia. Seeing as Cingular had to make a few concessions, I'm wondering if any Australian carriers will. The voicemail feature may be a sticking point, but the boon of data transfer for all the web stuff might get one of them over the line.

The only thing that Telstra guy said was right was about the delivery time of the iPhone in Australia. By that time, all the others will have caught up to some degree.

uncyherb
16th February 2007, 03:54 PM
I moved a step closer to owning one today when Telstra basically ruled themselves out of carrying it.

If 3 are the carrier I'll be first in line.

Brains
20th February 2007, 07:56 PM
I'd never get one, no matter how good it is or what features it had. Too much too soon too little too late too hampered. Its only saving grace is the one thing Apple do better than anyone else, and that's the interface.

My existing phone does al I want (send & receive SMSes) is six years old and still going on its original batteries (I have two and alternate them once a month); I don't own an iPod, the only portable music player I have is an MP3CD player which lives in the car anyway. I used to use a small Casio PDA (until it met The Boot Of Dana ;)) but have gone back to pencil and paper -- I love how postits don't crash or lock up, and are non-volatile!

B.

mwidjaya
20th February 2007, 08:38 PM
I would get it in a heartbeat. If only it can work with Blackberry Enterprise Server, I wouldn't have to carry a blackberry as well.

harps
20th February 2007, 08:41 PM
Short answer - Yes, but when the 3G version comes out!

serdar
20th February 2007, 08:42 PM
I'm fairly sure that I would get one. What's missing is an affordable all-you-can-eat data plan from Telstra/Voda/Optus!

serdar
20th February 2007, 08:47 PM
If 3 are the carrier I'll be first in line.
Isn't 3 a 3G only service whereas the iPhone is 2.5G?

forgie
20th February 2007, 08:51 PM
Yeah, 3 (hutchison telecom) only own 3G and CDMA infrastructure, which AFAIK is completely incompatible with the iPhone. Maybe the iPhone rev. b will be compatible with other networks, but for now it's Telstra or nothing.

luke_in_tas
20th February 2007, 08:51 PM
I'll be getting one, and depending on the price I'll probably get my wife one too (after the iPhone demo during the keynote she wants one, even though she generally dislikes gadgets/technology).

No real standout killer feature for me - just that it's very cool. Oh, and I expect it will just work better with my Mac than my Treo does (calendar syncing is still a pain, as Palm have no Hobart time zone, and daylight savings start and finish dates put us in a different time zone to the rest of the east coast for a couple of months a year).

I also hope that there is a 3G version by the time it gets to Australia. If there isn't I'd most likely hold out till there is one.

neg2led
20th February 2007, 09:03 PM
No.

Why not? I'm not a big fan of do-it-all devices. i have my ipod nano, i will have my RIZR Z8. i dont want to have a $1000 device in my pocket. when i dont want tunes, i leave the nano. when i dont need phone (hah!) i leave the rizr.

--neg

Mark5
20th February 2007, 09:32 PM
Yes hoping to purchase one, but not straight away.

Will wait for for second reversion to arrive.

Also do not want to be tied into any service provider, so hope it can be bought outright. Leaving one free to choose S. P.

Seems to be a fantastic gadget, cool, cool, cool, did I say cool
ipod, phone, internet ...

:cool:

Mctastic
20th February 2007, 09:46 PM
indeed i will get one. why? mobile phones have disappointed me heaps over the years, and i've owned the best of them. i;ve also desired a pda type phone gadget, .. and well, if Apple make it,.. it WILL be good. as for battery, etc... ok, that does concern me. i see 100's of ipod a week come through for repairs etc. if they go solid state on this new gadget, then there is hope.

features? just one really,... a pda/phone/organiser/gps that syncs to my mac properly,

i'm not asking much now, am i :o...

dolbinau
20th February 2007, 10:14 PM
As soon as it is in Australia, unless a Widescreen Video iPod comes first.

The Fluffy Duck
20th February 2007, 10:23 PM
The phone is cool. But low data costs are what is going to make or break this phone. If they go with any of australias current phone data costs I will have to but a kiddney on the black market to use pay for it. I will probably get one but avoid using the internet or google maps or email :(

Fino_Mac
20th February 2007, 10:24 PM
I'm gonna buy it.

forgie
20th February 2007, 10:26 PM
I'll get one. I am aware that there may be issues with things like the battery, but I'm more then willing to take that risk to get a mobile phone designed by a company who understands innovative UI design.

rtc
20th February 2007, 10:32 PM
YES YES YES......

