PDA

View Full Version : anyone else have trouble with camino?

antechinus55
12th February 2007, 05:45 PM
I like to use shareware and open source software where possible (and register it). I have used Firefox since it was beta, or win, linux and osx and Camino for about a year. But the current version of camino crashes nearly every hour and I am a bit sick of it. Is this anyone elses experience?

queraxus
12th February 2007, 05:46 PM
What version are you using?

Both nightlies and betas are crashing at least once a day. That's why they're called nightlies and betas.

antechinus55
12th February 2007, 05:52 PM
What version are you using?

Both nightlies and betas are crashing at least once a day. That's why they're called nightlies and betas.
whatever the last stable was. I have opened safari now (almost forgot it was on the hdd).

froggy
12th February 2007, 06:55 PM
I am running Camino Version 2006091101 (1.0.3) with OS X10.4.8 on my G4 iMac.

Can't remember when I last had a crash of Camino.

Cheers,
Andrew

thorevenge
12th February 2007, 07:19 PM
No problems with Camino here either.

Moylance
12th February 2007, 07:43 PM
Hey

I'm a Camino lover and user and have had no problems. I'm currently using 1.0.3 (2006091101)

It still has a few problems of all the Bookmarks going Poof and going away unexpectedly. Something I've learnt to live with but it hasn't happened lately..

*Smacks head on some raw straight timber....*

Aa
12th February 2007, 08:08 PM
When i had my brief affair with Camino (i think we broke up after about 3 months), i had several bouts of crashes - often when logging into ATAU or joining my wireless network.

Safari gives me similar grief, but Firefox never has funnily enough.

Don't worry mate. Firefox 3 will have native widgets when it comes out. Then you can have your cocoa and eat it too.

bartron
12th February 2007, 08:33 PM
Been a camino user since before it was V 1.0 and never had a problem on G3, G4 or intel macs.

What plugins (if any) are you running?

Bartron

nard
12th February 2007, 09:15 PM
Very rarely has Camino crashed on me. I can't recall it crashing recently at all. I'm running version 2006091101 (1.0.3Int). It's stable and fast.

Bart Smastard
12th February 2007, 09:23 PM
I'm running 2006021400 (1.0) and never had it crash. Although I only use Camino for blogging, 'cos the Blogger editor works better than in Safari.

forgie
12th February 2007, 09:42 PM
1.0.3 here, no problems whatsover. I'd suggest that either you're regularly viewing a badly coded page (that brings Camino down due to some nasty bug) or that you have a corrupted install or pref file or something.

My mind is boggling at anyone moving to Safari FROM Camino for stability reasons. I switch TO Camino FROM Safari because I was sick of the crashes and sl..u...gg......ish behaviour when I have 20+ tabs open.

I'm just wondering: will FF3.0 render Camino obsolete? I read tonight that one of the Camino devs works for Google and is developing it in his "20%-time (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google%21#.22Twenty_percent.22_time)".

antechinus55
12th February 2007, 10:40 PM
Been a camino user since before it was V 1.0 and never had a problem on G3, G4 or intel macs.

What plugins (if any) are you running?

Bartron
plain vanilla install, so only java, flash and such. Just checked its v1.0.1, so I might try updating
forgie, I did not move for stability reasons, it was just on the drive, and I could not be bothered downloading firefox.

forgie
12th February 2007, 11:52 PM
plain vanilla install, so only java, flash and such. Just checked its v1.0.1, so I might try updating
forgie, I did not move for stability reasons, it was just on the drive, and I could not be bothered downloading firefox.
Fair enough. I did use to have a few stability issues when I was on 1.0.1, at which point I switched to Safari! :) 1.0.3 has been the most stable browser I've ever used on OSX.

Also, every Camino user should know about http://pimpmycamino.com/ and in particular CaminoSession, MoreCamino and UnifyCamino. CaminoSession is fantastic - if your computer crashes or you need to restart, Camino will remember every tab/window that you have open, and re-open them automatically the next time you launch Camino. :thumbup:

Edit: I just watched the video of Mike Pinkerton on pimpmycamino. Fascinating stuff if you're interested in how OSS projects work, and the history of browser projects.