PDA

View Full Version : Nrtworking

plod2
14th February 2007, 07:14 AM
In the past I have been able to access my mac's harddrive from work by turning on sharing. Now I have put my mac behind a router and can't figure out how to do it.
Secondly I want to be able to transfer file between my mac and a mates xp machine (ftp?) I know I need to turn on windows sharing, but what about the xp end. Can we get it working both ways? Any good web sites around that covers this.
I would usually use email, but the biggest file through email is 20mb and these files are around 30mb. I have tried skype and that is painfully slow. I have had no problems doing this mac to mac in the past but not behind a router

plod2
19th February 2007, 04:24 PM
Bump***

theov
19th February 2007, 04:42 PM
I would say you would have to set up port forwarding on your router so that the ports that would be used to do the different things you are wanting to do go straight to your machine. Unfortunately I don't know which port numbers they would be but hopefully someone on here does or you might be able to use google or the apple website to find out.

theov

mjankor
19th February 2007, 05:01 PM
http://mjankor.homeip.net/Site/The%20Mac%20Mini%20Project.html

Maybe something helpful there.

rtc
19th February 2007, 05:30 PM
I would say you would have to set up port forwarding on your router so that the ports that would be used to do the different things you are wanting to do go straight to your machine. Unfortunately I don't know which port numbers they would be but hopefully someone on here does or you might be able to use google or the apple website to find out.

theov

Port forwarding - absolutely.

Depends on your router and NAT settings.

Go to www.portforwarding.com (or similar) and sus it out.

Or get a p2p server of some sort if you prefer that alternative - must be either platform independent or able to be accessed from both mac and pc (yes there's a difference).

E.g. Hotline, Carracho, KDX etc.

rtc
19th February 2007, 05:34 PM
http://mjankor.homeip.net/Site/The%20Mac%20Mini%20Project.html

Maybe something helpful there.

Off the topic but you may wanna know.

There's two broken links at http://mjankor.homeip.net/Site/Hardware%20Mods.html

mjankor
19th February 2007, 06:00 PM
Oopsie Daisies :D

Fixed...

MacDave
19th February 2007, 07:25 PM

theov

A very simple way to find out which ports various services use is to enable the service in the sharing pane, select the corresponding service in OS X's firewall and click on "Edit."

E.g. this is pasted from Personal File Sharing:

When you turn on Personal File Sharing in the Services pane, you also allow the service access through the firewall on TCP port(s) 548, 427. To stop access through the firewall you must turn off this service using the Services pane

Dave