PDA

View Full Version : Samsung's iPhone clone

STK
14th February 2007, 09:29 AM
Samsung's iPhone clone (http://www.theage.com.au/news/phones--pdas/samsungs-iphone-clone/2007/02/10/1170524349842.html)
http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2007/02/11/300_samsungiphone1.jpg

Doesnt look as good as the iPhone does it?

marc
14th February 2007, 10:34 AM
I like the minimal icon design.

How can any device that's essentially a large touch screen look too different to the iPhone? It's not like the iPhone can own that design... it's just a big touch screen on a small device. I don't really think anyone's copying the iPhone here, they're just solving the design problem the only way it can be.

It's good to see some serious competition. If only the MP3 player market had this many good options. Having said all that, it doesn't run OS X and it doesn't use Core Anim for its UI. And it probably hasn't had a much time put into the way it works.

Still, the more devices like this, the more Apple will have to be competitive and allow 3rd party apps etc, which is a good thing.

warren21
14th February 2007, 10:57 AM
I won't be getting this model. That screen is covering a big ugly slide out keyboard. I've seen photo's of it.

mechanix
14th February 2007, 12:15 PM
True that the system doesnt have the os x core but as pulled directly from the above link:

"Its third-generation (3G) technology is considerably faster than the iPhone's EDGE system, and its 5-megapixel camera outclasses the iPhone's 2-megapixel camera."

So this phone too has its own advantages... although its price tag is $180 USD higher, which will prolly doom its initial success.

marc
14th February 2007, 12:20 PM
3G is very important... I doubt I'll buy an iPhone until that's in. 5 megapixel camera I'm not too stressed about (I wonder which has a better lens).

goldcoaster
14th February 2007, 02:03 PM
I notice it has a camera at the front as well as back, that means 3g video calls - for some reason Apple isn't going that way.

And a slide out keypad - great 'cos I don't like pressing non-tactile keys.

--------------------------

- GoldCoaster (http://goldcoaster.wordpress.com)

ilostmypassword
14th February 2007, 02:10 PM
That looks awesome! I love Samsung products.. and their warrantee + customer service laughs in the face of Apple care.

Those icons look great just floating. Minimal goodness :D Admittedly, that's just one screen.. i wonder what the rest of the UI looks like...

Maybe the iphone has bitten off more than it can chew in the phone market? Interesting.

Good job!

entropy
14th February 2007, 02:54 PM
I agree that there isn't too many options for designing a touch screen phone, they will all end up looking pretty similar from the front.

On the one hand, the reason the iphone is not 3g is it is for the american market, where 3g sux, and Jobs has already said there will be a 3g version next, as has already been covered ad nuasem.
On the other hand, this bugger would weigh, and look, like a brick if placed alongside an iphone, - it has a slide out keyboard.
The gripping hand is that this is a touch screen, not a multi touch screen, so the gui will be extremely boring compared with the iphone.

It would also be interesting in observing if there are any quality differences in the screen, colour etc. If samsung have a hand in providing parts to the iphone, I wonder if there is an element of reverse engineering?

danno74
14th February 2007, 03:05 PM
damn, that thing is ugly... on every level... the icons are terrible, the font is shocking, the body of the phone is disgusting... just awful, Samsung, awful.

The iPhone's interface and industrial design is some of the most beautiful I've ever seen... I don't know how people can compare pieces of crap like the Samsung to an iPhone, I really don't.

playa78
14th February 2007, 03:15 PM
you can't really say it's iphone clone..
its not like they developed this in a month time after iphone was released..
even iphone had been likened to have copied LG prada phone but its hard to design these sort of smartphone any other way i guess. just because its black and rectagular shaped with rounded edges doesn't mean its a clone. yes, I would still get an iphone if it does come out here in aus but this phone would be interesting option with great spec and build quality.
i wonder if 3 could offer this if it does get released in Aus..

playa78
14th February 2007, 03:18 PM
damn, that thing is ugly... on every level... the icons are terrible, the font is shocking, the body of the phone is disgusting... just awful, Samsung, awful.

The iPhone's interface and industrial design is some of the most beautiful I've ever seen... I don't know how people can compare pieces of crap like the Samsung to an iPhone, I really don't.

hmm.. obviously you've never used a samsung phone b4..
i've yet to see their phone with dodgy build or quality.
many ppl prefer minimalistic look now because there are just too many bubbly looking icons and fonts everywhere.

having said that I would still get the iphone coz it will sync up with me all apple products.

danno74
14th February 2007, 03:20 PM
Yes, I have used a Samsung phone before, and I never liked their GUI. In fact, I've never seen a GUI look as good as the iPhone's does.

It's all in the details.

marc
14th February 2007, 03:32 PM
It's all in the details.
...like the way that samsung's vertical highlight bar cuts the type at the top and ruins the division of the 4 icons on the bottom row. Quite poor design.

danno74
14th February 2007, 03:42 PM
Exactly.

...like the way that samsung's vertical highlight bar cuts the type at the top and ruins the division of the 4 icons on the bottom row. Quite poor design.

forgie
14th February 2007, 04:12 PM
I've read a couple of reviews of this f700 - and one thing stands out... the number of people who have said that the f700 is going to kill the iPhone because it has better technical specs. I won't even go into that one, but needless to say I would bet quite some money that these guys are windows users. Easy-to-use UI design is probably sounds like "la-la-la-la-la" to them. Anyway.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/images/article/inline/4060-UltraSmartF7005.jpg

Slide out keyboard. Having played with my Dad's very well built Samsung 3g flip-phone, I can definitively say that Samsung's software UI (on that phone at least) is terrible. As in it sucks. It's like windows 2000. Unless Samsung have some new/different engineers working on the f700, it will be a complete joke when compared to the UI of the iPhone.

Ben™
14th February 2007, 04:25 PM
I've read a couple of reviews of this f700 - and one thing stands out... the number of people who have said that the f700 is going to kill the iPhone because it has better technical specs. I won't even go into that one, but needless to say I would bet quite some money that these guys are windows users. Easy-to-use UI design is probably sounds like "la-la-la-la-la" to them. Anyway.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/images/article/inline/4060-UltraSmartF7005.jpg

Slide out keyboard. Having played with my Dad's very well built Samsung 3g flip-phone, I can definitively say that Samsung's software UI (on that phone at least) is terrible. As in it sucks. It's like windows 2000. Unless Samsung have some new/different engineers working on the f700, it will be a complete joke when compared to the UI of the iPhone.
There's a whole new software system for the newer Samsungs. I hate the current one also, but the new one is looking promising.

I think I might buy this over the iPhone, but we'll see when the time comes.

marc
14th February 2007, 04:51 PM
There's a whole new software system for the newer Samsungs. I hate the current one also, but the new one is looking promising.
The amount of design mistakes in the one image they've chosen for a promo shot doesn't leave me with much confidence.

As for phone UIs... I think the older Nokia OS (8250 etc, pre symbian?) were great. Newer Nokia's seem like a bit of a disaster. The SEs are my current favourite, but they're really nothing special in terms of usability.