PDA

View Full Version : iPhone - will an American unit work in Australia?

danno74
4th February 2007, 08:27 PM
Hi,

I'm aware that if I was to buy an iPhone from the States when they're released, certain functions wouldn't work, but would I be able to whack my SIM card in and use it with standard phone functionality here in Australia?

Cheers :thumbup:

luke_in_tas
4th February 2007, 08:28 PM
No. The iPhones released in the US will be locked and will only work on the Cingular network.

mvjs
4th February 2007, 08:37 PM
The phone is quad band GSM meaning that theoredically it should have no network difficulties.

That's up in the air right now. There's a few hurdles;
1. Will it be avalible without a contract?
2. Is the SIM card attached to the main board?
3. Is it locked to Cingular's network?

If you found a phone on eBay which was unlocked and we gather that the SIM card can be swaped, I can't see why it couldn't be poped on to a Telstra plan.

macsyd
4th February 2007, 08:40 PM
You could always sign up to Cingular and roam in Aus! $$$$$

f1_power
4th February 2007, 08:42 PM
If its locked to Cingular which it would be then No.

If a way to unlock the phone is found and you're willing to risk doing it then you would probably be able to connect it to Telstra which network features EDGE to allow the data traffic.

MrJesseRoss
4th February 2007, 08:43 PM
The phone is quad band GSM meaning that theoredically it should have no network difficulties.

That's up in the air right now. There's a few hurdles;
1. Will it be avalible without a contract?
2. Is the SIM card attached to the main board?
3. Is it locked to Cingular's network?

If you found a phone on eBay which was unlocked and we gather that the SIM card can be swaped, I can't see why it couldn't be poped on to a Telstra plan.

I believe that the Cingular-exclusivity thing means that they'll only be sold on a Cingular contract, TO Cingluar, and locked to the network. Presumably until the end of the contract.

spilla
4th February 2007, 08:45 PM
You could always sign up to Cingular and roam in Aus! $$$$$

No you can't actually. You have to be living in an area that is serviced by Cingular, and if you don't return to that area every now and then, Cingular will cancel your service. (I think that's how it goes, anyway)

gpillans
4th February 2007, 08:46 PM
I don't think Apple/Cingular would even offer an unlocking service.

Becuase they have their special deal going between them, and a couple of the features will only work with Cingular, I really doubt that an unlocking service will be available.

luke_in_tas
4th February 2007, 08:52 PM
In the US the iPhone will work exclusively on the Cingular network (see here (http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2007/01/09cingular.html) and here (http://www.cingular.com/cell-phone-service/specials/iPhone.jsp)). That means it will be locked, otherwise people could just pop in a SIM card from another US mobile network.

After its release in the US it will likely be release in Canada. Current info suggests that there Rogers Wireless will be the sole provider (http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/cellphones/go-canada-iphone-confirmed-on-rogers-wireless-231324.php) (i.e. those phones will be locked to the Rogers network).

That likely means the European releases will be locked to specific networks in Europe - to stop people in the US getting hold of unlocked phones and using them on networks other than Cingulars. Which in turn likely means we won't be able to get the phone in Australia until Apple have done a deal with a network here (presumably when the phone reaches Asian distribution in 2008).

danno74
4th February 2007, 09:04 PM
Well that just sucks balls. Pfffft... looks like I'll have to move to America then :)

marc
4th February 2007, 09:14 PM
Wait until the phones go to europe... that'll probably mean 3G and they'll be easier to unlock (I think).

msilsby
4th February 2007, 09:23 PM
A lot of the time, when a handset is locked to a network, it is country specific. Example would be the big trade of second hand phones out of Australia due to our networks having IMEI and sim blocking. As such, taking it out of the country of origin may make it alright to use.

Even if it is sim locked, how long do you think it will take before non-locked phones start to appear on ebay? Even if you were to unlock the handset, would this result in the handset being out of warranty? Obviously Apple is trying to be very controlling in this whole endevour, but to what extent can they afford to piss of customers?

