PDA

View Full Version : security cables are not safe at all

sillydog701
23rd December 2004, 11:13 AM
According to The Mac Observer report, Thieves Smash & Grab 6 PowerBooks at Pittsburgh Apple Store (http://www.macobserver.com/article/2004/12/22.10.shtml), it only took less than 30 seconds for two suspects to take away 6 PowerBooks locked to the security cables.

Surveillance video shows one of the two suspects smashing through the glass window. Both suspects then took less than 30 seconds to run through the store ripping 12-, 15-, and 17-inch PowerBook laptops from their security cables.

"They ran through the store very fast," Detective Darling told TMO. "The laptops were locked down, but they just pulled the cables from the stands as hard as they could and ran out."

Seems like those security cables are not so secure. That's a worry to me.

LCGuy
23rd December 2004, 11:39 AM
doesn't surprise me. When Dad got his company laptop (a Tecra S1), it came with a Kensington Security cable that never gets used. I can understand why. I've used it on both my 1400 and his Toshiba, and on both machines the lock wobbles like all hell when its in place.

macintoshrules
23rd December 2004, 11:40 AM
They aren't safe at all, you can only really use them to deter casual thieves.

Jimbo
23rd December 2004, 02:02 PM
i always, well not 'always', but i say, locks are there to keep honest people out. if a teif wants something thay can get it.

pipsqeek
23rd December 2004, 11:17 PM
I always say, "If somethings shiny enough, they'll notice, and take it".

pipsqeek

spargo
23rd December 2004, 11:30 PM
Remember kids, a $150 laptop cable lock is only as strong as the $50 IKEA timber shelf unit you have it tied to.

why bother - just get insurance..

Kreats
23rd December 2004, 11:38 PM
I suppose it's good stopping people who don't just happen to have a pair of boltcutters on them.

Just like those removable hard drive locks where all the keys are the same are pretty useless - but the chances of someone doing a snatch and grab are much reduced if you have it locked.

Rayd
23rd December 2004, 11:46 PM
meh..... contents insurance! :D

vid
9th February 2005, 10:32 PM
I had a security lock but it seemed VERY loose so I went and bought a NEW genuine Kensington one and it is no better (still loose) I think it used to be tighter, BUT I have noticed something sounds like it is loose inside the PB, could this be affecting the LOCK ??

If so is it easy to get apart and check or should I take and get in checked out at the dealer.

Vid

kit
11th February 2005, 07:14 AM
My friend's high-end Dell laptop (Inspiron 8500, I think) apparently has the Kensington lock attached to the motherboard - so if a thief was to yank at it, it would destroy the computer...

Which is a mixed blessing at best.

geektechnu
11th February 2005, 07:55 AM
Engadget reported last year that a number of "security locks" using those round keys could be opened in a few seconds by jamming the barrel of a Bic pen into it. This apparently affected some Kensington Microsaver laptop locks, MasterLock steering wheel locks and Kryptonite bike locks.

A certain model of Targus combination lock could also be opened easily using a strip of cardboard. Apparently, so can the Kensington Microsaver combination lock.

Commentary on laptop locks (http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/business/technology/personal_technology/9548209.htm?1c)
Masterlock - 13mb video (via engadget) (http://www.engadget.com/entry/3744297085452721/)
Kryptonite Evolution bike lock - 3mb WMV (via engadget) (http://www.engadget.com/entry/7796925370303347/)

The videos here serve as a warning to owners of these locks. Please do not use this material as inspiriation to start a life of crime :P
Manufacturers are aware of these faults - afiak affected locks are no longer being sold. A refund/replacement scheme should be in place for owners of affected locks.

CyBrTaz
11th February 2005, 09:26 AM
A few year back in an applecentre I worked in we had an attempted theift of 2 laptops, a Ti laptop that had the area around the lock bent out of shape, this caused the lock to come free and a ibook which had part of the case break off.

I have also see where a lock was forced and the metal piece that locks into the machine broke off. This was in the back of a G4 tower.

Unfortunatly, no matter what you do, some arsehole will try if they realy want it. Best sugestion is to limit the visability of the machine. DON'T get a Targus laptop bag (or simular), it screams "I'M A LAPTOP, TAKE ME!". Some of the STM bags are OK. When at home or work, a draw can hide it, or what I did when at work a half decent lockable draw did the job.

But above all get insurance, it might cost an extra $50 to $100 a year extra to your contents insurance but it is worth the piece of mind.

vid
13th February 2005, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by vid@Feb 9 2005, 11:02 PM
I had a security lock but it seemed VERY loose so I went and bought a NEW genuine Kensington one and it is no better (still loose) I think it used to be tighter, BUT I have noticed something sounds like it is loose inside the PB, could this be affecting the LOCK ??

If so is it easy to get apart and check or should I take and get in checked out at the dealer.

Vid
Has anyone got any ideas on whether I SHOULD take my Powerbook 17 apart MYSELF (to check out what is rattling) , or should I take it to the dealer, (I just don't want to leave it for a WEEK or so for something so simple)

Thanks

macintoshrules
13th February 2005, 09:49 AM
Have you taken many desktops apart before? Have you taken laptops apart before? Do you have a set of Torx screwdrivers and an anti-static wristband?

vid
13th February 2005, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by macintoshrules@Feb 13 2005, 10:19 AM
Have you taken many desktops apart before? Have you taken laptops apart before? Do you have a set of Torx screwdrivers and an anti-static wristband?
I've installed cards/drives on PC's before, but never taken a laptop apart, I've got some Torx Screwdrivers but not a wristband.

Vid

macintoshrules
13th February 2005, 11:04 AM
You can do it if you want, just be very very careful, and don't touch anything inside. Some components are extremely static-sensetive.