..... IF....

- It's got at least 50GB capacity
- It's features ALL work via my carrier
- I can push email from a m$ exchange OR a lotus domino server (note that in the keynote steve implied m$ exchange was compatible but the specs and the reviews say otherwise).

marc
20th February 2007, 10:48 PM
- It's got at least 50GB capacity
It's flash based, so you know 50gb is a while off!
(Yes, I know the chips are available... just not cheap)

skip
20th February 2007, 11:13 PM
I'd never get one, no matter how good it is or what features it had. Too much too soon too little too late too hampered.

Doesn't compute dear boy - too much too soon or too little too late - which is it? Not hampered per se, I don't like the closed system and lack of Java, but it's Steve's child, so that's expected. Does most things better than most people would have experienced in a phone or similar type device. And the interface is one of the best things ever.

What it offers + interface is pretty much the perfect amount of wow and usability for the 'average western consumer' (whatever that is). Price is way too high, but many said the same for the iPod too, and we saw what that did for portable music playing devices. Still, factoring in the plan costs will put it a bit further than I want to reach for...at the moment.

I'm sure they'll offer some improved solutions for the 'business' user over time, plus the promised 3G versions and incremental improvements (3MP+ camera, improved Widgets for Office readability, TV interface, upped memory, FM radio etc) will hopefully come with a degree of decent regularity, along with price cuts. Converting to Windows (for work) has me hoping (probably with futility) for operability with Exchange...

If they hope to compete in Japan, they better not rest on their laurels, the phones over there 18 months ago were competitive with regard to some features, so who knows where the phones over there are at now. Japan's reaction to the 'launch' was very muted from what I gather.

My k800i does much of what the iPhone does, but I'm disappointed with the speed and some design and menu choice aspects of its interface. The 3mp camera is awesome for such a device. I can't be bothered with the web features, not because web browsing doesn't look nice on it, but it's clunky and not intuitive. I'm very happy with it, but given it's the supposed pinnacle of 'consumer' phones (as opposed to smartphones), it's a tad disappointing. Still, it will easily last the two years I'm signed up for, probably more. The iPhone might be tempting by then, but price needs to drop and the basic features need to surpass my current device by a mile before I'll splurge.

Personally, give me a 80-100 GB iPod with iPhone interface and WiFi browsing (basically the iPhone without the phone) and I'll be the first to get one. No, two.

macsyd
20th February 2007, 11:16 PM
Personally, give me a 80-100 GB iPod with iPhone interface and WiFi browsing (basically the iPhone without the phone) and I'll be the first to get one. No, two.

Ditto that

Malakai
20th February 2007, 11:29 PM
No - It would be one more gadget that I wouldn't use 75% of it's features. I only need a phone that makes phone calls, sends text messages and takes the occasional quick snap of something interesting.

If Apple brought out a new 30, 80 or 100gb iPod with the same looks and interface then I'm there with cash in hand. Essentially it would need to be an iPhone with just the iPod part and lots more storage like the the current gen iPods.

antechinus55
20th February 2007, 11:48 PM
buy one! I'm trying to talk apple into giving me one!! (so far the best they will do is a cardboard cutout of one, still i can probably sell that on eBay).

Thats a joke in case you scrivelled up mods don't recognise one.

Brains
21st February 2007, 12:24 AM
Doesn't compute dear boy - too much too soon or too little too late - which is it?

Too much: trying to cram too many fatures into the one box, and as a result it is far more expensive than is warranted.

Too soon: by publicly proving the iPhony is possible and then say "you can't buy one for six months, maybe longer" gives competitors to make something comparable and have it on shelves first. Take the Meizu miniOne for example.

Too little: for all its whizbang-ness, there's a lot that it can't do -- replace batteries, use 3G, and let the end-user choose their carrier, for starters.

Too late: Apple chould have had this on shelves almost a year ago, they had the technology but it had been delayed constantly because Steve kept nitpicking. Gods knows the market's been rumourmongering about the iPhone for long enough.