OziMac
7th February 2007, 04:30 PM
Check this out - Garry Barker reckons Telstra is testing the iPhone (http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2007/02/06/1170524094459.html), and neither company is commenting - sounds promising! Also means that the US iPhones may work in Australia, subject to any further technical limitations put on them. :)

Brains
7th February 2007, 04:35 PM
The iPhony, as it currently stands (do remember it is a good six months away from public purchase even in the US) only does GSM+EDGE. Telstra are the only carrier here with EDGE.

It is assumed that the additional six months on the australian & European release of the iPhony is to allow Apple and their chosen carriers to implement CDMA or 3G.

Patience, grasshopper :)

B.

Exocet
7th February 2007, 05:31 PM
Check this out - Garry Barker reckons Telstra is testing the iPhone (http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2007/02/06/1170524094459.html), and neither company is commenting - sounds promising! Also means that the US iPhones may work in Australia, subject to any further technical limitations put on them. :)

SEE!@%!?!? SEE WHAT I SAID!? Nobody ever listens to me :( Its special when Garry Barker says it but when I say it (here (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/showthread.php?p=241251&highlight=telstra#post241251), and in more depth here (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/showthread.php?p=241698&highlight=telstra#post241698)), its meaningless!@ I'm gonna go eat some worms now :cry:

The fact that Rogers Wireless in Canada is getting it is even MORE weight to my initial claim (made right back in the inital hype-phase of the iPhoe release). Cingular - HSDPA 3G850MHz network. Rogers Wireless - HSDPA 3G850MHz network. Telstra - HSDPA 3G850MHz. These are the only three carriers in the world to operate these networks, and Apple have already stated that they're working on a 3G version. With these carriers already in-bed with them, they would be screaming for Apple to use the 850MHz spectrum.

Case in point, Telstra will get it here.

OziMac
7th February 2007, 06:10 PM
Hey mate, I don't remember disagreeing with you - just that it sucks to be stuck with Telstra, but even that wouldn't keep me away from an iPhone. :)

Amzy
7th February 2007, 06:16 PM
ok guys...i can provide some info. I work for an organization connected "very closely" with telstra and i know someone personally who is working on the iPhone project for telstra. So, the run down is that the phone would be exclusive to Telstra, on a two year contract, have 3G and would include liveTV functionality...........please dont quote me on this!

OziMac
7th February 2007, 06:24 PM
Yeah, I'd take that sodomy from Telstra - can't help but get excited since they're already working on it.

If Rogers are ramping up for a potential June launch as well (did they specifically state that the June launch was US or North America? They never differentiated Canada from 'Europe' or 'Asia' - for that matter, neither did they differentiate Australia) then maybe Telstra will get in on the action sooner rather than later? Hell, they need all the help they can get as far as I'm concerned. ;)

icant
7th February 2007, 06:58 PM
please dont quote me on this!

Okay.

MrJesseRoss
7th February 2007, 07:24 PM
Hypothetically, who would provide the repairs and such - Telstra or Apple? Is there an Apple repair cenrer in Australia, like there are Nokia repair centres?

moo
7th February 2007, 07:41 PM
SEE!@%!?!? SEE WHAT I SAID!? Nobody ever listens to me :( Its special when Garry Barker says ...

Case in point, Telstra will get it here.

God! Anyone but Tel$ta. !!

Exocet
7th February 2007, 08:31 PM
Who's Tel-dollar-ta?

Amzy
8th February 2007, 11:32 AM
according to my sources it will be a early 2008 launch in australia as apple would first need to annouce it's 3G version of the iPhone ehich would be after it's launch in the US with the 2.5G version

ricochet
8th February 2007, 12:39 PM
Wouldn't Telstra want a NextG version of the iPhone?? Surely that's pretty unlikely, and Telstra is on a massive NextG push currently which operates differently to most other 3G networks in Australia and worldwide... It would be far more likely to be released as a more vanilla 3G handset, if it gets 3G functionality at all.

mechcon
8th February 2007, 12:48 PM
As for repair centres? I assume there will be a new certification offered for technicians to repair iphones (as there was for macs, and ipods).

marc
8th February 2007, 01:20 PM
Wouldn't Telstra want a NextG version of the iPhone??
Doesn't NextG = 3G?

And hasn't it been mentioned that the iPhone will be 3G for EU and Asia?

goldcoaster
8th February 2007, 01:47 PM
You would have to buy it for around US$500 plus pay month fee to Cingular (a two year contract), then unlock it before you could put a sim in . Not worth it really is it.

