PDA

View Full Version : ASP.NET Programming on OSX?

thebookfreak58
13th February 2007, 07:59 PM
Hey Everyone!

For my IPT course in Yr 12 at school we are doing the ASP.NET System and we are programming using C#, HTML and CSS. Anyway, our teacher told us that to work at home we can install IIS on our computers so that we can work at home, I promply asked him if this was avalible for OSX and I was told it's only for Win. 2k and beyond.

So is there a way that I can do the ASP.NET programming on OSX? Or would I have to use Virtual PC?

BTW. I do have a PC, so if the worst comes to the worst, I can use that, but I'd prefer to use my iBook.

Quamen
13th February 2007, 08:03 PM
Use the PC. There is no way that I know of to get it working under OS X. You might want to look at mono (long shot here), but I doubt it'll help for an ASP application.

I don't think you'll enjoy using Visual Studio under Virtual PC on an iBook... Virtual PC runs like a dog at the best of times... kinda like Visual Studio. hehe.

thorevenge
13th February 2007, 08:08 PM
Mono works in 2 ways

As a framework for running .NET applications and as a module for Apache2.

As OSX only comes with Apache 1.3 branch installed, you will need to install the Developers Tools, download a copy of the Apache 2 source, compile and install and then compile and install Mono.

Macports (macports.org) will do this for you though. Or... or... you can download an Apache 2 binary for OS X from a number of different locations, all of them out of date.

XAMPP is one that comes to mind... - either you way you need to install Mono as a framework, and mod_mono to run asp.NET applications on your webserver.

(P.S. - use the PC, its craploads easier)

W2ttsy
13th February 2007, 09:06 PM
also voting PC. i tried when i had some ASP.NET free lance work and it was cheaper and faster to buy a clunker from hardly normal.

also get Visual Studio Express and SQL express. both are free and basically the same as the expensive as bugger pro version, just crippled so you cant deploy to commercial servers and stuff.

you can of course code on the mac if you dont mind having no intellisense coding support or compiler/debugger, but that would be a waste of time.

just do it on the PC, get it out of the way and then never touch the crap again.

your course is bad to be teaching MS based stuff anyway. its clunky, poor form of programming concepts, and its platform dependant.

should be doing Java, PHP, Postgres/My SQL and HTML/CSS

W2ttsy

thorevenge
13th February 2007, 09:34 PM
True, but then I know for a fact that most of the jobs advertised here in WA for web programmers are .NET or Java - more .NET

Seems people like .NET - at least here in WA.

jbillett
13th February 2007, 09:52 PM
just do it on the PC, get it out of the way and then never touch the crap again.

your course is bad to be teaching MS based stuff anyway. its clunky, poor form of programming concepts, and its platform dependant.
Please tell me your not a professional developer? While we can all agree that Windows XP and now Vista are awful OS, VS 2005 and .Net is something MS have done right... all be it after a few attempts. It is platform dependant yes, but it is certainly not clunky and is no worse than Java for programming concepts. There is a lot of healthy competition in the server scene and MS would be pushed aside if their offerings were second rate.

designers_hub
13th February 2007, 10:06 PM
ASP.NET is purely for windows.

you need a windows machine!

BiRDBRAiN
13th February 2007, 10:11 PM
Sucks under VPC, I've tried it.

Definitely need a decent speed Windoze "machine", unless you have something like Parallels or Boot Camp, the speed of Visual Studio is pretty pathetic on PPC :(

I had the same experience last year.

BiRDBRAiN
13th February 2007, 10:12 PM
Oh yes, and I'll just add a side note of "I hate Visual Basic .NET" LOL and I'm not looking forward to the part in my course where we learn C# as an "Advanced" web programming language LOL :D

designers_hub
13th February 2007, 10:19 PM
just go to your local pound and pick up a lonely PC waiting for a new home...

if you don't have a intel mac, don't bother with VPC and all that crap, trust me.

just go buy a cheap PC, you can pick up a intel p4 box for $200-$300 these days.

W2ttsy
13th February 2007, 11:21 PM
Please tell me your not a professional developer? While we can all agree that Windows XP and now Vista are awful OS, VS 2005 and .Net is something MS have done right... all be it after a few attempts. It is platform dependant yes, but it is certainly not clunky and is no worse than Java for programming concepts. There is a lot of healthy competition in the server scene and MS would be pushed aside if their offerings were second rate.

ive used it plenty of times and the amount of mucking around required to go from MS created objects to custom ones was clunky enough for me. Not to mention the migration path from ASP to ASP.NET isnt a smooth one. way less so than early JSP to more current stuff.

Each person has their personal style and opinion, and thats mine. Some people bow down to .NET like its a godsend, but personally i hated it and have switched back to opensource options instead.
Also, i use Java Server at work in a enterprise environment and have never had any qualms about its strength or abilities.

I will agree that VS is well ahead of Xcode tho, its a worthy app, just needs a framework thats as good.

Also MS will never get pushed aside. Govt/big business already have alot of money spent in MS products, so adding one more isnt hard for them. Its the small markets that dont have their hand in MS pants that are stealing the share away from MS. Mainly because not every S/M business has a spare $15k to spend on software and infrastructure.

W2ttsy

BiRDBRAiN
14th February 2007, 06:35 AM
My biggest problem with doing .NET anything (VB or C#) is the platform dependance it creates.

I will be soon doing a rewrite of a system which used Access and VB (not .NET) using PHP and MySQL.

This at least will leave the organisation open to choosing to use different databases and other modules which PHP is capable of handling.

My biggest problem with Visual Basic is its syntax, I am much more comfortable with PHP and Java style syntax.

Plus the fact that I can use any number of development environments to code it.

g5agogo
14th February 2007, 08:07 AM
"albeit"

not

"all be it"

sorry, pet peeve ;-)

Edit: oh, and just use the pc you already have

W2ttsy
14th February 2007, 09:36 AM
"albeit"

not

"all be it"

sorry, pet peeve ;-)

Edit: oh, and just use the pc you already have

i picked up on that too, just couldnt be assed saying anything about it...

W2ttsy

susiegb
14th February 2007, 10:21 AM
What's the problem with 'albeit' ?? It's a word dating back to about the 12th century ... I'm all for using different and somewhat unusual words - keep the language alive and complex I say! :)

thebookfreak58
17th February 2007, 08:29 PM
Hey everyone,

Thanks for the replies. I was pretty sure I could only do it on a PC. (already got one so no biggy).

I think the reason that we are doing a MS based course at school is that, the majority of people use Windows at school and IIS is built into XP (so in theory the school isn't responsible if something stuffs up) and that way they don't need to give everyone software (Apache, PHP MySQL etc) to install. And by our IPT calss, everyone except me (OSX) and another guy (Linux) use Windows....So yeah....

It's a shame I can't work on my lappy....Oh well...

Quamen
18th February 2007, 08:37 AM
Oh yes, and I'll just add a side note of "I hate Visual Basic .NET" LOL and I'm not looking forward to the part in my course where we learn C# as an "Advanced" web programming language LOL :D

My biggest problem with Visual Basic is its syntax, I am much more comfortable with PHP and Java style syntax.

You'll probably end up liking C#. I agree VBs (in all forms) syntax is painful. C# on the other hand is a nice mixture of C and Java syntax.