PDA

View Full Version : cube problems :(

dovla
22nd December 2004, 06:16 PM
hello,

my pretty cube just died this morning for some strange reason. i was reading the email when the cube just got frozen and it switched itself off, after that nothing is coming on the screens at all, i still hear the startup chime and tha hard drive making the noise but i dont have anything on my monitors. I should mantion that cube has flashed PC ati radeon 7000 card, so after talking with couple of guys on the IRC we came to conclusion that it could be the video card or power supply.

Anyone had this problem before ?

regards
vlado jancek

Nevets_Anderson
22nd December 2004, 06:51 PM
Just a very rough thought

Does the cube have an internal battrie? (Usually you can replace it) If it does put a multiemeter on it and see if it has any charge ... replace it if you can...

I know this works in a lot of older macs that exhibit this sort of problem

Good Luck

Nevets

g4cube
15th January 2005, 06:25 PM
The cube does have a battery in it and that may help to change it it also could be the ideo card as mention try to re-seat it and see if that helps. If not try it in another mac if you can and try one that fits yours thre are lots if you know who to ask.
Did you get it sorted out mate?

Edge
15th January 2005, 06:42 PM
Matt's right. It is most likely the video card. Try the original Rage for testing.

Check that the card and the AGP riser are seated properly. Also check your monitor connections.

It is also possible that the 3.3V supply has blown on your VRM. Check the board (located on the edge of the motherboard next to the video card) for any burn marks or other visible damage.

purana
15th January 2005, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by dovla@Dec 22 2004, 06:16 PM
hello,

my pretty cube just died this morning for some strange reason. i was reading the email when the cube just got frozen and it switched itself off, after that nothing is coming on the screens at all, i still hear the startup chime and tha hard drive making the noise but i dont have anything on my monitors. I should mantion that cube has flashed PC ati radeon 7000 card, so after talking with couple of guys on the IRC we came to conclusion that it could be the video card or power supply.

Anyone had this problem before ?

regards
vlado jancek
It can't be the power supply, as your still getting a boot chime... if you got no boot chime, then yes you could say power supply. But considering you are, its not the power supply. I'd certainly go video card first... boot chime is produced by the logic board etc.. aka its getting power.. :)

Currawong
15th January 2005, 09:18 PM
I've heard plenty of flashed video cards causing problems.

Edge
15th January 2005, 10:10 PM
My other advice is to head over to cubeowner.com (http://www.cubeowner.com). You'll not get better advice anywhere ...

dovla
15th January 2005, 10:58 PM
thanks for help guys but ive upgraded to G5 so i dont need the cube anymore (at least for now), just to let you know its not the video card as have tested it in powermac g4 and it booted just fine, the problem with my cube is the slot on the logic board where agp raiser card goes, i'll try to take photo tomorrow and post it.

thanks
dovla