PDA

View Full Version : Parallels Desktop RC2 Out Now

gehenna
5th February 2007, 10:17 AM
as reported on engadget: http://www.engadget.com/2007/02/04/parallels-desktop-for-mac-beta-build-hits-release-candidate-2/

only problem for now is that it only takes the US serial codes, so we will need to use a 30 day trial code to check it out. However that makes me think a full release is coming this month??

sunrisesister
5th February 2007, 10:21 AM
sweeeeee-eet!

cgollner
5th February 2007, 10:55 AM
On Parallels website they have this regarding the serial nos.

NOTE! The activation keys for local versions of Parallels Desktop for Mac do not work with our current RC2 build of Parallels Desktop for Mac. This regards to UK, German, French, Italian, Spanish, Czech, Polish and Japanese versions. If you’re using any of those local Parallels products and want to try and evaluate our great features such as Coherence, USB 2.0 support, Transporter, and other, please order the 30-day trial activation key below.

Australia isn't listed. Does that mean that our codes, potentially, fall into the US category?

If someone is running RC1 build 3120 and would like to try and see what happens with RC2 then please post back with your results.

Chris

mechcon
5th February 2007, 11:12 AM
oldish news i guess :\

I've got it working at work and at home, and it runs vista a bit better (but not significantly)

decryption
5th February 2007, 11:13 AM
I just installed it and it worked fine :)

JimWOz
5th February 2007, 11:31 AM
Unfortunately this latest build is still broken for older 16 bit applications. - at least I think that's what the problem is. The current official release build 1970 works fine with these apps though.

I've downloaded and tried every one of the new 3xxx betas over the past couple of months, and despite the email transmission of auto generated bug reports every time it crashes on opening an old app, it has not been fixed.... yet.

So I'm sticking to build 1970.

I've had no problems with serial numbers for the betas, but my copy is a download from Parallels site, not a locally purchased boxed version.

WonderBoy
5th February 2007, 11:44 AM
I love the fact that it can use your Boot Camp volume so no having to install Windows twice if you want to use both Bootcamp and Parallels.

Currawong
5th February 2007, 12:11 PM
I've carried over my XP Home install through the builds with no issues. The ride for Bootcamp partition users has been far rougher though, from what I gather.

gbuikstra
5th February 2007, 12:35 PM
Just dowloaded it but can't open the dmg file.

any suggestions?

Currawong
5th February 2007, 01:00 PM
Download it again maybe? Sometimes hidden proxies at your ISP cache part of the file only, making it impossible to download.

ricochet
5th February 2007, 01:43 PM
I installed this without any issues a couple of days ago, it just upgraded my pre-registered copy.

I am very interested in getting it working so that it runs off my bootcamp partition but have heard so many bad stories so far that I'm waiting for the official release before trying that one - don't want to corrupt my VM for nothing. Also part of the beta notes say that you can't currently "suspend" your parallels session when it's running from the boot-camp partition which I assume means you can't put your mac to sleep with it running. That's a killer flaw for me currently.

Everything else seems pretty peachy for me though, no other complaints

bartron
5th February 2007, 01:53 PM
I installed this without any issues a couple of days ago, it just upgraded my pre-registered copy.

I am very interested in getting it working so that it runs off my bootcamp partition but have heard so many bad stories so far that I'm waiting for the official release before trying that one - don't want to corrupt my VM for nothing. Also part of the beta notes say that you can't currently "suspend" your parallels session when it's running from the boot-camp partition which I assume means you can't put your mac to sleep with it running. That's a killer flaw for me currently.

Everything else seems pretty peachy for me though, no other complaints

I could never get it to run from my bootcamp partition. BSOD on boot. Never harmed the installation though (I harmed it later though by deleting it)

As for suspending the session , this makes sense as you could in theory suspend the OS with apps running then re-boot to the bootcamp patition which XP will treat as a clean boot. Your suspended session could then be corrupeted (files changed, apps added or removed etc). The only way I can see this working is if parallels detects if you booted to bootcamp rather than through parallels and after a warning, deletes the previous suspend information (which is essentially just a snapshot of what was in memory)

Bartron

aafuss
7th February 2007, 04:29 AM
Are the Australian copies serial numbers compatible with RC2?

OziMac
7th February 2007, 06:29 AM
Finally it appears the Bootcamp feature works somewhat properly - it certainly didn't in build 3036. Can't wait for the final release. :)

MacNut
7th February 2007, 06:48 AM
I am using build 3150 issued 1/2/07 which was accepted with my purchased (pre-registered) copy.

When trying to acces the bootcamp partitioon it wants me to reactivate Windows which then tells me I have exceeded the number of time etc and to contact Microsoft which was expected. I may wait until I put Vista on and see what happens but have heard Vista does not work all that well in Parallels at this stage.