PDA

View Full Version : Telstra plays it cool on iPhone

shaundesign
15th February 2007, 06:47 PM
Here is an interesting article about Telstra and the iphone. It seems like Telstra aren't to excited about it.

Telstra plays it cool on iPhone (http://au.news.yahoo.com/070215/2/12fja.html)

MacTime
15th February 2007, 07:20 PM
I've been thinking that Telstra being the carrier network for iPhone would be a conflict of intrests. They have Bigpond Music downloads but iPhone would encourage people to use iTunes instead. :confused:

Edge
15th February 2007, 07:23 PM
Wow.

The guy quoted is a dead set, effing muppet.

My Apple bias aside, the guy clearly has no understanding of why the iPod was so successful, nor how deeply dissatisfied many people are with the poor usability of nearly every mobile phone ever sold.

It just goes to show why Telstra's GSM mobile coverage is the only thing they have going for them from a marketing perspective. I hope the iPhone is updated with a non-GPRS variant as quickly as possible, so Australian buyers are not stuck with this ageing behemoth of a telco.

Telstra/Telecom comes from an era where companies told people what they wanted, and they shut up and swallowed it. That sh!t doesn't fly anymore.

Febs
15th February 2007, 07:24 PM
Meh, I wouldn't be going to Telstra even if they did have the iPhone. I'll just wait until you can get a 3G version on Vodafone (yeah, in 2010 or whenever that is ;)).

I know I'll get LOTS of disagreeance here, but IMO:
Vodafone > Optus > Telstra.

Cheers,
- Febs.

Exocet
15th February 2007, 07:29 PM
All carriers have their own music download services, Telstra is no different. Greg Winn's a douche anyway :)

Nukolator
15th February 2007, 07:34 PM
My take - Apple haven't offered Telstra enough of a slice of the pie to get excited about it.
Also, if the general reaction to Apple products from most people at Telstra is anything to go by, Greg Winn is probably hoping that Apple will just "go away", so they can continue with their Windows centred monopoly. I can understand his concern about Apple as a mobile phone vendor, but I think it shows he just doesn't "get" the iPhone - it really will be a radically different device from what the other vendors are bringing to market. It's a shame there's noone else for Apple to go with...

Febs
15th February 2007, 07:41 PM
It's a shame there's noone else for Apple to go with...

Or alternatively, it could be the prod Apple needs to bring out a 3G version sooner. :)

dodgythong
15th February 2007, 07:48 PM
well probably, telstra would encourage apple to develop a model for their nextG network... which would make it totally worth it. it's the biggest single network in the country, and it has the fastest data speeds, which may come in handy for downloading things like tv shows etc directly to the handset... assuming the whole itunes vs bigpond music thing is sorted out .. :/

joh
15th February 2007, 07:55 PM
being a tight arse i just switched to telstra because they offer a free hour of my choice : during it i can call any fixed or mobile phone for free for 20 minutes - i nominate any hour and i can change it if i want - 20 bucks a month for 25 bucks worth of calls - plus a $50 bonus for signing up online - the dutchman in me says : yes

mechcon
15th February 2007, 07:56 PM
I've got my bets on Three and/or Vodafone

icant
15th February 2007, 07:58 PM
IMHO network-specific phones aren't a huge deal in Australia. AFAIK most people buy whichever phone they want, to use on whichever GSM network they need. I could be wrong.

Vodafone had some Vodafone-branded Nokias, but those were available for sale standalone as well, under a different model number.

marc
15th February 2007, 08:00 PM
Vodafone > Optus > Telstra.
No argument here. I'm on Vodafone now... thinking about switching to Virgin to find out if Virgin > Vodafone > Optus > Telstra :)

lucious
15th February 2007, 08:01 PM
Apple have released the iPhone as 2.5G so that it works in the 'behind-the-times' US market. In Europe and Asia we are all going 3G, and so they will have to release a version of the iPhone for those markets - remember, we won't get it until 2008...

Hopefully you'll be able to buy it off the shelf and put your SIM in it!! Maybe you won't get to use all those features, but Telstra will charge Sh1tloads for it.

It'll give the market a good shake-up.

Edge
15th February 2007, 08:11 PM
Just to be clear, only Telstra offers a GPRS-EDGE data service which is what the iPhone features. Unless they release an updated model, the only way to get data on the damn thing will be from Telstra.

I'm assuming that there will be a way to put your own sim card in it for use in Australia. It remains to be seen whether that involves waiting until it is released in Europe and buying it outright.

I, for one, will be keeping a close eye on the matter. I certainly won't be waiting until the self-pleasing knob-jockeys at Telstra get their Luddite arses around to releasing it.

entropy
15th February 2007, 08:34 PM
I think there is a bit of negotiating in public going on here - the sap thinks that as Telstra has the only edge network here, apple has no choice but to deal with them.
Australia is not a big enough market to force apple to go 3g just for us. But they pretty much have to for europe, so we will get 3g too. What a tool.

dodgythong
15th February 2007, 09:11 PM
every carrier here is moving towards 3G with a vengance, Telstra more than any. The initial relase of iPhone in aus *may* be a 2.5g phone, however last I knew, telstra does intend to shut off all other net's other than NextG, given they are the largest carrier, it stands to reason that apple would want to deal with them, to get the best chance of a marketshare, if they do, you can bet that they'll make a nextG 850 version. It's hardly a large leap, 3G 850 is used in lots of other countries around the world, including the USA - i'd assert it won't be too long after it's initial release that we do see a 3g version of the iPhone. If they decide to go with a single network, will be the deciding factor as to wether it's a 3G 2100 or 3G 850

macsyd
15th February 2007, 10:06 PM
There's been a couple of comments about Telstra being the largest network (not just in this thread), and therefore the obvious Apple business partner. As I understand it, Telstra is largely no 1 because of business and govt corporate contracts.