Hi,

I'm aware that if I was to buy an iPhone from the States when they're released, certain functions wouldn't work, but would I be able to whack my SIM card in and use it with standard phone functionality here in Australia?

Cheers :thumbup:

- GoldCoaster (http://goldcoaster.wordpress.com)

goldcoaster
8th February 2007, 01:49 PM
Doesn't NextG = 3G?

And hasn't it been mentioned that the iPhone will be 3G for EU and Asia?

Next G is 3G but a different freq and speed. A normal 3G phone is not compatible.
I haven't heard anywhere that outside US will be 3G.

- GoldCoaster (http://goldcoaster.wordpress.com)

ricochet
8th February 2007, 02:25 PM
Yeah, I have a 3G Nokia phone but it is not able to be used on Tel$tra's NextG network - you have to buy one of very few specific handsets which can operate on the correct frequency. I believe there is one other standard upon which NextG is based which is used somewhere else in the world, but almost every 3G phone sold is not compatible with it.

Which makes you think that probably the iPhone wouldn't be, even if it were going to be released in a 3G variant soon after the US launch date. Which incidentally, I don't think it will. It will either be 3G to start with as an extra surprise at launch, or it won't get 3G for quite some time.

dlmuller
8th February 2007, 03:39 PM
[QUOTE=marc;255154]Doesn't NextG = 3G?

Telstra's NextG is 3G only operating on the 850Mhz band that the old CDMA occupied. It is basically the same features as 3G but on a wider network coverage equal to or greater than CDMA

Exocet
8th February 2007, 04:29 PM
Sigh. This is what I was getting at - NextG is Telstra's trademark for a UMTS HSDPA network operating on the 850MHz. Both Cingular and Rogers Wireless operate the same network standard, UMTS with HSDPA on 850MHz. This is why I'm saying that when Apple go with UMTS, they will support 850MHz to keep Cingular and Rogers Wireless happy, and as such they've then got a phone which supports NextG out of the box.

marc
8th February 2007, 06:08 PM
Well in that case... I might have to switch to Telstra :(

aussiehoudini
8th February 2007, 07:28 PM
Far as i'm concerned it gives all the other phone companies in Oz 12 months to come up with an iphone beater.

dlmuller
9th February 2007, 08:19 AM
Sigh. This is what I was getting at - NextG is Telstra's trademark for a UMTS HSDPA network operating on the 850MHz. Both Cingular and Rogers Wireless operate the same network standard, UMTS with HSDPA on 850MHz. This is why I'm saying that when Apple go with UMTS, they will support 850MHz to keep Cingular and Rogers Wireless happy, and as such they've then got a phone which supports NextG out of the box.

Exocet, I hear your pain!

lansd2000
9th February 2007, 08:55 AM
i hope i will b able to use it on 3Mobile when they start HSPDA which starts 1st half of this year (:

DOWN WITH TELSTRA

lansd2000
9th February 2007, 08:55 AM
i hope i will b able to use it on 3Mobile when they start HSPDA which starts 1st half of this year (:

DOWN WITH TELSTRA

EDIT: sorri.. accidentally posted again :p

marc
9th February 2007, 09:11 AM
Far as i'm concerned it gives all the other phone companies in Oz 12 months to come up with an iphone beater.
Nah, I'd much rather have the original iPhone!

How many worthy competitors for the iPod exist?

Kuma
9th February 2007, 12:53 PM
i think it is very possible that all companies will be able to support the iphone... whether they support all their functions or not is a different thing.

remember the iphone as it stands is a compromised brick to work with cingular. when apple begin shipping units to europe (whose mobile companies are much more like australia) things will probably change

telstra may have an agreement much like cingular..
but Im almost positive you will be able to buy a european or hong kong iphone and use it pretty much out of the box with a 3g sim card from the carrier of your choice

dRanged
9th February 2007, 06:45 PM
There aren't many vendors in the voicemail space. The modifications to the voicemail system that the iphone implements in the Cingular environment are on the same Israeli voicemail platform that Telstra use.

so, Same platform, same HSPDA band & technology, and rumors of iPhone trials in Telstra. Hmmmmm.