The wi-fi browsing can go get knotted as far as I'm concerned, capacities over 16 GB in NVFLASH would price the unit way out of everyone's pockets (instead of being just hellishly expensive) and hard drives are still too fragile, you can get pocket media players for a quarter the price of the iPhony ...

To be honest, I'm much more excited about the possibilities of a subMacBook, especially if it comes with the Fingerworks multitouch screen UI.

B.

skip
21st February 2007, 12:42 AM
Re too late: Oh I agree, especially when you consider we won't see it for quite a while here. That being said, it's taken this kick in the pants to get the long term players even starting to try this sort of interface...and they won't do it as well.

Re too soon: supposedly due to regulations or potential disclosure from patents or somesuch. I don't doubt this, surely there would have been more to talk about at a MACworld if they didn't have to disclose phone details early.

Re too little: VERY few people outside of geekdom have two batteries. A 3G version WILL come out, probably for release here I predict (it's necessary for Japan and our version will be later)....I seriously don't know why this is harped on, it effectively was announced at the launch.

Too much: I agree, like I said it's too expensive. But the too much / too little tradeoff will never please geeks, epecially at Apple's premium. It's an argument that can't be logically won. Hell, I just saw a PC+19"LCD+external Seagate drive for the same price as I'll buy a Mac Mini. Logic doesn't come into it though... And the fact that iAnything sells so well these days is that the price / functions / interface tradeoff is pretty good for the average Joe.

As far as an iPod version of an iPhone, I have no doubt they'll release a HD version sans phone. The way flash memory prices and capacity are going, I give it two, maybe three years before HD is long gone. And of course you can get pocket media devices for cheaper (2GB video/mp3/wma player at Target is $120 as advertised today). But they don't sell as many, nor are as easy to use or as integrated, or... ;) Just because I can fiddle with file types or move media around when I connect a device or manually transfer calendar details etc doesn't mean I ever want to.

forgie
21st February 2007, 12:53 AM
I think you're all underestimating the time it takes to get a new UI as complex (in terms of low-level hardware-software interaction) to work without issues. To get the touch-screen typing to work well. To get it to not annoy the shit out of you. It is a huge effort, and one which is pointless unless you do it RIGHT. Which means SJ's perfectionism is the only thing that will make the iPhone worthwhile.

marc
21st February 2007, 01:12 AM
I think you're all underestimating the time it takes to get a new UI as complex (in terms of low-level hardware-software interaction) to work without issues. To get the touch-screen typing to work well. To get it to not annoy the shit out of you. It is a huge effort, and one which is pointless unless you do it RIGHT. Which means SJ's perfectionism is the only thing that will make the iPhone worthwhile.
Yeah. And the reason phones like the LG Prada won't ever be as nice.

hard drives are still too fragile
Yeah, it'd never work in a phone or mp3 player. ;)
(my old 3G iPod still works btw... it's outlived a few phones)

Kuma
21st February 2007, 02:19 AM
If they hope to compete in Japan, they better not rest on their laurels, the phones over there 18 months ago were competitive with regard to some features, so who knows where the phones over there are at now. Japan's reaction to the 'launch' was very muted from what I gather.

Muted...
hmmm my phone now
can

surf the internet (granted optimised sites for mobiles are much better
push mail (with cool emoticons included)
pay for soft drinks at vending machines
pay my train fare (if I am in Tokyo and I imagine Osaka) although it looks like Sapporo is installing the system
act as my membership card at various retail outlets...and I think my dentist is installing the system too..
take outstanding photos and video
listen to music and radio
calendar
to do's
dictionary
type a japanese email faster than a 14yo can send a broken english sms (and thats me typing in japanese the self completion dictionaries are amazing... almost teach yourself the language). teenage girls are phenomenal at sending emails.. it really is a site to behold.
sms (limited to same carrier only)
the latest release of my phone also has tv (which you dont have to pay for)
gps.. find friends neighbours restaurants and get directions using it

the one thing it cant do.. without purchasing $100 software is sync to my mac.

function for function my current phone beats the crap out of the iPhone as we now it.

Where the iPhone gets its own back is awesome interface.. better web browsing ability... and syncs with the mac. as I said this is my primary reason to get it. I will miss the "wallet" feature.. (and I hope it has some awesome Japanese and english abilities for sending email)...