From what I've read, the iPhone isn't aimed at the business user (ie yahoo push email, not blackbery style) so it would make sense to go with a more consumer oriented network I would think. There won't be too many businesses replacing their stock issue $150 nokias with iphones I would think, and as appealing as it is as an executive toy, without good push email, it just wont cut it for most business users.

So my tip, therefore is Vodafone.

dodgythong
15th February 2007, 10:24 PM
i totally agree with you that Voda has much more of a youth market, however something like 45% of their customer base is prepaid - which isn't a good prospect for trying to bundle what will be an $8-900 handset (if not more) once it reaches Aus.. Voda may have a younger market, but most prepaiders cant afford the expense of the iphone, unless they plan to bundle it for a hugely discounted price..

nicwithsticks
15th February 2007, 10:36 PM
I think Apple will go with telco it can wring the best deal from. We'll all just have to watch and see who they choose for their Euro carriers, which might give us a little indication.

I used to be with Optus and I'm now with Three. If I have to move back to Optus or over to Vodafone, then so be it. I want this thing. If it is with Telstra, then I will evaluate the plans and most probably (through gritted teeth) get one.

At any rate it's some way off, so here's hoping Apple can pump out a 3G version and strike a deal with another carrier.

Kuma
16th February 2007, 12:11 AM
as I said back in January...

Telstra are in bed with Redmond at so many levels...

Telstra is not an apple friendly company... never has been never will be... optus and vodafone are far more likely contenders...

and given Australia's total impact on the global martket I dont think Apple will care which provider they go with here...

smilne360
16th February 2007, 07:14 AM
wont apple want the company who'll reinvent voicemail for them?.....and that would be ?

i would think that it is possible that we wont see the 1st gen here, but a 2nd gen, given the lenght of time we expect to wait, and given that we update our phones every 2 years theyd be about ready to lanuch the next one....

Tungsten
16th February 2007, 07:28 AM
It isn't worthwhile for Apple to release the Iphone here as is.It has to be 3g or nextg for it to have any impact,the best bet would be to make it similar to the smart phones available now with multi band support,that said by the time it is released here 3g will be old tech and probably on the way out anyway so 850mhz with higher data speeds etc is the way to go maybe vodaphone and hutchison will be supporting this by then.

mechcon
16th February 2007, 07:48 AM
even though the online billing system on Three only works in internet explorer (so it seems) their netconnect cards will work on macs, i mean look at the picture of the notebook on the site regardig the card.

Kuma
16th February 2007, 07:50 AM
It isn't worthwhile for Apple to release the Iphone here as is.It has to be 3g or nextg for it to have any impact,the best bet would be to make it similar to the smart phones available now with multi band support,that said by the time it is released here 3g will be old tech and probably on the way out anyway so 850mhz with higher data speeds etc is the way to go maybe vodaphone and hutchison will be supporting this by then.

while 3G is old tech.. it is still being rolled out in most countries...
Japan and Sth Korea are beginning to talk 4G... but it wont be for a while... you can bet Aust/Europe/America wont be looking at 4G til post 2010.

Granny Smith
16th February 2007, 08:00 AM
Here also:
http://www.smh.com.au/news/biztech/telstra-to-apple-stick-to-your-knitting/2007/02/15/1171405363291.html

It sounds to me like Telstra's looked at the iPhone and gone: "Whoa! What can we do to stop this?". If I had to put money on either Apple or Telstra being the company to produce something that is innovative, technologically excellent, user-friendly and reliable, I would not be backing the Australian telco. Its track record on every one of those issues is woeful. It's a tried-and-tested corporate strategy: if you can't compete, badmouth the opposition. It's cheap and it's tacky. But that's Telstra.

WonderBoy
16th February 2007, 08:27 AM
The only thing I agree with Telstra on is the non replaceable battery. While I'm willing to put up with it on the iPod, I wouldn't be happy if it was the case with my mobile phone - a device I use for business not just pleasure.

Kuma
16th February 2007, 09:05 AM
this story made engadget....

Secoa
16th February 2007, 12:24 PM
Knowing apple I believe the iphone will be successful. As it is not targetting at the business user.

The guy from Telstra reminds of a certain person who turned down the Beatles. I am sure this guy won't be making the ultimate call as to whether Telstra will be selling the iPhone.

Telstra simply wants to improve thier bottom line. They couldn't care what phone they sell. As to whether they are apple friendly or not - it doesn't matter to them. It's all about profits. Telstra will use any marketing ploy to get customers to sign up to their network. I got my ipod mini as part of a plan that my company signed up. :D

At the time the salesguy said heaps of customers signed up with the ipod give away.

My thoughts anyway.

Secoa

designers_hub
16th February 2007, 03:08 PM
they may be playing hard to get ;)

Exocet
16th February 2007, 03:13 PM
3G 850 is used in lots of other countries around the world, including the USA
Actually its only used in two - USA and Canada, with Cingular and Rogers Wireless who Apple have already secured deals with for the iPhone. USA uses GSM850 heavily, not UMTS850.

Kuma
16th February 2007, 06:25 PM
I reckon everybody here will have it...

by the time it gets here all operators will be offering systems for it to work with (the only real special service is the voice mail).. nothing very special about anything else.

We will get the european version, which will be freely available to all through which ever provider you want...

marc
16th February 2007, 08:06 PM
they may be playing hard to get ;)
...or have already missed out on the contract and want to appear like they don't care.